This is asked in good faith and only meant for greater understanding on my part.

I've noticed, around the internet at least, a lot of Buddhist are against engaged Buddhism. They claim it is not integral to our practice. I have seen this specifically with some Zen teachers and Zen practitioners. There are statements such as: left-wing ideology has co-opted Zen to include social justice as part of their practice. I would like input from others on this issue. To me, it seems that if you were to take vows to strive to end the suffering of others, why would you dis-engage from the suffering of others? There seems to be a large view a apolitical/nihilistic thinking which is worrying me slightly as it (ironically) seems selfish just to focus on your "no-self". To me, certain issues, such as poverty alleviation, should not be considered "political" as much as helping to reduce suffering of others. I can understand the thought that with better knowledge of no-self one may be more inclined to help others more. But, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Buddhists who were against engaged Buddhist and their reasons and/or why do you support Engaged Buddhism. I tried searching this elsewhere I did not find anything on point. I apologize if it has been asked.

Gassho,
Tyler

SatToday