Thread: Sangha Discussion: Diversity Words and other Small Changes in our Chant Books

Sangha Discussion: Diversity Words and other Small Changes in our Chant Books

Dear All,

A few years ago, many Zen Sangha added words to recognize female Ancestors in their Chant Books, and a list of female Ancestors, to complement the traditional list of Zen Ancestors which was exclusively a men's line for historical reasons. Effort was also made to recognize the names of women whose names have been lost to history (e.g., our Chant Book dedicates our Zazen and Chanting to " ... all other Honored Ones throughout history, Male and Female Honored Ones, whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid.") In the traditional societies of the past, women did often struggle to find the place and opportunities for Buddhist practice, and many excellent teachers were denied recognition in our stories.

As well, last year, we added a short recitation of "Differently Abled Ancestors" to recognize ancient Buddhists with physical and mental conditions which made their life in the Buddhist Sangha a struggle. Many folks today still practice with various health conditions, and the ceremony is meant to support their efforts too. The names of the Women Ancestors and Different Abled Ancestors will be recited next week during our Rohatsu Retreat, as well as the list of the traditional male Ancestors, and our Jukai Recipients in January will receive Lineage papers including all those individuals.

However, it has recently become a particular topic in society that there are also individuals today, and certainly throughout history, who may have identities that transcend the usual lines of male and female. It was suggested by a few people that "he" and "she" may not include everyone now. For that reason, we are going to experiment in our new Chant Book for our upcoming Rohatsu Retreat with some more inclusive words here and there. We would like your impressions and suggestions, as well as any ideas for better wording too. We will either keep the changes or adjust them more.

Changes include the following:

-Metta Chant- In our Chant to offer Metta to loved ones, friends, strangers and difficult people, there will be an option for "they" (both for groups of people, and for single individuals who leap through "he" or "she"), e.g.: "May he(she/they) be healthy and at ease in all (his/her/their) ills."

-Fukanzazengi- In our recitation of Master Dogen's Fukanzazengi during Rohatsu Retreat, one reference to "him" for the Buddha is changed to recognize the Buddha as a transcendent figure who includes all categories and identities:

Consider the Buddha: although he was wise at birth, the traces of his six years of upright sitting can yet be seen.

to

Consider the Buddha: although wise at birth, the traces of the six years of upright sitting can yet be seen.
    -Our Dedications- The Dedication of our Chanting and Zazen will now read (instead of "male and female Honored Ones"): " to all other Honored Ones throughout history, same yet diverse Honored Ones, whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid ... "

Let me also announce one other change to our Chant Book for both our Rohatsu Retreat and all future Zazen Activities during the week here at Treeleaf. This is unrelated to the above. Our "Verse of Atonement" spoke of our harmful "words, thoughts and acts." This will now be as follows, so please pencil the change in if you have a Chant Book which you printed out to use at home:

All harmful acts, words and thoughts, ever committed by me since of old,
    On account of beginningless greed, anger and ignorance,
    Born of my body, mouth and mind,
    Now I atone for them all

The reason was simply to harmonize with the reference to "body, mouth and mind."

Please let us know any comments or suggestions.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-01-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

It all sounds good to me.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

How wonderful!

Gassho
    Sen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Looks good to me

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the attempts as inclusiveness.

I caught the change to the Verse of Atonement last week when Jakuden recited it. I don’t think it flows as well as what we were using but it makes sense to align with the “body, mouth, and mind”. I’ll retrain my brain.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you.

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Diversity, like the ever present wind- Enlightenment- is just a given; humans are diverse; our ability to survive relies on diversity; it’s just our default state in the universe. But I think it’s good to explicitly address it; it seems like something we often forget.

Most importantly, and finally—-> “acts, words and thoughts”!!!! Finally there is balance in the force again lol

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    it makes sense to align with the “body, mouth, and mind”. I’ll retrain my brain.
    I figure it will take me no longer than six months max to align to this version...

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I figure it will take me no longer than six months max to align to this version...

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    I fear it will take me longer than that, if ever!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you for being here Treeleaf
    Gassho
    Anna
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Treeleaf is groundbreaking in so many ways -

Encouraging to see this new initiative in Australia - https://www.facebook.com/rainbodhi/

'Rainbodhi is a community for LGBTQIA+ Buddhists and their friends.'

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

perhaps a silly question, but i am confused -- i was going to print the Rohatsu Retreat book today or tomorrow as I prepare.

should i wait until later in the week, for final changes? or it is complete as is?

i have a major class project coinciding with Rohatsu, so i am trying to balance and schedule extra tasks and family this week.

gassho
    kim
    st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    perhaps a silly question, but i am confused -- i was going to print the Rohatsu Retreat book today or tomorrow as I prepare.

should i wait until later in the week, for final changes? or it is complete as is?

i have a major class project coinciding with Rohatsu, so i am trying to balance and schedule extra tasks and family this week.

gassho
    kim
    st lh
    Hi Kim,

No need to wait, it is ready. Any changes would be so small that they can be penciled in too.

In fact, if anyone already has an old Chant Book from prior years, no need to print it out again. The new changes are very small, and a few pencil changes will cover them all I think.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Treeleaf is groundbreaking in so many ways -

Encouraging to see this new initiative in Australia - https://www.facebook.com/rainbodhi/

'Rainbodhi is a community for LGBTQIA+ Buddhists and their friends.'

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    Sydney is fortunate to have a very large and inclusive Queer community. In Queensland where I live transgender women for example are aggressively/violently unwelcome by groups such as Dykes On Bikes where in other states transwomen are more than welcome. The Queer community up here is dominated by very conservative Gay men who are too often misogynist arses. I'm well known for speaking up in the past and taking action against this trend but am taking leave to concentrate on my Buddhist practice but yes, this is a great initiative.
    Gassho
    Anna
    stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.