Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 41 and 42

"Simple Living" - Chapters 41 and 42

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 41 - Try Attending A Zazen Sitting - Please sit one of our weekly Treeleaf Zazenkai, sitting with others, if usually sitting alone. They are available any time, to suit any busy schedule and time zone ...

WEEKLY TREELEAF ZAZENKAI NETCASTS

Chapter 42 - Plant A Single Flower - Plant a single flower from a single seed. Observe it for a single moment each day.

Gassho, J

StLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#41 will not be a problem as I join the weekly Zazenkai regularly and I sit with my wife daily

#42 plant a flower in mid November in Canada? We have snow on the ground. Inside there is less and less good daylight even by the windows. I’ll try to come up with some creative way to accomplish the spirit of this one.
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you Jundo.

#41. Doing...

#42. This is an excellent practice. Lately, being one of this Ango commitment, I've joined a group of activists to
    plant trees along the sea coastline. Last Sunday I put into soil of those bare slopes my first three seedlings of different kinds.
    It was a wonderful experience. And a joy. I do hope they'll take root..

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

#41 - of course!

#42 - well, for those of us stuck in winter, you could plant something like a simple mustard seed in a plastic container on the windowsill and see what happens. I used to do that as a kid and got sprouts! Other seeds from the spice rack might work as well . . .

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Nenka, I think we are on the same wavelength. After posting earlier about he challenge of planting in winter I thought some more and came up with the idea of growing sprouts to eat. I do this from time to time with mustard, alfalfa, black lentil and broccoli seeds. I just came here to post and I see you had a similar thought.

Sprouts are easy. Put 2 or 3 tablespoons of seeds in a mason jar with a mesh over top and let soak in cool water over night. Drain the next morning and then for the next 6 days rinse and drain the sprouts every morning and evening. You should start seeing the seeds sprout by about the end of the second day.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I do the first one of course, but must make more effort to join in with a live group sitting.
    I think there are a few ways of approaching the second one - for those of us in the winter season, sprouting seeds is an option, another is buying a seasonal plant, like an amaryllis, or hyacinth bulbs (not strictly seeds) or even saving your avocado stones and potting them up, they could later go outside. Another way would be to contribute to a tree planting programme?
    I also thought this could be approached in a non literal way, perhaps along the lines of our nourishing seeds practice. Is there a 'seed' of something I could plant and nurture, perhaps a small commitment to quietly helping others that I hadn't thought of before? Sowing loving kindness practice in areas where it's needed? Lots of possibilities.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

hmmmmm will have to find a little plant to pot.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Ishin View Post
    hmmmmm will have to find a little plant to pot.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    But no pot to plant for this practice please ... even if legal in your state. (You are from Georgia, so especially no)

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    But no pot to plant for this practice please ... even if legal in your state. (You are from Georgia, so especially no)

Gassho, J
    That won't be a problem. I'm high on life.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah

Saturday I sat last week's zazenkai (I download them as my connection is spotty).

The sunflowers I planted have already started to sprout underneath the soil. Now looking at this thread I realize the exercise was to plant one seed, I accidentally planted a whole pot of them.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    Saturday I sat last week's zazenkai (I download them as my connection is spotty).

The sunflowers I planted have already started to sprout underneath the soil. Now looking at this thread I realize the exercise was to plant one seed, I accidentally planted a whole pot of them.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today
    Now I finally realize why Buddha only held up ONE flower!

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah

I planted a sweet potato. Not a seed, but she is growing well.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH