Thread: Nov 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Daylight Saving in EU/UK

Nov 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Daylight Saving in EU/UK

Reminder: Daylight Savings has changed in EU/UK (confirm start times below), not yet in North America! (Australia and NZ are a total mystery and nobody knows! )

Today's Talk will reflect on the inspirational poem "DESIDERATA" with some Zenny insights
    (text below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 6 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    LINK TO BE POSTED HERE IN THE COMING DAYS

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 11-01-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

"Desiderata" (Latin: "things desired") is an early 1920s prose poem by the American writer Max Ehrmann. I think some of our members will know it. Zen and Buddhist teachings may offer a few insights here and there ...

Desiderata

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

In late 1971, Les Crane's spoken-word recording of Desiderata peaked at #8 on the Billboard Charts. However, being the nerds that we are here, we honor that Leonard Nimoy recited the poem on his 1968 album Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy.

Noted German actor and presenter Friedrich Schütter also has a version ...

... as does Mexican actor Arturo Benavides ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-01-2019 at 02:02 AM.

I'll be there 2 way, internet dependent. For the record, Queensland, Australia does not do daylight saving so we're still just one hour ahead of Japan time.
    Gassho
    Anna
    stlah

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I'll be there 2 way, internet dependent. For the record, Queensland, Australia does not do daylight saving so we're still just one hour ahead of Japan time.
    Gassho
    Anna
    Oh, this is just too complicated!

Okay, folks in Australia and NZ ... YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!

The choice of whether to use daylight saving time (DST) in Australia is a matter for the individual states and territories. However, during World War I and World War II all states and territories had daylight saving by federal acts under section 51 of the constitution (defence). In 1968 Tasmania became the first state since the war to practise daylight saving. In 1971, New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, and the Australian Capital Territory followed Tasmania by observing daylight saving time. Western Australia and the Northern Territory did not. Queensland abandoned daylight saving time in 1972. Queensland and Western Australia have observed daylight saving over the past 40 years from time to time on trial bases.

New South Wales, the Australian Capital Territory, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia observe DST every year. This has resulted in three time zones becoming five during the daylight-saving period. South Australia time becomes UTC+10:30, called Central Daylight Time (CDT), possibly with "Australia" prefixed (ACDT). The time in the southeastern states becomes UTC+11:00, using "Eastern" in the time zone name, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), respectively Australia Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT).
    Also, you guys go in the wrong direction!

It's almost like your winter is our summer!!!!!

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh, this is just too complicated!

Okay, folks in Australia and NZ ... YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!

Also, you guys go in the wrong direction!

It's almost like your winter is our summer!!!!!

Gassho, J

STLah

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Nov 1st-2nd, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Daylight Saving in EU/UK

I think this poem, Desiderata, given to me on a plaque by my Mom when I was a teen, primed me somehow to find Zen later. I always turned to it for the same reasons I turn to practice now.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

PS Uh oh we may have finally broken Jundo’s brain with Australian time zones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Jakuden; 11-01-2019 at 02:41 AM.

Jakuden,

I feel the same. We had it up in our house as well, and I remember reading it a lot when I just happened to be looking that way.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Meeting Room: treeleaf.org/now

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to save and bow to everyone)

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

If it helps anyone, I found the poem in German and Spanish for our folks sitting here in Tsukuba ...

Geh deinen Weg ohne Eile und Hast und suche den Frieden
    in dir selbst zu finden.

Wenn es dir möglich ist, versuche den anderen zu verstehen.
    Sag ihm die Wahrheit, ruhig und besonnen.
    Höre ihm zu, auch wenn er gleichgültig und unwissend ist,
    denn auch er hat seine Sorgen.
    Egal ob er noch jung und aggressiv, oder ob er schon alt und müde ist.

Wenn du Dich mit all den anderen vergleichst,
    wirst du feststellen, du lebst unter Menschen
    die entweder größer oder kleiner, besser oder schlechter sind als du selbst.

