I disappeared, and came back briefly, then disappeared again, owing to some major and frustrating “personal” occurrences (not including an odd and almost humorous destruction of my computer--just got a new one ^.^ )

Anyway,
I wish to pose a topic that I do not recall if it has been directly addressed before here (I'm sure it has…)

But it is in regards to the sheer diversity of Buddhism, and “religious” paths in general.
I’m someone who has tried countless spiritual traditions. From ISKON to Kabbalah, from chanting with Krishna Das to performing the Dance of the whirling Dervishes on Rumi’s birthday celebration within Sufi orders, and pretty much everything in between (including some more “questionable” traditions led by individuals with “questionable morals”)

For the most part, if someone said they had an insight, or a methodology, I wanted to see for myself.

One can never know what will be the rock that hits the bamboo for oneself.

That being said, one thing a vast majority of the traditions I have looked into have in common, is a kind of superiority feeling. Where even if its not a direct statement such as, “only through chanting Hare Krishna will you find true peace and happiness,” there does seem to be a vibe of
“Yes, other traditions are viable and helpful, but our is a little bit better and/or faster…” (to what depends on the tradition of course. )

Yet, there does seem to be an interesting issue:
If Islam, for example, is correct then anyone not Muslim is in for a very unpleasant surprise at the end of this life.
If Hinduism is correct, then we all have some more lives to go through before finding ourselves in an incarnation that sees Hinduism as correct.

When people speak of all traditions teaching the same thing, or leading to the same end, they seem to be addressing basic moral teachings as encased in the “Golden Rule”
Yet, these traditions provide more than just a moral framework, but actually attempt to give a metaphysical explanation of the world.

And these metaphysical explanation don’t always jive with each other.
The after death world of the Christian, is very different than the after death world of the Jew.

And from a seemingly logical standpoint, someone has to be wrong about something.

Anyway, I rambled a bit….
Just curious to hear some thoughts…..

SAT

Seiryu