Thread: ATTENTION! Our 2019 "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT - PREPARATORY LESSONS

ATTENTION! Our 2019 "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT - PREPARATORY LESSONS

Dear All,

a re-MINDer that our ...

Treeleaf Annual
    'ALWAYS AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU

(Buddha's Enlightenment Day)
    RETREAT

... is to be LIVE NETCAST on the weekend of Saturday & Sunday, December 7th and 8th, 2019. The retreat is designed to be sat in any time zone around the world through a combination of 'live-live' and 'live though recorded' segments, and one may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version (no different from the original!). Please have a look at the schedule on the "official" page (although the page will remain locked until near the Retreat start time) ...

We hope that all of our Ango-ers and others will find a way to sit with us. Through a combination of live and "any time" recorded segments, the retreat is designed to be sat any where, in any time zone, even days or weeks later, when you can arrange your schedule. The method is that you can do some of the portions "live" in your time zone, others in recorded form, and thus it fits everyone's time zone even if slightly out of order (no need to stay up all night to stay on "Japan Time"). In other words, sometimes we do some sections in Japan or other countries while you are asleep, but then you can do them later (while we are asleep), and some sections we are all awake to do "live" ... and it all gets done in the end. Everyone has to do their own math to figure out which portions they can do live, which they will do as a recording (and in what order).

The two days will include Zazen sitting, Kinhin, Chanting, Zazen sitting, Oryoki, Zazen sitting, Bowing, Talks, Zazen Sitting, 'Samu' Work Practice, and More Zazen Sitting, as in any Soto Zen Retreat, all in celebration of the Buddha's days of Zazen and Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree. We also mark the Endless-End of our 90 Day Ango with this Retreat.

If you are concerned about the length of sitting, please take to heart that such retreats ... of 2 or 3 days, a week or two weeks ... are basic and highly recommended in the Zen world, undertaken by just about every Zen Sangha I know. It is a practice not to be missed if at all possible for you.

Information on the meaning of Rohatsu Retreat, and easy to follow instructions on arranging a quiet space in your home for sitting, are found at the following link. Also included are instructions on combining the Retreat with parenting and other responsibilities one may have. For further information on these and other topics, I ask all who are participating to DOWNLOAD AND REVIEW THIS GUIDE TO SITTING OUR ONLINE RETREAT LINK HERE (PDF)

The accompanying CHANT BOOK IS HERE (PDF)

RETREAT PREPARATION LESSON I -

Below in this thread, we will provide various short lessons and tips to help you participate. Please review them between now and the days of the Retreat.

First, the following video will explain a bit about how to make and dance with a simple, home Oryoki kit. All you need is:

1 - Clean Pillow Case
    2 - Bowls and 1 Tea Cup (that fit into each other)
    1 - Cloth Napkin
    1 - Small Wiping Cloth
    1 - Table Spoon
    1 - Tea Spoon or Chop Sticks
    1 - Small Cut Piece of a New Sponge
    1 - Letter Envelope
    1 - A small dish on the side for the "Hungry Ghosts"

Let's Get Ready to Rohatsu!

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

RETREAT PREPARATION LESSON II -

Let's look at Work Practice, Samu … which will be featured various periods during our Rohatsu Retreat.

While Zazen is at the heart of our Way, other aspects of traditional Zen Practice are also "Zazen Off The Cushion" ... the vital and energetic non-doing of ‘Samu‘ traditional work practice is so.

Samu is well described in this excerpt …

Samu is manual work done with the same concentration as zazen. All masters of transmission, especially Master Hyakujo (720-814), have insisted on this. Even in his old age, Master Hyakujo worked every day in the field with his students. One day, they hid his tools, thinking that their master should spare himself. Hyakujo declared: "A day without working, a day without eating." And he stopped eating until his disciples gave him back his tools. 

In zen, work has great value, because it allows us to practise the Way in action. In the dojo and during retreats (sesshins), zazen is followed by samu, which is when we do the chores to ensure the smooth functioning of communal life. Samu also means putting our efforts at the service of the community, without expecting anything in return. from Zen, by Bovay, Kaltenbach and De Smedt, Albin Michel Publishing, 1993
    Yes, Samu is just Zazen in action. It may not look like seated meditation, but it is to be done from the same state of mental balance. Couple this with an attitude of goalless, non-striving, ‘just doing’, also a hallmark of Zazen. As well, work is to be performed mindfully, as the only action in and of the whole universe : One engaged in Samu should devote to it all care and attention, never wishing for or thinking of anything else in that moment of action.

The result is a job performed diligently and patiently and with certain goals, but with no thought of anything to achieve (of course, not a contradiction in Zen). It may be a continuing job that just needs to be done without end, but we do it with all care moment by moment by moment for the time we have.

I usually describe Samu in a nutshell as working diligently and carefully at one's task trying to get 'er done all while, simultaneously, dropping all thought of any goal to attain or anywhere to get! (Yes, seems contradictory, like seeing things two ways at once, as one)

For example, we clean the dishes trying to get them clean (because nobody wants filthy dishes!) ... all the while dropping all thought of "clean" vs. "dirty" and anything to achieve, thereby achieving a certain Purity that sweeps in and through both clean and dirty. Thus, we achieve a Clean that cleans up as both clean and dirty!

Those parents and workers with heavy family or employment duties even during Retreat can make that part of that their ‘Samu’, approaching it with the mindset described above. Treat every changed diaper, cooked meal and bedtime story read during the Retreat as 'Samu'. Treat every staple stapled, copy made on the copy machine, customer greeted as 'Samu' if needing to work during part of the 'Retreat'.

In years past, I have gathered fall leaves and cleaned the bathtub (an activity, frankly, I usually do not enjoy!) ... Now, if you can, and the weather permits, it is lovely to do some outdoor work for Samu. Or one can clean (beyond "clean vs. dirty") around the house.

However, if someone has physical or other limitations, even small tasks are fine. We have had folks fold socks in bed, but with a sincere and dedicated heart. Here is our Shokai to demonstrate a simple task while seated ...

If someone has a health condition or disability, they can just do what they can and the body allows. No problem. Design your own work project that you feel comfortable with.

All Good Samu, All Good Practice!

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2019 at 05:35 PM.

RETREAT PREPARATION LESSON III -

In preparation for our upcoming Treeleaf Annual 'AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT ... DETAILS ABOVE ...

Going to the toilet is nature, is life, is Practice, is Zazen. All the Buddhas and Ancestors had to pee and poo, and so do you. But how we do our duty makes all the difference!

Master Dogen devoted an entire chapter of Shobogenzo to latrine procedures (two chapters, actually!) ... and during our Retreat we should see going to the toilet as a sacred ritual. First, drop all thought of "clean" and "dirty" ... flush such discriminatory ideas away! However, even as we drop all idea of "clean" and "dirty", we try to stay clean (we are always working on several levels in Zen) ... so, if wearing a Rakusu, remove it and hang it outside the toilet room before entering. Then Gassho 3x (or, if you wish, do full prostrations 3x as monks do in traditional monasteries) toward the door of the toilet room and recite a 'Gatha' such as the following (by Ven. Thich Naht Hanh):

Defiled or immaculate,
    increasing or decreasing--
    these concepts exist only in our mind.
    The reality of interbeing is unsurpassed.

Of course, maintain silence in the bog. No reading material and, while one need not assume the Full Lotus Posture on the commode, one should do one's business with the sense of stillness-in-motion and non-attaining that is Zazen. Go with with Flow!

Truly, peeing is only action in that moment, a perfect act complete unto itself ... it is not you peeing, or even the whole universe peeing in that instant (although it is that too) ... for 'tis Just Peeing. On exiting, bow again 3x to the toilet door and recite a Gatha such as ...

Using the toilet I vow with all beings to eliminate defilement, removing greed, anger and ignorance.

Then be sure to wash your hands (there is something to recite for that as well) ... By the way, a similar ritual should be performed prior to entering the bath or shower. In that case, please recite a Gatha such as ...

Bathing the body,
    may all living beings
    be clean in body and mind,
    pure and shining within and without.

We will have similar recitals of "Gatha" for use when brushing the teeth, washing the face and hands. They are printed in our "Chant Book" HERE (PDF), available for download for use during the Retreat.

For our upcoming Rohatsu Retreat, PLEASE PRINT OUT THE GATHAS IN OUR CHANT BOOK AND POST THEM AROUND YOUR BATHROOM!! IT IS ALL SACRED!

More here ...

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

PS - Here is an image of a traditional Tosu (Eastern Hall Toilet) in a Zen Monastery in Japan. As you can see, it has an Altar too.

The image there is the Buddha Ususama-myoo (seen here at the entrance to another Tosu), also called Katokongoo, who symbolizes the virtue of purification, and is said to transform impurities.

Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2019 at 09:12 AM.

RETREAT PREPARATION LESSON IV -

We have some Bowing and Prostrations during our annual retreat ... especially times of prostrating (Raihai), done in a series or three (Sanpai) ...

Many Westerners don't care for it, because it is not part of our culture generally. We see it as humiliating, embarrassing, somehow "idol worshipping" or undemocratic. I am often asked to whom or what we are bowing ... Is it to some thing, god, place like Mecca, person or effigy?

I answer by saying that there is nothing that's true that is omitted from our bow. We might consider that we're simply bowing to the whole universe, and to ourself and the other people around us … after all, 'All is One'! The hands, palms upwards, are raised in a gesture traditionally symbolic of lifting the Buddha's feet over one's head, but that truly means lifting all things of the universe over one's head. It's appropriate to cultivate an attitude of emptying, letting go, receptivity and gratitude in our bows.

I do not necessarily think anything when bowing ... although I usually feel in my heart that "Great Gratitude" I sometimes mention.

If there is some physical or personal reason not to prostrate, a simple deep standing Gassho can be substituted. For those who must be in bed, a sincere hand gesture or wink can hold all the sincere heart of a full bow if the heart means it so. All that matters is that there is present the sincerity and the humility of the prostration.

No less, are we raising something up or ... seen another way ... is the whole world raising us up at the same time?

The Korean Zen folks are very big with the Prostrations, often recommending at least 108 each day. This site also has some good pictures on "how to" Prostrate.

http://london-zen-centre.weebly.com/...strations.html

It is a powerful physical Practice. These days, I usually practice a deep Gassho during our Zazenkai and such. However, I engage in Prostrations also, during our more formal monthly Zazenkai, Rohatsu Retreat and like times.

Many Tibetans (many Christians pilgrims too) will travel for hundreds of miles, prostrating with each step ...

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

(Usually repeated in groups of 3x)
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2019 at 05:22 PM.

If you would like to watch a brief video of formal Sesshin atmosphere (not much different on ordinary days there in fact) at Eiheiji Monastery, including such customs as Samu Work and Oryoki ...

... in our Treeleaf Retreat we try to bring a taste of such into our own homes and daily life ...

Our way is certainly not as rigorous as the life of these young monks in training. However, do not think that such a place is more and our way is less ... for we can Sit and Work and Eat beyond and right through all measures and distinctions. Our way is not quite the same, but neither is it different in the least. It is my belief that one can encounter the same lessons, the same freedom, the same opening of the mind even in our little Retreat if one knows how to look within and without free of border. Our own life can be a place of good Practice, and a source of Wisdom and Compassion, as much as any monastery. Your life too, right where you sit and work at a job and take care of your family and social responsibilities is Relentless Practice.

As I always tell our priests-in-training here at Treeleaf, the seriousness of the Practice depends on one's own diligence, care, persistence, sincerity and attention to the Practice before one in this moment.

Zazen is not a matter of long or short. One must sit dropping all measure, tasting in one's bones that every single instant of Zazen is all time (and all timeless too)! One must sit throwing the clock away! And yet ... and yet ... (Zen folks often speak out of both sides of their no sided mouth) ... and yet ... sometimes, we need to practice a bit long and hard, morning to night ... sitting and wrestling with 'me, my self and I' ... all to attain 'Nothing More to Attain', and to taste 'Just This'. It is also not a matter of place ... and we should "sit Zazen" too in the hospital bed, death bed, nursery room, grocery line, city bus. Nonetheless, we go to the Retreat sometimes to sit in a room on a Zafu, precisely because it is not a matter of "where" or "place."

Our Retreat may be short by the clock and held from home, but can be a Serious Endeavor nonetheless.

And, no, I will not be hitting anyone with the Keisaku stick.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Gassho2
    Kim
    Rt lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

_()_

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I'm hoping to join live at some point during the weekend. Finally!

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Hi folks,

I won't be able to do the Rohatsu retreat over the weekend. I can't leave my wife with the kids for two days (I'm hoping in a couple of years I will be able to do it live.) But I took Monday and Tuesday off as vacation days so I will have most of the day to my no-self to do parts of the retreat. But once my family comes home around 5:30 pm I will have to do some parenting (kids are a real drag, am I right? ) With that in mind I have a couple of questions from people who have done the retreat with small children. What did you guys do when you couldn't follow the prescribed set of activities?

As of right now I've been thinking about maybe cleaning up the house, cooking meals, doing dishes etc... as samu during that time. Is there anything else that you might suggest?

Thanks!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    sattoday/lah

Similar to hoseki, I need to split the rohatsu into pieces, because my I have to support my wife with our three little kids. Therefore i am going to sit the weekend and the next days and will cook and clean the flat as part of the samu.
    I'm very thankful to jundo, all that guided us through the ango and ofc to the Sangha for this beautiful three months and the possibility to participate at the ango as a lay life householder within this circumstances. i have learned a lot about me and I'm looking forward to participate in the next ango too.

Gassho
    Ben

Stlah

Last edited by Horin; 12-03-2019 at 03:45 PM.

I look forward to participating when I can. Thanks to all for the effort put into this opportunity for all of us.

Doshin
    St

I will be participating in parts of Rohatsu live -- as much as I can.

How much and when, depends on my family's needs (including elderly), but also is "health-dependent" those days, which is true of any day.

otherwise i have set aside both days "in general" (no events other than work) for Rohatsu, and will do my best to participate, even one-way as needed.

gassho
    kim
    rt lh

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hi folks,

I won't be able to do the Rohatsu retreat over the weekend. I can't leave my wife with the kids for two days (I'm hoping in a couple of years I will be able to do it live.) But I took Monday and Tuesday off as vacation days so I will have most of the day to my no-self to do parts of the retreat. But once my family comes home around 5:30 pm I will have to do some parenting (kids are a real drag, am I right? ) With that in mind I have a couple of questions from people who have done the retreat with small children. What did you guys do when you couldn't follow the prescribed set of activities?

As of right now I've been thinking about maybe cleaning up the house, cooking meals, doing dishes etc... as samu during that time. Is there anything else that you might suggest?

Thanks!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    sattoday/lah
    You know, it occurs to me that I have almost never seen women with small children practicing here, and not that many who have teens, either. Men with small children appear a little more often. Either way though, we all just work around our parenting as best we can. I have been lucky to have a spouse who would allow me to "disappear" for a weekend.

Anyway, that was just something that struck me. But that is why we are here doing what we do, posting videos of Zazenkai and Rohatsu so they are there whenever you can do them. When not doing the retreat, I suggest you focus 100% on your family and household, and don't think about the retreat. When doing the retreat, then just do the retreat :-)

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    sattoday/lah
    I'm going to be in the same boat - I'll be cooking cleaning, child wrangling anyway but maybe I'll try to do that more 'mindfully' then drop in and out of the live recordings when I get a chance.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

As with many others I will be trying to sit live with the retreat as much as possible. However children and household obligations will also need to be looked after!

Thanks to all for your hard work and dedication.

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I will be participating in Zen time. Simply too much going on right now with holidays, travel and work commitments. But I am here is spirit and will complete in January.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    When not doing the retreat, I suggest you focus 100% on your family and household, and don't think about the retreat. When doing the retreat, then just do the retreat :-)

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Hi Jakuden,

I think that's what I will do. I do have another question. Would working on my kesa count as samu? I'm thinking it might not because samu traditionally would be communal work to keep the temple going like laundry and what not. There is plenty to do around my house (such as clean the storage room) sewing doesn't count.

Gassho
    Hoseki
    sattoday/lah

Hi Jakuden,

I think that's what I will do. I do have another question. Would working on my kesa count as samu? I'm thinking it might not because samu traditionally would be communal work to keep the temple going like laundry and what not. There is plenty to do around my house (such as clean the storage room) sewing doesn't count.

Gassho
    Hoseki
    sattoday/lah
    Sewing definitely counts... done in the right spirit... Stitch by stitch... I take refuge in the Buddha... I take refuge in the Dharma... I take refuge in the Sangha.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My new (temp) job is taking a lot out of me but I'm looking forward to my first Rohatsu; I intend to do as much of it as I can over the weekend - maybe even all of it - but if I can't then I will complete it throughout the week. I'm grateful that I can listen to anything I like while I'm at work, so I've been listening to many hours of Dharma talks (among other fun things) so if I end up extending Rohatsu into next week then it will at least be supplemented by some Dharma talks

Gassho
    Sen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Sewing definitely counts... done in the right spirit... Stitch by stitch... I take refuge in the Buddha... I take refuge in the Dharma... I take refuge in the Sangha.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Neat. Thanks!

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be doing it all 'live' following the LA times listed but adapted to my timezone, mainly for reasons of medication times that I can't afford to mess with. My partner has graciously offered to spend the two days in silence allowing me to avoid the expected 43°C+ temperatures and fierce winds we're expecting by participating inside. We live in a single room dodgy dwelling so this gesture is pretty awesome. I was really anxious until today and now I'm excited to participate in my first Rohatsu retreat.
    Gassho and deep bows to all who are participating in all ways they're able.
    Anna
    stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I am also looking forward to this retreat and have taken a room so that I don't disturb the goings-on at my home--mostly my cat who can't stand when I close the door to my studio in order to sit zazen. Two days of zazen will drive him crazy. My husband, I'm not so worried about!

The biggest thing I learned last year was that it's painful to sit for so many hours. I believe it would have been okay to modify my position as the retreat progressed. Did I understand that correctly?

Gassho, Kate

Sat.lah
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

The biggest thing I learned last year was that it's painful to sit for so many hours. I believe it would have been okay to modify my position as the retreat progressed. Did I understand that correctly?

Gassho, Kate

Sat.lah
    That sounds right, Kate.
    Usually we try to endure the pain for as long as our body allows but when it intensifies to a certain level (you feel it!) it's okay to change the position or rise from the cushion and do a short kinhin during the sit or as the retreat goes on.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

May I ask, what is recommended that someone does immediately following Rohatsu on each of the two days? Upon rising from the zafu after completion, does one immediately jump right back into the world of cell phones, tv, family, traffic, grocery shopping, children, computers, etc? Would that be a sensory overload? I don't think I'd be going right to sleep afterwards, so anything suggested? Thanks.

Gassho
    stlah
    James

Hi James. I'm not sure, but indeed I think, the world of family, cellphones, and all this stuff is just what is when we are in our daily life. So we should bring the zazen, the retreat into this busy world affairs. No need to draw a line in my opinion:-)
    But these are my two cents

Gassho
    Ben

Stlah

facing some challenges with changing family schedules - holiday season with increased work schedules changing by the day - and i'm experiencing more health issues for now.

will participate as best i can live, and otherwise for the recorded sessions.

Gassho
    Kim
    Rt. Lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Meian; 12-06-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: updated

Libby; wonderful. Do what you can.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Hi James,
    I can speak only for myself and don't know about an official recommendation.
    I like to take it as a concentrated practice period from start to end. Maybe even more (preparing in advance and taking a walk through nature afterwards).
    Imho there is nothing bad with taking it back into the busy life, but I benefit very much from a longer, more intense period without distractions from time to time.

I will be sitting most of the units life, but due to different time-zones the last ones from day 1, early on day 2.
    Thankfully, the people around understand and are briefed.
    Silence. No talking, no phone, tv, family, shopping, computers (when not Treeleaf).
    Thoughtfully preparing meals and silently eating. Stretching. Reading Dharma-literature. Drinking tea. Playing flute. Taking a walk. Just be.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I really loved participating in the last two Rohatsu, and managed to do them both mostly in real time, playing catch up like Kotei because of the time difference. Unfortunately this year I won't be able to join you - I initially thought I might do a little at a time over the coming week or so, but on reflection I decided that I will set aside another weekend and follow the Rohatsu schedule that way, as I really enjoy the intensity of immersing myself totally in practice. I will however honour this weekend as much as I can, and it may be possible to come to the opening and/or closing ceremony, or at least sit with them in my own time.
    Deep Bows to everyone taking part.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thanks for all the advice. I'll take this with me.

Gassho
    stlah
    James

Christmas is upon us and there are activities for my family both days. My intent is to join you live each morning and evening. In the afternoons I keep all of you in my mind and carry on my Rohatsu with me.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Hello everyone!
    I feel very happy, honoured and excited for what this sańgha is and for this upcoming Rohatsu.
    I am very busy with work and family caring so that I am not so sure how much I will be able to join live...but at least I'll try my best in every situation I will be facing with...in and out the zendo...!
    I will anyway see to it that I can join live the most possible!
    I am actually thinking that I would like, as Meitou, to keep one more or less distantly future weekend free and do it all with the due "presence" on my part...if ever wife and children allow .

Thank you for this all!

Gassho.
    Arya.
    ST&LAH.

Rohatsu

Hello Jundo, priests and Sangha,

I will be sitting live as much as possible this retreat. My time zone is 2 hours behind Jundo so it looks like I'll be getting started at 9:00 p.m. tonight. I'm also a little over whelmed with my December work load, so I plan on taking two full days this month to sit the entire retreat as a whole.

I promise in the course of this weekend weather sitting or not too:

1. Be 100% engaged with what I'm doing
    2. Practice Zazen in multiple ways
    3. Practice Samu
    4. Give Metta

Thank you all so much involved for organizing this.

Gassho,

Brad

SatToday

Chant Book, gathas, schedule, etc. prepared, webcam checked - just a few things in the room left to prepare and then I am ready to go!

A big thank you to all who make this possible and give us the opportunity to practice!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Just to announce that our Rohatsu Retreat Hall main page is ... now open!!

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...2019-MAIN-PAGE

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just to announce that our Rohatsu Retreat Hall main page is ... now open!!

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...2019-MAIN-PAGE

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo,
    So when we get started, for 1-way viewing the screen will pop up live at 9:00am NYC time on the above state main page, like regular Zazenkai does each week, correct? Thanks.

Gassho
    stlah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Jundo,
    So when we get started, for 1-way viewing the screen will pop up live at 9:00am NYC time on the above state main page, like regular Zazenkai does each week, correct? Thanks.

Gassho
    stlah
    James
    That is the plan!

By the way, many thanks to Sekishi who, behind the scenes,will be pushing all the buttons, resolving all technical "non-problems," and keeping things rolling sight unseen for most of the next two days. He is our main "Techno-Ino." It is a big job, and he is why this ship can sail.

Here is a video of Sekishi at work during our last retreat during one of our Dharma Talks ...

Gassho, J

STLah

That is the plan!

By the way, many thanks to Sekishi who, behind the scenes,will be pushing all the buttons, resolving all technical "non-problems," and keeping things rolling sight unseen for most of the next two days. He is our main "Techno-Ino." It is a big job, and he is why this ship can sail.

Here is a video of Sekishi at work during our last retreat during one of our Dharma Talks ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you. And thanks to Sekishi too. Keep those flying monkeys away!!

Gassho
    stlah
    James

and many many thanks to Techno-Wizard Sekishi

kim
    rt lh

I will also like to thank Shoka, the Techno-Wizard's Apprentice, and one of the great organizers of this Ango and Rohatsu Retreat. A little candid shot of Shoka at the helm as we attempted a tricky remote incense lighting ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for the thank-yous.

The past month or so my life has been exceedingly full - medical things, elder-care, parenting, work (nothing special, the stuff of life, just more densely packed than usual!). I’ve been so grateful to have Treeleaf to come home to. To sit and practice with you on weeknight sittings and the Zazenkai, to see the wonderful discussion of the precepts and readings, the photos in the photo thread, our Shusso helping folks wherever needed, etc. Everyone here is a critical part of the whole, expressing the great mystery in a unique and beautiful way.

During the oryoki chants, we acknowledge the “three wheels” of giver, receiver, and gift. I am deeply grateful to have some little way in which I can help the Sangha. Thank you all for the opportunity to give. Thank you all for what you do and who you are. Thank you to all who keep Treeleaf and this crazy/beautiful world turning.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat

Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.