Thread: No cold. No heat.

No cold. No heat.

A monk asked Tozan “How can we escape the cold and heat?”
    Tozan replied, “Why not go where there is no cold and heat?”
    “Is there such a place?” the monk asked.
    Tozan commented, “When cold, be thoroughly cold; when hot, be hot through and through.”

As temperatures begin a nosedive in the US. Currently 22degress F in NYC. I reflect and feel great pain for those currently without proper shelter. The heating system in my unit has malfunctioned, so we are without heat, yet regardless we are protected from the blistering winds that are terrorizing the city.

Sitting in the cold, cold sitting.
    Sitting with heat, heat sitting.

The place where there is no cold and heat?

Cold sitting Buddha
    Hot sitting Buddha

Sat (cold Buddha)

Seiryu

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Humbly,
    清竜 Seiryu

Lovely, Seiryu!

I have also seen translations of the last line as, "When it is cold, let the cold kill you; when it hot, let the heat kill you." which hits the spot for me.

My own current answer to this koan is the rather less prosaic "When it is cold, turn on the central heating"! When it comes to my pain, however, I often let the pain kill me (or rather my ideas that there should be anything other than 'just this' or that something is wrong with the universe).

Incidentally, at Eiheiji in Dōgen's day, there was a specific day for 'opening the furnace' at the beginning of the tenth month and a discourse was given to mark the occasion. In 1248 he said the following:

"Before spring, peach and plum blossoms open. Patch-robed monks pick them and come to make fire in the furnace. From making considerations in a warm place one becomes sleepy." (Eihei Kōroku 288)

This was actually said in humour, as even with the fireplace, Eiheiji is a cold place, and the chances of monks being lulled to sleep with warmth is extremely unlikely!

However, Dōgen also made this statement to encourage his assembly during the winter months, which has echoes of Tozan's teaching:

"If this greatest cold does not penetrate into our bones, how will the fragrance of the plum blossoms pervade the entire universe?" (Eihei Kōroku 34)

And, yes, at this time of year we should think of those who are without shelter and maybe consider donating to one of the numerous charities who do excellent work on their behalf.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 11-14-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    My own current answer to this koan is the rather less prosaic "When it is cold, turn on the central heating"!
    100% my current answer as well!!!
    Except when we went to turn on our heat, old place, the heat was still on Vacation and wanted some more time off....

SAT

Seiryu

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Humbly,
    清竜 Seiryu

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Lovely, Seiryu!

I have also seen translations of the last line as, "When it is cold, let the cold kill you; when it hot, let the heat kill you." which hits the spot for me.

My own current answer to this koan is the rather less prosaic "When it is cold, turn on the central heating"! When it comes to my pain, however, I often let the pain kill me (or rather my ideas that there should be anything other than 'just this' or that something is wrong with the universe).

Incidentally, at Eiheiji in Dōgen's day, there was a specific day for 'opening the furnace' at the beginning of the tenth month and a discourse was given to mark the occasion. In 1248 he said the following:

"Before spring, peach and plum blossoms open. Patch-robed monks pick them and come to make fire in the furnace. From making considerations in a warm place one becomes sleepy." (Eihei Kōroku 288)

This was actually said in humour, as even with the fireplace, Eiheiji is a cold place, and the chances of monks being lulled to sleep with warmth is extremely unlikely!

However, Dōgen also made this statement to encourage his assembly during the winter months, which has echoes of Tozan's teaching:

"If this greatest cold does not penetrate into our bones, how will the fragrance of the plum blossoms pervade the entire universe?" (Eihei Kōroku 34)

And, yes, at this time of year we should think of those who are without shelter and maybe consider donating to one of the numerous charities who do excellent work on their behalf.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday/lah