Thread: Kesa after death

Kesa after death

Very random questions

What typically happens to the Kesa or Rakusu after a person dies? Is there a protocol? Does the person typically wear it when they are buried or cremated? Is it gifted to someone else? Is it somehow disposed of? What if the person is in possession of more than one?

I promise there is nothing behind these questions aside from curiosity

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

The Zenny answer:

Disciple to master:

What happens after death?

Master to disciple:

How should I know? I am not dead yet.

Jundo has the other answer.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

I’d like to know as well. I’m under the impression that one is ordained after death but I wouldn’t quote me in that.

I kind of figured I would be buried/cremated in mine.

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    The Zenny answer:

Disciple to master:

Master to disciple:

hahahaha

Gassho,

Risho
    -stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    The Zenny answer:

Disciple to master:

Master to disciple:

Some much needed laughter today. Thank you, Jishin. I've been wondering how you are, good to see you.

Gassho
    Kim
    St

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hi Tairin

In times past, fabric was often a scarce resource so kesas were passed on after death. This is especially true of kesas belonging to important teachers, some of which now reside in museums around the world after going through numerous generations. MyoHo was recently telling me of one he saw in a museum in The Netherlands.

Handing on the kesa was also part of dharma transmission, as told in The Platform Sutra when Hongren passes it onto Huineng as a symbol of being his dharma heir.

In contemporary times I am not so sure but know that Jundo has a few 'spare' kesas for use in ordination if someone has yet to complete sewing or needs one for another reason. I suspect that being cremated in one's kesa may happen and otherwise it is conveyed back to the teacher and used in similar circumstances.

Most of this, however, is guesswork, and Jundo can undoubtedly present you with a clearer picture.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

When I fall off the perch I'd hope that my Rakusu or Kesa (if I get the opportunity to become a novice monk/nun/priest) would get repurposed in some way.
    Gassho
    Anna

stlah

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I expect I'll be buried in a Catholic cemetery so hell yes, I'll be wearing mine!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hi,

As was mentioned, the standard Zen and other Buddhist Funerals in Japan are a priest ordination ceremony! It is true! In the Soto School in Japan, for example, the Precepts are administered after a symbolic Atonement for past Karma (done, of course, on the deceased's behalf, with the deceased agreement to abide by the Precepts heard only in heart) the head is shaven ... one thought being that one goes as a monk into the next world as a priest so as to meet a better realm or rebirth. No true Kesa is received, or only a very mini symbolic version. If you would like more details, please read from page 264 to 267 here:

https://books.google.co.jp/books?red...nation&f=false

If someone has received a Rakusu or Kesa in Jukai, however, it is perfectly fine and lovely to be buried (cremation, of course, is more typical in Asian countries for Buddhists) wearing the same, or having it placed in the coffin. As well, one can choose to leave it with one's family and loved ones. Either way is fine, according to one's heart.

Gassho, Jundo

STLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE