Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 47 and 48

"Simple Living" - Chapters 47 and 48

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 47 - Notice Changes - Without intentionally trying to do something different from the days before, observe each day some small aspect of some small ritual that you do daily ... make coffee, take milk from the refrigerator, go to the bathroom, brush your teeth ... and just notice the tiny differences from the prior day, such as how you hold the coffee pot, where you place the toothpaste tube, etc.

Chapter 48 - Feel Instead of Think - Find a random small stone, and spend several minutes doing nothing else but closely examining its surface, feeling its texture, seeing if it has a smell and (if truly brave) trying its taste. Do not analyze intellectually your conclusion, but just experience the sensations.

Gassho, J

StLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-18-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

"Feel instead of think." Years ago I remember this lesson in relation to my climbing ropes. As I would uncoil them before a climb, let them run through my hands while belaying my climbing partner and re-coiling at the end of the climb I would feel in the rope where we had been The smell of the pine or sage that rubed against the rope as we approached a climb, the grit that became imbeded in the fiber during the climb. The story of where we were going or had been was a sensnriy link between myself and the rope, Picking up a stone and just sensing its story will bring immages of a landsape being formed, how it may have changed over time and how plants and animals left their marks in some way on the landsaape. All stories one might feel in a simple stone laying beside the trail.

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

Quote Originally Posted by lorax View Post
    "Feel instead of think." Years ago I remember this lesson in relation to my climbing ropes. As I would uncoil them before a climb, let them run through my hands while belaying my climbing partner and re-coiling at the end of the climb I would feel in the rope where we had been The smell of the pine or sage that rubed against the rope as we approached a climb, the grit that became imbeded in the fiber during the climb. The story of where we were going or had been was a sensnriy link between myself and the rope, Picking up a stone and just sensing its story will bring immages of a landsape being formed, how it may have changed over time and how plants and animals left their marks in some way on the landsaape. All stories one might feel in a simple stone laying beside the trail.

SAT TODAY
    That is poetry of life.

Doshin
    St

Excellent, Lorax! _()_

I regularly lick stoneware, but this seems a bit different. [Goes out looking for a bit of the local basalt]

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt