Thread: Any suggestions for sesshin for winter break?

Any suggestions for sesshin for winter break?

My wife and kids will be out to visit wife's family for 1 week 21 through 28.

I am thinking about using this solitude wisely. I'm open to travelling anywhere in the US. Any good recommendations on zen centers or places to visit and practice during this time?

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat2day

Hi Sam

That sounds great to have some time for sesshin.

A few places I would suggest include, Zen Mountain Monastery (NY), Tassajara (CA) and Upaya Zen Center (NM).

There are doubtless other places but those are the obvious ones to me. Jakuden has been to ZMM.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

What's with the SFZC? I'm not american, but if I had the opportunity to visit the Zen center in San Fransisco, lead by shohaku Okumura, I would to that:-)

Gassho
    Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Yes, SFZC is a good organisation! Tassajara is part of SFZC.

Shohaku Okumura leads Sanshinji in Bloomington, Indiana, though. It is sadly shut for 24-26 December.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Most places will have had Retreat for Rohatsu, early December ... so not so sure what is in late December. I will keep my eyes open (like in Zazen! )

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Sam,

Yokoji Zen Center does a new years sesshin. I have been there before and they were lovely to sit with. They are a full time monastery so you can go and sit with them whenever. Just double check which schedule they are using for when you want to go.

Gassho,

Shoka
    St

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shoka; 12-10-2019 at 11:09 PM.

San Francisco Zen Center has some events around the end of the year, and you may want to consider those. For example, this ...

https://www.sfzc.org/calendar/events...retreat-winter

l am not sure what area of the country you plan to visit.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Been tentatively planning visiting Tassajara for their summer visitor program. Seems like a nice place where I can bring my husband along without him needing to be part of the monastic routine.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.