Thread: Upcoming Review of the Dharma Gates

Upcoming Review of the Dharma Gates

Once again for the seventh year, I invite you all to join me at my Blog Space to review the 108 Gates of Dharma Illumination as presented in appendix #3 of the Nishijima-Cross translation of Dogen's Shobogenzo. We'll do this review by developing a Gatha for each gate and reciting it 3 or 4 times that day to reinforce our understanding and perhaps gain some new insights.
    The review will start on the Winter Solstice this coming Saturday, December 21st and continue for108 days; taking us to April 8, the day which all of western Asia celebrates the birth of the baby Buddha. That celebration day is known as Vesak. Don't forget, I hope to see you on my Blog Space on Saturday

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Lovely!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Shokai. I look forward to following along again this year.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Doshin
    St

_()_

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Shokai

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gassho
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Very looking forawrd to this.

I mat not interact with every post, but i definatly benefited from it, and have you in my thoughts.

Thankyou!

geoff.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

hi Shokai,

where do i find your Blog Space on the 21first ?

aprapti

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

I think it was your blog I found last season. I had wondered if it would be continued.

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

I have waited for the right time to start. Now is perfect - looking forward to this!
    Thank you, Shokai!

@aprapti
    Below Shokai's picture you see a number next to "Blog Entries". You can click on it and get to his blog.

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

I am looking forward to this. Thank you, Shokai.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

I would like to join this.
    Still cannot find the blogspot via my phone? Could you possibly provide a link.
    Gassho
    Richard
    SAT/lah

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Try here? There will be a subscription link on the page, I think.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/blog.php?12289

_()_
    gassho
    doyu sat/lah today

Looking forward to it! Are there 108 gates for the same reason there are 108 mala beads? I never found a definite meaning to the significance of 108.

Gassho,
    Tyler

SatToday

Hi Folks,

In case anyone is interested I set up a twitter feed that will post the daily Gate. The twitter feed is @108Gates

https://twitter.com/108gates

It is technically a twitter Bot - I am running some code daily. If something looks wrong it is because my code broke.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by TyZa View Post
    Looking forward to it! Are there 108 gates for the same reason there are 108 mala beads? I never found a definite meaning to the significance of 108.

Gassho,
    Tyler

SatToday
    Ah, about the 108 ... it is a number that has had significance in Indian numerology far beyond Buddhism, and which, a mathematician once explained to me, is itself a rather unusual number mathematically (but I forget why )

For just some of the many meanings of '108'. have a gander at this. It is wonderful:

The Indian Subcontinent rosary or set of mantra counting has 108 beads. 108 has been a sacred number in the Indian Subcontinent for a very long time. This number is explained in many different ways.

The ancient Indians were excellent mathematicians and 108 may be the product of a precise mathematical operation (e.g. 1 power 1 x 2 power 2 x 3 power 3 = 108) which was thought to have special numerological significance.

Powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power=1; 2 to 2nd power=4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power=27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27=108

Sanskrit alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.

Sri Yantra: On the Sri Yantra there are marmas where three lines intersect, and there are 54 such intersections. Each intersections has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti qualities. 54 x 2 equals 108. Thus, there are 108 points that define the Sri Yantra as well as the human body.

9 times 12: Both of these numbers have been said to have spiritual significance in many traditions. 9 times 12 is 108. Also, 1 plus 8 equals 9. That 9 times 12 equals 108.

Heart Chakra: The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, sushumna leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.

Marmas: Marmas or marmastanas are like energy intersections called chakras, except have fewer energy lines converging to form them. There are said to be 108 marmas in the subtle body.

Time: Some say there are 108 feelings, with 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and 36 related to the future.

Astrology: There are 12 constellations, and 9 arc segments called namshas or chandrakalas. 9 times 12 equals 108. Chandra is moon, and kalas are the divisions within a whole.
    Much much more here ...

http://www.salagram.net/108meaning.html

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo!

Tyler

SatToday

Thank you Doyu for posting the LInk that is at the bottom of the "Forum" page. To find it click on the "forum" tab above and scroll down to Treleaf Statistics. Each day it shows the last Blog entry. You can also access my blog by clicking on my avatar and scroll down on my profile to access my Blog.

See you all there tomorrow
    gassho, Shokai 🙏🙏🙏

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

The Indian Subcontinent rosary or set of mantra counting has 108 beads. 108 has been a sacred number in the Indian Subcontinent for a very long time. This number is explained in many different ways.