Sei stolz auf deinen Erfolg und denke auch an deine Karriere.
    Aber bleibe bescheiden, denn das Schicksal kann sich jederzeit wenden.
    Sei vorsichtig in deinen Geschäften, denn die Welt ist voller List und Tücke.
    Aber lass dich trotz allem nicht von deinem Weg ablenken.

Viele Leute reden von hohen Idealen und überall wird Heldenmut angepriesen.
    Bleibe du selber und heuchle nicht Mitgefühl.
    Steh der Liebe nicht zynisch gegenüber, denn sie ist das Einzige,
    was wahr und unvergänglich ist.

Sei dankbar über jedes Jahr das du erleben darfst,
    auch wenn mit jedem Tag ein Stück deiner Jugend entschwindet.

Bereite dich auf den Augenblick vor,
    an dem etwas Unvorhergesehenes in dein Leben tritt,
    aber zerstöre dich selbst nicht aus Angst vor der Einsamkeit.
    Sei immer so, dass du vor dir selbst bestehen kannst.

Du hast ein Recht auf der Welt zu sein,
    genau wie die Blume die blüht und wie ein Stern in der Nacht.
    Doch auf dieser Welt lebst du nicht allein,
    hast du schon irgendwann einmal darüber nachgedacht?

Darum schließe Frieden mit Gott,
    wo immer er er dir auch begegnet.
    Ganz gleich, was das Leben dir auch an Schwierigkeiten auferlegt.
    Lass nicht durch Lug und Trug deine Ideale zerbrechen.
    Die Welt ist immer noch schön.
    Versuche, auf ihr zu leben und glücklich zu werden.
    Camina plácido entre el ruido y la prisa y recuerda
    qué paz se puede encontrar en el silencio.
    En cuanto sea posible y sin rendirte,
    mantén buenas relaciones con todas las personas.
    Enuncia tu verdad de una manera serena y clara
    y escucha a los demás, incluso al torpe e ignorante, también ellos tienen su propia historia.

Esquiva a las personas ruidosas y agresivas, ya que son un fastidio para el espíritu.
    Si te comparas con los demás, te volverás vano y amargado,
    pues siempre habrá personas más grandes y más pequeñas que tú.

Disfruta de tus éxitos lo mismo que de tus planes.
    Mantén el interés en tu propia Carrera por humilde que sea,
    ella es un verdadero Tesoro en el fortuito cambiar de los tiempos.
    Sé cauto en tus negocios pues el mundo está lleno de engaños,
    mas no dejes que esto te vuelva ciego para la virtud que existe.
    Hay muchas personas que se esfuerzan por alcanzar nobles ideales.
    La vida está llena de heroísmo.

Sé sincero contigo mismo, en especial no finjas el afecto.
    Y no seas cínico en el amor,
    pues en medio de todas las arideces y desengaños, es perenne como la hierba.

Acata dócilmente el consejo de los años
    abandonando con donaire las cosas de la juventud. Cultiva la firmeza del espíritu,
    para que te proteja en las adversidades repentinas.
    Muchos temores nacen de la fatiga y la soledad. Sobre una sana disciplina, sé benigno contigo mismo.

Tú eres una criatura del universo.
    No menos que las plantas y las estrellas,
    tienes derecho a existir.
    Y sea que te resulte claro o no,
    indudablemente el universo marcha como debiera.

Por eso debes estar en paz con Dios
    cualquiera que sea tu idea de El.
    Y sean cualesquiera tus trabajos y aspiraciones, conserva la paz con tu alma
    en la bulliciosa confusión de la vida.

Aún con toda su falsía, sus dolores y sueños fallidos, el mundo es todavía hermoso.

Sé cauto, ¡esfuérzate por ser feliz!
    I think it can be found in dozens of languages actually.

Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I will have to sit this one in pieces as we have athletics going on.

Looking forward to sitting with you all in Zen time.

Gassho
    Ishin
    ( will sit today)/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Thanks Jundo!

I'll be there with instruments ready!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

It sounds like the power is out at my house so I may have to sit this one whenever it comes back! No fires here, but it’s crazy windy.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Of course, as this was the week of brooms and pumpkins, our Hokey Pokey is ...

... and a little extra treat for good boys and girls ...

Boo Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-01-2019 at 10:14 PM.

With you live one-way!

6 AM here, so I have not sat for long today and I had to get creative to lend a hand, but there is always something one can do.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Had to bail a little early because my spine was screaming. Will participate in the final 40 minutes later.
    Thanks all.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. So good to practice together. The poem and talk were beautiful. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

P.S. Anna, I hope you feel better.
    Last edited by Onkai; 11-02-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Sekishi #sat

Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you for the Zazenkai. The reading and discussion of the poem Desiderata was interesting and refreshing. Going out to enjoy the sun now.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and all. Metta was very powerful stuff.

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and all who sat or will sit. Wonderful talk and Zazen. Have an awesome week.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Just finished the final 30 minutes or so. The Metta Verses somehow had more gravitas when recited slower with pauses. I'm going to incorporate this into my daily practice.
    Again, apologies for bailing early yesterday.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

It was a pleasure to sit with you all this afternoon. The poem and Jundo’s talk were just lovely. I do not recall the 70’s song version at all. I do recall other songs from Nimoy’s album though. My first exposure to Buddhism was definitely through the Kung Fu tv series. I loved that show. With apologies to my mother, Kung Fu and Star Trek shaped my worldview far more than all the Sunday School and Vacation Bible Camps.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you over the weekend.

“Desiderata” is a lovely poem.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone, just sat with you (3h yesterday, last 1h today),

@Jundo, I think there might be a mistake in the scriptures and Buddha actually sat _in_ the Bodhi tree

Be well everyone & Gassho
    Myoku
    Last edited by Myoku; 11-04-2019 at 09:10 AM.

I found Desiderata as a child at a craft show. Didn't know what it was (just learned now), but I liked it better than the religion and environment I was in. It was calm, logical, and easy for me to understand. I often read it and reflected on certain sections of it to make sense of life. If a text can become a friend, it was that for me during some strange times of my life.

Gassho
    Kim
    St

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

This is my first exposure to Desiderata. Not sure how that part of the 70’s escaped me, though I did love Master Cane. Still one of my favorite shows ever.

Finished this Zazenkai just now
    Thanks everyone

Gassho
    Ishin
    sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei just sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I first encountered the Desiderata nearly 20 years ago and fell in love with it. It was a real treat to see it come up in connection with this Zen practice.

Thank you Jundo and everyone

Gassho
    Sen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Thank you all for sitting together.
    Thank you Jundo for a nice talk. I believe that Desiderata, in some way, once was the turning
    point toward the direction I'm currently walking.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Wow its been so many years since I heard the original, which I do not think got a great deal of air time in the UK - could be wrong but its nearly half a century back. Listening to the Spock version now I can clearly see the similarities to a Zen way of approaching life. Thank you Jundo for sharing this with us and for this month's talk.

Thank you all for being here.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

That as a beautiful Zazenkai and an excellent talk.

Thanks a lot for your practice!

Gassho,

大哲

Lovely! Thank you!

Desiderata is really beautiful. I read it a long time ago and had forgotten how good it is.

It is great you read it to your students, Shokai.

Deep bows to you all
    Kokuu

Sekishi's Ma Ingalls reference cracked me up. I sometimes think about a line in the 1980s version of Anne of Green Gables where Anne dramatically asks old Marilla if she'd ever been in "the depths of despair." Marilla turns around sharply and says, "To despair is to turn your back on God." I really don't think of God in the same way Marilla does, but still. Maybe there's a Zen way to put it, to despair is to deny the nature of all things . . . or something.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Finally just finished that zazenkai.
    Thank you so much!

Gassho
    Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk