Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 43 and 44

"Simple Living" - Chapters 43 and 44

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 43 - Make A Proper Start - Before starting some big task or project this week, light a stick of incense, offer a bow, as a little ceremony of beginning. If something goes wrong this week, yell loudly "KATZ!" (sounds very much like "CUTS"! ... better than some saltier oaths you might yell! ), vow to do better and start again.

Chapter 44 - Cherish Your Own Self - Sorry, I just refuse to encourage anyone to carry any kind of amulet! So, when facing some moment or task this week in which you need a little extra "luck," put an invisible "empty" amulet in your empty pocket and make you, yourself, your own amulet! I promise you that it will work wonders!

Gassho, J

StLah

PS - For purposes of full disclosure, I must confess that my wife amd mother-in-law insist that my kids have Japanese amulets like the following (it does not matter to them at all if from a temple or Shinto shrine, all equally powerful) tied to their school bags, and there may be one hidden somewhere in my car. I do not know about the spirits, but I know about the wrath of my mother-in-law if I refuse, so at least the amulet keeps her appeased!

A few months ago, Mina totaled her car at an intersection. On the other hand, she walked away without a scratch. The jury is out on what role the amulet played.

Last edited by Jundo; 11-20-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Chapter 44, I do often (rely on myself, take responsibility for myself). I did specifically do this yesterday, just didn't know it had a name.

I also like amulets as well, although my amulet is really a reminder - the yin/yang symbol, it reminds me of balance and moderation. I know it means more than that. But it holds certain meanings for me personally. Not power, but reminders.

Chapter 43 - sounds like fun. I want to do that just to yell "KATZ" - could make some unpleasant tasks more enjoyable.

Gassho
    Kim
    Rt

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

One of my work-study student workers from overseas once gave me a Taiwanese total protection amulet, with a tiny gourd in it, a lovely thing. I hung it on the rear view mirror. The car was then stolen. The police told me it turned up two weeks later by the side of the road; I went to retrieve it. Not a scratch, had only been driven thirty miles. Nothing missing except the amulet. Oh, well.

Will bow and gatha next samu, but really, aren't we already doing something like that for Ango?

gassho
    doyu sat today/LAH
    Visiting unsui: use salt

#43.

#44. I think it is a natural tendency to attach special meaning or power to objects. I certainly have done this a lot in my life. This is one of the reasons why I have purposely not set up an altar with a Buddha and other items. For me it is important to break this tendency and see that everything is special.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post

#44. I think it is a natural tendency to attach special meaning or power to objects. I certainly have done this a lot in my life. This is one of the reasons why I have purposely not set up an altar with a Buddha and other items. For me it is important to break this tendency and see that everything is special.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I recall when I went to Japan in my 20's that I went to a Buddhist temple somewhere and talked with a priest briefly. The family I was staying with bought me one of these talismans which I thought odd at the time. My Japanese wasn't any good; so I had no idea what this was all about. This clears much up! I also recall the talisman went missing. I suspect foul play..

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

43 I do sometimes, especially if it's a task I don't really want to do. Haven't yelled KATZ yet, though.

44 I don't know, man, that Relax Bear amulet is awful cute.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Both are beautiful exercises! Jundo I feel the same about amulets, good-luck charms, and other superstitions. Essentially they are what we make of them.

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday

Oh, I have one of these amulets that an old martial arts teacher of mine brough back from Japan. I'll have to dig it out and post it here to find out what it's for.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah