Thread: November 8th-9th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: Remember Daylight Savings!

November 8th-9th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: Remember Daylight Savings!

Reminder: Daylight Savings Has Changed: Confirm Start Times, Below.

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 8 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 11-09-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I have a Dad/Daughter date. Will sit with you all in Zen time this weekend.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

I will be traveling on a college visit with my younger daughter, but I might be able to sit with this in the hotel. Otherwise I’ll sit it later

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Possible I might arrive late or (potential truck trouble) not at all, but intend to sit live two way.

gassho
    doyu sat today/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Look forward to joining you all for this Zazenkai

Gassho,
    Sam
    Sat Today

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Reminder: Daylight Savings Has Changed: Confirm Start Times, Below.
    netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)
    Hi all -- I'm confused (this should not be surprising). Now that daylight savings time is over, isn't 10am Japan time 8pm NY, 5pm Los Angeles?

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #timezoned
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi all -- I'm confused (this should not be surprising). Now that daylight savings time is over, isn't 10am Japan time 8pm NY, 5pm Los Angeles?

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #timezoned
    Sekishi,

I think you are right, I show the following:

Tokyo - Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 10:00:00 am JST UTC+9 hours
    New York - Friday, November 8, 2019 at 8:00:00 pm EST UTC-5 hours
    Los Angeles - Friday, November 8, 2019 at 5:00:00 pm PST UTC-8 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 01:00:00

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...&p2=179&p3=137

Gassho,

Shoka
    st/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #timezoned
    Ooops. Okay, all fixed now.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll be there at 11am Queensland, Australia time, the only state without daylight saving. These time changes are bending my head so I hope I'll be there live, two way.
    I'm not game enough to tell my partner that she didn't have to get up as early to shave my noggin so I'm just going to sit here with my headphones on lol.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

Hi everyone,

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Meeting Room: treeleaf.org/now

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to save and bow to everyone)

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I'm not game enough to tell my partner that she didn't have to get up as early to shave my noggin so I'm just going to sit here with my headphones on lol.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st
    Hilarious.

I am here one way with you all!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. It was timeless! Have a great weekend.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you all for coming together to practice. Hopefully a lovely time was had by all!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone for another timeless Zazenkai It was nice to be able to join “audio only” so that my hotel roommates could watch Sponge Bob

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Very nice to sit with you all this a.m./p.m. late/early ...... it doesn't matter .

Have a great 'time' this weekend with whatever you do!

Gassho,

Brad

SatToday

Thank you, Treeleaf, for Zazenkai today. There is no daylight savings time in Indonesia, so everything was right on schedule as usual here.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Woo, hoo. Got all set for zazenkai and dropped into a full-on kinhin with nine empty rooms staring back at me. At first I thought you had all been raptured and I was left behind!

That was a great sit and talk and I will plan to sit the first part when the handless clock points to Sunday (here). _()_

[Edit Saturday PST] Sat the rest this morning as the light in the windows began, before leaving for a retreat at Bird Haven. Home early because avoiding night driving. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 11-09-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hello!!
    I could Join only late due to compromises at work and then because of problems with internet connection and "zoom"...only to find it was already at the verses of atonement and bodhisattva vows...It's been very timelessly funny, by the way!
    Will sit this tomorrow early in the morning with all tranquility.

Thank you so much to Jundo and everyone around here for making this beautiful sańgha what is indeed: A MOST BEAUTIFUL SANGHA!
    I am new here and I am enjoying it a lot...learning...feeling inspired...accompanied...
    Simply great!
    I would like to ask a question: what if one can enter the zendo only late after it has all already started, say half an hour more or less later...(as was in my case today...)?
    I guess that it is very much proper to enter in proper time (sorry the redundancy)...but, today, I so much wanted to take part from the very beginning, but as I already said, I couldn't for work and connection problems...what then?
    Should I just surrender and wait for the next time, or is it ok, as I actually did, if I enter anyway...?
    I mean, is it proper?

Gassho.
    Ārya.
    ST&LAH.

Thanks all. It'll be awesome seeing everyone reclined next week. Be prepared for your arm to fall asleep instead of your leg haha.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thanks everyone for this sit and next week will surely be interesting!
    Another day another Gassho!
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Stlah
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Jundo. Your talk was right on time.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Sat this morning with you all within the timeless time. ..Beautiful talk by Jundo and Dogen...

Thank you all for all the always-right time forever more!

I'll catch you all soon "lying down"!

Arya.
    Say Today.

Ups...it was Sat Today...

Oh, the "Love Me Tender" oil heater! I had an embarrassingly sentimental moment during last year's retreat (I think) when I heard it go off for the first time in ages and I misted up a little.

Or maybe someone was just cutting onions. Yeah, that was probably it.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat sometime ..............................

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Just sat with you all in the right time.
    Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Just finished this Zazenkai

It’s time to thank the Enos for how special they make these events
    Thank you

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

I sat the first part of the zazenkai and enjoyed the little visitor at around the 27 minute mark. It reminded me that even zen priests are householders and practice in that context.

Gassho,

Neil
    StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for sitting together Now.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hello everyone and thank you for your practice,
    sat this last sunday, but forgot to check back,
    Gassho
    Myoku
    sat

Sat with you all a little later than usual, but I was still there

Gassho
    Sen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Sat the final part. Thank you to everyone who made this possible and to Jundo for the talk, as the Smiths song says, how soon is now?

Gassho
    Neil
    StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Lovely! Thank you all.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thanks everyone, just in time for this week.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island