Thread: Taiso

BigDavid

Taiso

Hi Jundo Sensei,

I was wondering if you were taught a system of taiso, prior to sitting, as part of the training you have received? If so would you be willing to make a video of the official Treeleaf Taiso 😊?

Gassho
    David Somers
    St

Hi David

Do you mean some exercise or stretching program? No, not really. I once saw 90 year old Nishijima Roshi do a set of knee bends in his room upon waking, but nothing more than that. I think it just was part of his ordinary exercise routine, not particularly in preparation for sitting.

Gassho J

Stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

BigDavid
    Yes. I found a few on YouTube while doing a websearch for the Okinawa goju ryu karate do shoreikan set of Daruma Taiso developed by Toguchi Seikichi Sensei. The Zen Taiso videos I found were interesting, and thought it would be great to learn one of our lineage.

Gassho
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dsomers View Post
    Yes. I found a few on YouTube while doing a websearch for the Okinawa goju ryu karate do shoreikan set of Daruma Taiso developed by Toguchi Seikichi Sensei. The Zen Taiso videos I found were interesting, and thought it would be great to learn one of our lineage.

Gassho
    David
    There are some videos by a Rinzai teacher named Shinkai Kane, and I take it that you mean these. While I know various Soto folks who happen to practice Yoga or the martial arts, I do not know of a particular emphasis on this in western Soto Zen. To my eyes, it simply looks like a nice routine of stretches and yoga poses (Shinkai is also a Yoga teacher). I see nothing wrong, and much right, about this. However, no, we don't have a particular style of this in our Sangha.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

BigDavid
    Hai. That is one of the the videos I found. However, I can no longer sit in seiza. My knees and hips are shot from years of training, accidents and being overweight. Perhaps I should just develop my own Taiso for my body.

David

We actually do have our own form of the Taiso - it is called the Hokey Pokey.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Lol that is so true!

David,

I think developing a set for yourself that helps with what you body needs is usually the best. That way it can be adjusted overtime as the body changes.

There are some great yoga instructors on YouTube. And if you look in the rohatsu retreat thread is a 15 min yoga session that one of our members made for us a fee years ago.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sattoday

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH