Thread: pondering cave art

pondering cave art

Hello ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/s...indonesia.html

This article about our artist ancestors made me consider the effort our archaeologists put into trying to decipher artist's marks. As an artist myself, and those of you TL'ers that make art of some sort or another we all know that often there is no rhyme or reason to what we do. I doubt that has changed much over the millennia... I love that these artist 42,900 years ago are baffling our contemporary scientists. What's up? Who can get in the mind of a living artist, much less one whose world we know so little about. I think with some pleasure, should the human race still be around in 43,000 years, what the scientists would think of Eva Hesse's work, or Agnes Martin, or Robert Irwin for heavens sake? What kind of gods would they think these artists were worshiping? James Joyce's Ulysses? Sylvia Plath's Ariel, or even Steve Reich's minimalist music?

We are an interesting and sometimes arrogant species.

Gassho
    Anne

~st~

Thank you Anne,
    whatever the reason was... shamans wishing for hunting luck and assigning animal properties to the hunters... artists describing the hunt with their associations...
    It makes me feel connected to those, some 10.000 years ago, feeling the drive to expressing their world.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Anne for the article. I have a hard enough time reading people that are alive.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__