The ancient Indians were excellent mathematicians and 108 may be the product of a precise mathematical operation (e.g. 1 power 1 x 2 power 2 x 3 power 3 = 108) which was thought to have special numerological significance.

Powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power=1; 2 to 2nd power=4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power=27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27=108

Sanskrit alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.

Sri Yantra: On the Sri Yantra there are marmas where three lines intersect, and there are 54 such intersections. Each intersections has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti qualities. 54 x 2 equals 108. Thus, there are 108 points that define the Sri Yantra as well as the human body.

9 times 12: Both of these numbers have been said to have spiritual significance in many traditions. 9 times 12 is 108. Also, 1 plus 8 equals 9. That 9 times 12 equals 108.

Heart Chakra: The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, sushumna leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.

Marmas: Marmas or marmastanas are like energy intersections called chakras, except have fewer energy lines converging to form them. There are said to be 108 marmas in the subtle body.

Time: Some say there are 108 feelings, with 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and 36 related to the future.

Astrology: There are 12 constellations, and 9 arc segments called namshas or chandrakalas. 9 times 12 equals 108. Chandra is moon, and kalas are the divisions within a whole.
    Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Washin
    st
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Ah, about the 108 ... it is a number that has had significance in Indian numerology far beyond Buddhism, and which, a mathematician once explained to me, is itself a rather unusual number mathematically (but I forget why )

For just some of the many meanings of '108'. have a gander at this. It is wonderful:

Much much more here ...

http://www.salagram.net/108meaning.html

Gassho, J

STLah
    Love stuff like this. Thank you for this information, the number patterns and the details. I will save this, and the links.

Love mala beads .... I tend to collect them. I still have rosaries around also, I just haven't used them in years. I even have several tasbih, including a few gifted from friends, and one set from Makkah.

Well, I'm off on a tangent, but this topic really does fascinate me.

Gassho2
    Kim
    St. Lh

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Thank you Doyu for posting the LInk that is at the bottom of the "Forum" page. To find it click on the "forum" tab above and scroll down to Treleaf Statistics. Each day it shows the last Blog entry. You can also access my blog by clicking on my avatar and scroll down on my profile to access my Blog.

See you all there tomorrow
    gassho, Shokai

stlah
    So I can find it again.

Gassho
    Kim
    St. lh

If you subscribe to Shokai’s blog you have the option of how you want to receive the notification. I have set up notification at “email me”which means that each day Shokai’s new blog posting is delivered to my mailbox. Easy!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

As always I'm loving receiving these as emails every morning. This year I'm writing them as headings in my new one line a day, 5 year diary.
    Thank you Shokai
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

In the NSW bushfires, yesterdays reading;

"May we, together with all buddhas;
    explore our skills in controlling actions;
    That the three poisons* may be eliminated.

Im doing what i can with people, everything else is up to them.

On one hand - im not ever doing enough.

On the other hand - im not actually there own hand!.

Thankyou.
    LaH
    SatToday (and every day)..
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

I am embarrassed to reveal my ignorance, but Treeleaf is nothing if not compassionate. Please, what is a dharma gate? I have seen Shokai's posts, which are lovely, but being so new to Buddhism, I'm not sure how to integrate them into my practice.

Gassho,
    Kate

satlah
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    I am embarrassed to reveal my ignorance, but Treeleaf is nothing if not compassionate. Please, what is a dharma gate? I have seen Shokai's posts, which are lovely, but being so new to Buddhism, I'm not sure how to integrate them into my practice.

Gassho,
    Kate

satlah
    It is, so I have heard, a "way into" dharma, a teaching or set of teachings about reality, or the word "dharma" may also refer to reality itself. For example, the realization that we are all both ignorant and not ignorant can be a Dharma gate.

_()_
    gassho
    doyu sat today and lah

Kate;
    No such thing as embarrassment. We are all beginners and there are no stupid questions. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner but Doyu stepped up and not to cause any confusion, I'm going with her words.

Doyu;
    Thank you for answering the question. btw, I've read your book twice now ( have the kindle version and the hard copy arrived today.) and truly love it. You have done so well. Thank you for your practice.

Getchi;
    On the other hand are four fingers and a thumb. You can never do enough but don't let that stop you from trying. That's sure one big mess you have down there. Metta to you all.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    Last edited by Shokai; 01-07-2020 at 01:37 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai