Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 45 and 46

"Simple Living" - Chapters 45 and 46

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 45 - Think Simple - If facing a choice among many attractive options this week, just pick one ... a simple one ... and just be satisfied.

Chapter 46 - Do Not Fear Change - Look in the mirror, and spot some change to your face or body associated with age. Welcome it and feel fine about it.

Gassho, J

StLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-18-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Chapter 45 - Think Simple - If facing a choice among many attractive options this week, just pick one ... a simple one ... and just be satisfied.
    I once read a study that showed strong evidence that humans are much happier with their choices if they had no choice at all.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Here's hoping for many attractive options to choose from!
    I don't have a problem with getting old, in fact I'm delighted both by the licence and wisdom that age has gifted me. The creaky knees thing is a tad irritating but a small price to pay for the 66 years of service that my skeleton has given me.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I choose Rohatsu.

I have a sebaceous cyst on my cheek that is slowly taking over my face. It will go under the surgeon's knife at some point as it's beginning to affect my sleep, but it has been part of "me" for fifteen years, so I've been more or less at peace with it the whole time, though it has been known to alarm others. I will sit with it and offer it metta as its time draws near. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Chapter 45 - I really like this one. In the past I’ve been very guilty of over analyzing many decisions. I’ve heavily researched my choice of items for fear of making the wrong choice. The abundance of choices and the endless number of opinions on the internet can be crippling.

Chapter 46 - There is no point in denying that I am getting older. Hopefully I am doing so with some grace and equanimity.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Traveling to see family this week was a perfect opportunity for both of these practices! Simple choices for lodging—whatever is closest to where we will need to be; meals, whatever is easiest to carry along on the train.

The gray hairs, extra weight and wrinkles are appropriate to my status as great-aunt to the little girl who is the subject of today’s one year birthday party occasion!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The simple choice is an easy one for me - it's the cheapest or free.
    Ageing for me is about increasing pain and resignation that a diagnosis and prediction at 17 years of age seems to be coming to fruition. I'm also following a familial pattern that started with skin cancers in sun exposed areas but have now started appearing areas rarely exposed to the sun. Surgeries to remove them, discovery of a dodgy Heart valve and developing a blood disorder have me approaching 50 with an appreciation for life and feeling blessed for the opportunity to experience it.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

#45 - This is truly an exercise I need in my life, not because there are too many choices, but because I have too many interests in life. I will pay extra attention to this one.
    #46 - Small eye wrinkles hahaha started with one on the side of each eye, now I can count at least 3 on each side when I laugh. I do want to add that I have deep respect for people here who have serious health issues and continue to practice no matter what comes on their path.

Deep bows,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah

#45-I have this issue with books a lot, or creative projects. I'm trying to get better at picking one thing and giving it full attention.

#46-yeah I'm having some middle-aged lady issues. It's an interesting ride and I'm trying to see it as natural and nothing to fear.

Gassho

Nenka

ST