Thread: Oct. 25-26th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai & 'DENKI KUYO' Memorial Service for Electronics

Oct. 25-26th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai & 'DENKI KUYO' Memorial Service for Electronics

Based on a traditional Japanese Buddhist rite, our Zazenkai this time includes a short ceremony to honor the electronics, computers, peripherals, software, wires, apps and smart phones which have served, extended and connected us. (details below)

Gather your old devices, hardware and software, plug-ins, keyboards and motherboards to be thanked for their aid, not tossed away lightly.

電気供養

Then come join the celebration and 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS ~12 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-26-2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Welcome to our second Treeleaf "Denki Kuyo" (電気供養), Memorial Service for Electronics, and especially communications devices, which have left the digital world, been supplanted, unplugged, replaced and erased, and are otherwise ready to be recycled into future incarnations ...

This ceremony is based on an older tradition in Japan to honor farm implements, kitchen utensils, old toys and the like which have aided and enriched our lives, been extensions of our hands and tools of our sentient minds, such as this "Hari Kuyo" for dulled and broken sewing needles and pins ...

As we are a Zen Sangha connected by electrons and light, silicon and Sutras, we feel that it is important to honor the equipment and platforms that serve as our "temple halls and pavilions," for they have made our community possible. In fact, this is our second such ceremony (the last was 8 years ago), and in that time we have gathered many desk tops and lapstops, flip phones and smart phones, modems, printers, cameras and cables that have passed their time, exceeded their useful lives and warranties. They have brought us together.

Nor are we really the first to hold such a ceremony, inspired by this memorial in Japan for beloved Aibo Robot Pups and other AI pets that have gone to digital doggie heaven ... perhaps to be refurbished and reborn in generations of AI-bowsers to come ...

Our short ceremony will commence right after our usual Heart Sutra, and will include the following dedication and recitation (thank you to Sekishi, our Treeleaf Techno-Ino, for helping me adjust the words of the ancient Shari Raimon chant):

======

Today we gather to mark and commemorate the service and impermanence of the tools of hardware and software which are bridges linking our Sangha and lives, the strands of Indra’s Net and the World Wide Web, 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and more, AI and Ohm, Bodhisattvas of boundless bandwidth, all passing from this sphere of existence as the world of technology constantly changes. They are extensions of the hands, eyes, and minds of sentient beings, and we are grateful for their service.

Dear Machines and Programs …

From the beginning, there is neither birth nor death … nor invention, programming, running or deletion. Yet all is booted up and shut down,
    and all composite things are impermanent, all files emptied, all data someday erased.
    Because of our particular karmic accumulation, like bytes and bits in an ongoing memory, we were able to encounter and employ you for the good of sentient beings, teaching Dharma and nurturing Sangha.
    Now, let us close your covers and send you for recycling, that nothing may be wasted and all shall be reborn. (JUNDO OFFERS INCENSE, THEN CEREMONIOUSLY CLOSES COVERS ON COMPUTERS WHILE THE FOREGOING IS BEING READ)

Let us recite this Denki Shari Raimon: “Homage to the Buddha’s Electronic Relics . . . ” (chant 1x)

Buddha’s electronic relics are digital body and mind.
    Body-mind are the Dharma bytes of original nature,
    Are the stupa and data store of the dharma realm.
    We reverently bow.
    Buddha boots on screens for our sake.
    Buddha downloads us and we upload Buddha.
    Owing to Buddha, we are maintainers of this source repository.
    I run the enlightenment patch, and with Buddha’s code
    All creations are benefited, and run the enlightened process
    Practice the Bodhisattva’s program, the great wisdom of
    data equality. Now I respectfully bow.

(THEN INO RETURNS TO OUR NORMAL DEDICATION with these ADDED WORDS ...

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now:
    In reciting THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA and HOMAGE TO THE BUDDHA'S ELECTRONlC RELICS, we dedicate our sincere efforts to:

======

Please join us, bringing your old devices, hardware and software, plug-ins, keyboards and motherboards to be thanked for their aid, not tossed away lightly. Light incense, offer them a bow with gratitude in heart, and chant with us.

Gassho, J

STLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 10-25-2019 at 04:00 AM.

I think I can actually make it live this week! There is a school in-service day Friday, so I do not have to clean the school Friday evening!

See you at Zazenkai!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Dowhin
    St

I have finally got a reason to use the "ipod" emoji.
    I expect to be there.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Can we have a ritual beheading of laptops too. After all it's their fault I don't know how to use them lol.
    I should be there 2 way if plans work out.
    Gassho
    Anna
    stlah

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Can we have a ritual beheading of laptops too. After all it's their fault I don't know how to use them lol.
    I should be there 2 way if plans work out.
    Gassho
    Anna
    stlah

No, non-violence even toward such objects.. They tried to teach you, but your fingers did not learn.

Gassho, J

STLah

This is timely as I just recently had to upgrade my mobile. I now have 4 older ones that I was preparing to send off to be recycled. This will be a lovely send off.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Undertaking to be present two way, with a very sick or perhaps dead MacBook in its "body bag." _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hi guys,

I'll be there with my instruments ready

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH

Do Buddhas dream with electric bells?
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi guys,

I'll be there with my instruments ready

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH

Do Buddhas dream with electric bells?
    images (1).jpg

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishin View Post

I have finally got a reason to use the "ipod" emoji.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I look forward this this! I will sit with you all tomorrow morning.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

I will sit with you all one-way tonight and send off the electronics with well-wishes. My ex-laptop was actually kept by the shop to be refurbished and presumably re-sold, and although I was a bit annoyed with that at the time, when I think about it this way, I can be glad it is still being useful to somebody!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all,

Here is the Zoom two-way link for the Zazenkai: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to save and bow to everyone)

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. I look forward to sitting with this zazenkai tomorrow.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Sitting one-way today.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, Sekishi and everyone else.
    52 minutes in my internet connection started cutting in and out so I will finish the sitting with you all later.
    The dedication service was excellent. As an admitted technophobe and overall muppet when it comes to all things tech I didn't think I would connect with it as much as I did. Something clicked.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Deep bows, thank you Jundo, Kyonin, Sekishi and everyone. Gratitude for the devices that have made this amazing Sangha a reality.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you all
    Gratitude for all tools.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah

Greetings and thanks from Indonesia.

I am so grateful for the tools and the efforts of people involved in the formation and operation of this international online sangha.

Gassho,
    Mui,
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Gratitude for all that sustains life. Thank you, all.

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I didn't think I would connect with it as much as I did. Something clicked.
    When Jundo gently closed the laptop screens for "the last time", it was a tender, kind, and bittersweet gesture. Hit me right in the feels!

Of course it will not be for "the last time". They will be opened again when recycled. Then their forms will alter. Presto chango. No coming, no going!

Thank you to those who worked hard to create our devices (likely under less than ideal conditions) . And thank you to those that will work hard to break them down and recycle the components (again likely under less than ideal conditions).

Thank you to all the devices seen and unseen (ten thousand routers and switches) that work to carry packets around the world to make this crazy thing happen every week. Thank you to all the techs and engineers working right now to keep it all running.

Thank you to the programmers who were paid to write the commercial software on our computers, and the thousands who simply gave their time in a volunteer effort to develop the "open source" software that runs Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP / etc. on the Treeleaf server (and many servers that keep the Internet going).

Thank you to Jundo, and Kyonin and all who sat this Zazenkai.

And of course, thank YOU. Yup, you.

Sekishi #sat
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-26-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks to Jundo Kyonin and this here fancy thinkin' box I'm typing on.

Gassho
    ST-lah
    James

I will be sitting with you all in the future-now. I am usually having to work on Fridays (Saturdays in Japan) lately.

Much metta to all beings, even the electronic ones.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thanks, a few hours behind, with sosen

_()_

dean
    sattoday

Nice to see everyone. Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and others.

Thanks be to the machines!

Gassho,

Brad

Just finished sitting the rest. Thank you.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Gassho to all sitting this.
    Thanks to all devices that have helped transformed our world for the better.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Satlah
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Thank you to the 2 blackberry phones and one tablet that served me well. May they be recycled in whole or in parts for the benefit of others.

Thank you to the current devices that keep us all connected.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, Sekishi and everyone. It was a lovely service for technology. I'm grateful for and amazed at what computers and cell phones do. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Sat with my old cell phone, my old corded phone (lasted 20 years!), a couple modems, and a digital camera circa 2007. I'll be taking them to either Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity soon--don't know how common it is across the US, but here both places take electronics for recycling.

Gassho

Jen

ST

HereIs a recording of just that portion of today's Service and the accompany Dharma Talk, and you may still join in from home at any time. Subtitles are available by clicking the box at bottom center-right of the screen.

Also, if you are interest in seeing a bit more of that ceremony for the Aibo robo-doggies ...

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

Thank you!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you everyone.

Collected my old hardware and will bring it to the recycling facility tomorrow.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Sat this with you yesterday, thank you everyone, good reminders,
    Gassho
    Myoku
    sat

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    After 38 yrs in IT Operation I've lost count of the upgrades and techno advances, that seemed to increase exponentially in the last decade of work. My phones and tablets have as much if not more storage and processing power than the Burroughs mainframe (B6700 for geeks) I started operating on as a 17 yr old. So I have much to thanks our redundant technology as it kept me game-fully employed for 4 decades. So after all those years of dealing with system failures and crashes, retirement brings little change just on a smaller scale. Phones, tablets and PC dying and needing replacing and so it goes on. But where would we be without them in the modern world. Much metta to all dearly departed kit. Thank you all for respectful recycling.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Sat this via an obsolete iPad that a friend gave me, two phones charging nearby and my beloved Kindle on the altar. Thank you everyone.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

How wonderful to sit with all of you again and to generate gratitude toward the tools that enable us to live our lives a little easier.

Gassho
    Sen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Just finished sitting this.
    Thank you Jundo and everyone.
    Thank you all the tools, gadgets and programms that help sustain our practice

Gassho
    Washin
    sat/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thanks a lot for your practice everyone!
    Thanks a lot dear gadgets of the past!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Thank you Sat with you all today.

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday