Thread: The importance of Zen breakfast!

The importance of Zen breakfast!

Hello Bodhisattvas!

Nutritionists (and mothers) often tell us how important breakfast is.

Apparently, Master Dōgen thought much the same!

Dropping off body and mind is a good practice. Make a vigorous effort to pierce your nostrils. Karmic consciousness is endless, with nothing fundamental to rely on, including not others, not self, not sentient beings, and not causes or conditions. Although this is so, eating breakfast comes first.

-- Eihei Kōroku (Dōgen's Extensive Record), Dharma Hall Discourse 306
    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Excellent! Thanks for this, Bro, it started my day with a smile. Deep bows.

Now off to pierce my nostrils, I guess.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

I knew I really liked Dogen for some reason.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

If I make an omelette for dinner, as I often do, where does piercing the nostrils come?

Gassho,

Hobun

STLAH

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Well, breakfast is the first meal of the day, yes?

So even if you tend to eat later (what some might call brunch), that might still be considered breakfast, being the first meal.

As for piercing my nose .... hard pass.

Gassho
    Kim
    St

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Oddly enough, I was at the pharmacy a few days ago having my cholesterol tested, in the same room where they do the ear and nose piercing, and I have to admit I was tempted by a nose stud. Luckily I hadn't had breakfast yet so unconsciously channeling Dogen, I passed on the opportunity.
    I'm sure Dogen would approve of my one rice cake breakfast, not entirely sure how he'd feel about the slathering of peanut butter and marmite though
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Typically I've been doing things arse about lol.
    I sit at 5am for 30minutes, read a bit, then have a spicy curry noodle soup with seiten, kale and carrot for breakfast.
    As for piercing, over the years I've probably had most things pierced and nostrils is by far the most painful. Even my septum piercing which was the last of my piercings that I removed a couple of days ago didn't hurt as much as the nostrils.
    But hey, I'm sure Dogen wasn't talking body modification haha.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Anna, you never know; we could write a follow up to The Davinci Code, called The Dogen Code; Tom Hanks, or maybe this is a Nick Cage vehicle, discovers by way of magnifying glass that Dogen does indeed have piercings in his portraits!!!

This was way funnier before I typed it out, but now I’m committed to it hahaha

gassho

Rish
    -st

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Typically I've been doing things arse about lol.
    I sit at 5am for 30minutes, read a bit, then have a spicy curry noodle soup with seiten, kale and carrot for breakfast.
    As for piercing, over the years I've probably had most things pierced and nostrils is by far the most painful. Even my septum piercing which was the last of my piercings that I removed a couple of days ago didn't hurt as much as the nostrils.
    But hey, I'm sure Dogen wasn't talking body modification haha.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

Well that's put that idea to rest then, def no nose piercing for me!
    Thanks Anna!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

As for piercing, over the years I've probably had most things pierced and nostrils is by far the most painful.
    Ah, lightweight anarchists!

As I remember, the nostril piercing was eye-watering but only for ten seconds or so.

We should probably include it as part of Jukai. Or a large tattoo of Jundo's face!

After a good breakfast, of course!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

hahahahaha adding piercing would ensure only those who are serious (or like piercings) would take jukai lol

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    Anna, you never know; we could write a follow up to The Davinci Code, called The Dogen Code; Tom Hanks, or maybe this is a Nick Cage vehicle, discovers by way of magnifying glass that Dogen does indeed have piercings in his portraits!!!

This was way funnier before I typed it out, but now I’m committed to it hahaha

gassho

Rish
    -st
    Risho
    It is funny! For the record I've never pierced my portraits lol
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I have, on and off, wanted to pierce my nose for years. However, I never seem to actually go do it, so I guess it's not something I want very badly.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

What a nose ring is good for in Zen ...

We should probably include it as part of Jukai. Or a large tattoo of Jundo's face!

I almost spit out my coffee. Don't do that.

Quite off topic, but when I went to India a couple of years ago, I was quite impressed with the nose rings worn by many women ...

https://www.boldsky.com/yoga-spiritu...gs-036499.html

It appears on some Buddhist statuary such as images of goddesses, especially in the esoteric lineages heavily influenced by Hinduism.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

At least for the ear-piercings, there is a quite popular ancestor ;-)

bodhidharma.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.