Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ARTS: Poetry

Just a short something that came to me just before sleep last night...

Hours beyond sunset
    I read by electric light.
    With all of these words on the page,
    who can show me the sound
    of the wind in the trees?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One of my rare attempts at poetry. A fellow in an online Zen group posted this pessimistic piece ...

Oh my. Yes, the world can be seen so if we wish, but I rejoined ...

THE CURE FOR DUKKHA
    Oh, isn't this too Shikantastic?

Born yet beyond birth, silent and satisfied, safe, beyond desire, pain-is-not-suffering, cravings in healthy check, loving, approved and safe, nothing to beg or plead for, free of threat and fear, open hands without grabbing, never a drop of waste, one thing after another yet no place to go, studying and working for their own sake so rich, nobody to kill or be killed (thus we Vow to end the violence!), sex just sex in its time and place, yet more love, never a prisoner or pawn of hate or envy, no way to be apathetic to this treasure of a world, terror exists between our ears yet so does peace, the boredom and celebration of sitting cross legged facing a wall, the loudest chatter and blather of the world is both silence and words of endless wisdom to the attuned ear, the self is satisfied because the self is released, sometimes cheery & sometimes glum yet a Buddha's subtle smile in equanimity through all the ups and downs, sometimes energetic & sometimes weary yet the world keeps turning even as we run or rest, body slowing quickly suddenly falls apart yet there is no time or aging, thus disentangled and content in the face of even sickness and pain and death, moaning and curled up in agony some days as the body falls to pieces yet somehow wonderfully the spirit soars above it all ... observing, Master Dogen says, "If life comes, this is life. If death comes, this is death. There is no reason to try to escape from it, and their is no reason to cling to it either," for all things are impermanent and fall into collapse yet we can allow and flow along with the changes, one need not ask "how are things?" for all things are" just as they be," the people we love and lose and mourn ... mother father wife husband all close friends one after another even children ... go no where and are never lost never born nor die even as we lose them and cry at their graves, . itís only natural. The good books proclaim so thus they are good, isnít that wonderful!! May all beings know this treasure, not a matter of some 'stiff upper lip' but a straight upright back just sitting cross legged, the blah blah as simple as the "No going, no coming, no arising, no abiding; Baba wawa" that the Hokyo Zanmai sings - is anything said or not? Oh, so many people in this world are less fortunate, hungry and afraid, let us feed and house and comfort them then teach them how to be free, let us be grateful for all of it ... even the ugly and scary parts ... while we also seek to bring beauty and peace to this sometimes terrible world. No need to be a winner, for the game is already the goal, no gain no loss no win no lose as the ball enters Indra's Net. From the beginning of time, there is no beginning nor time, from the startless start gone gone utterly and completely gone to the other shore right where we sit and stand the Pure Lotus Land ... Svaha! No ifs or maybes about it.

Here is another Zen poem ...

Roses are red, violets are blue ...

... yet not.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Gad Horowitz‎

DUKKHA
    OH ISíNT THIS TOO PESSIMISTIC?

Torn from the womb screaming hungry helpless pining paining yearning for love approval safety beg and plead and threaten and whimper and bluster grab and waste one thing after another study work get rich kill study work get rich kill good sex bad sex no sex love hate envy apathy and terror boredom chatter and blather smug self-satisfied and cheery beery glum and weary as body slowly quickly suddenly falls apart more and more sickness and pain and fear of death and wishing for death body falls apart shredded hollowed more and more. how are things? things fall apart. grab some wisdom suck it up too bad for you if you donít. mourn the wounds the losses of mother father wife husband all close friends one after another even children . itís only natural. the good books say just relax and accept everything swallow and digest those insults and youíll have no problem. isnít that wonderful?
    stiff upper lip bite the bullet resentment and blah blah ďself expressionĒ. good for you for ďconfronting your own mortalityĒ enjoy compulsory equanimity if you know whatís good for you too bad if you donít live with uncertainty too bad for you if you wonít canít donít.
    Tell yourself well it wasnt all bad look on the bright side it wasnít all bad. I had a nice dinner and cute grandchildren. And a lovely zen garden. Other people are much less fortunate I should be grateful oh so grateful too bad for me if Iím not
    And then do it all over again, again and again maybe this time Iíll be a winner.
    But no. Same old same old. From beginningless time the same losing game. Like and share. Thenómaybe ó Gone gone utterly and completely gone. Svaha! Maybe.

That's the best piece on being fed up with Samsara I've ever read. Dharma seeking mind is partly born from having had enough of life and death cycle, right? From here it takes a split second to realise, to truly let go and swim with the Flow.
    Gassho
    Sat

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Just a short something that came to me just before sleep last night...

Hours beyond sunset
    I read by electric light.
    With all of these words on the page,
    who can show me the sound
    of the wind in the trees?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    That's lovely Kokuu! Thank you for sharing.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Poetry

ďWho can show me
    sound of wind in trees.Ē

Beautiful thought, beautiful so lines good and creative.
    Gassho
    st/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Nothing is so beautiful as spring--/ When weeds in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush: Thrush eggs look little low heavens, and thrush/ Through the echoing timber does not rise and wring/ The ear it strikes like lightening to hear him sing;.." Hopkins

With all my dedication, there are here many excellent poets. All Iíve ever wanted was to win my third year college poetry contest. These poets surpass my yearning to Ďjust be good enough.í My MFA brought only time to write. Then time disappeared like years of worthless verse.
    Gassho
    st/lah
    Tai Shi

"Nothing is so beautiful as spring--/ When weeds in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush: Thrush eggs look little low heavens, and thrush/ Through the echoing timber does not rise and wring/ The ear it strikes like lightening to hear him sing;.." Hopkins

Lovely poem, Kokuu. Keep em coming.

Hensho

Satlah

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

But now I write with joy
    With chair I sit, not cushion on the chair
    I hope to sit as mountain with belly
    Round filled with air
    I let each breath leave my body!
    With my belly
    I say in my mind
    After I recite in my mind
    Beautiful Robe Verse, just
    Impatience
    Letting go what is in
    One, two, three, four
    Back again
    Out always mindfully
    Giving as my mind
    Does not wander following
    Highway gently out, out
    Out, out, our, out
    Ten times now I recite
    In my mind Serenity Prayer
    Let me be strong enough
    To let my cat run my sitting
    Sitting, seamless my cat decides
    To walk away, Iím focusing
    Or not one two three four...
    Bell rings three times while
    To myself I think about
    Lordís Prayer and was I grateful for my day my Evening Gatha
    Somewhere monks pen
    Beauty to my day.

Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi

Elemental Matter

Ominous is snowy
    Field of frozen day
    Before the light.

Day approaches our
    World where sun
    Bakes sands of seedless
    Time to mend our poetry
    In pools of brown rice.

Will food come to those
    Who wait silently?
    Dawn is nothingness.
    Covid 19 asks again.

Lorries wait before
    Sun where twin planets
    As one star
    Carine in centuries
    For emperors sake,
    Bread of inoculations.

Hope to reconcile
    When we sit
    Zazen quietly,
    Emptiness reigns
    Giving to the poor
    Our purity of time.

In gratitude we write,
    Our only choice,
    Exponential Metta
    Our grand new voice
    Life remains
    Of Master Hongzhi.

Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 12-23-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: revission and spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123