Thread: October 4th-5th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

October 4th-5th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

THIS WEEK, TO BE HOSTED BY SEKISHI and JAKUDEN

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-05-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hope to be there live.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Planning to sit with you...maybe live this time.

Doshin
    St

Just a word that l am away this week, for taking son Leon for the SAT's (US college admission test ... and he was just playing with Thomas the Tank Engine yesterday it seems! ) ... then off on the overnight sleeper bus from Tsukuba to meet up with Kyonin Sunday in Kyoto. His Session at Antaiji ends tomorrow.

So ... l will sit this one later, on timewarp!

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

To join the Zazenkai two way, here is the Zoom meeting link:
    https://zoom.us/j/4834831244

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link should walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 483 483 1244

Here are a few other notes and tips for using Zoom that we've learned over the past weeks:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- When you first join, you should be automatically muted.

- Each participant can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view) whenever they would like
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"
    -- During the Zazenkai, the Doshi (Jundo) should always be "pinned", so in "speaker view" you'll never see anyone else

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- The free version of Zoom will only allow you to HOST meetings up to 40 minutes long, but you can JOIN meetings of any length (the Zazenkai, etc.) with it.

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to save and bow to everyone)

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

If all goes to plan I'll be there two ways.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat before chat

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Intention to sit two way.

gassho
    doyu sat/LAH today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just a word that l am away this week, for taking son Leon for the SAT's (US college admission test ... and he was just playing with Thomas the Tank Engine yesterday it seems! ) ... then off on the overnight sleeper bus from Tsukuba to meet up with Kyonin Sunday in Kyoto. His Session at Antaiji ends tomorrow.

Gassho, J

STLah
    I actually recall those days. Good luck Leon!

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah

Hi all,

We have two hummingbird feeders up for the last straggling migrators. Today a hungry hive of bees found one of the feeders and has been busy carrying off the sugar.

We’ve been watching them all day, amazed by their beauty and the frenzy of their work.

I don’t know exactly what tonight’s talk will be yet, but it will somehow involve these industrious gals.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah #bzzzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will be time shifting but with you all none the less.

That is a bunch of Bees Sekishi.

We think we are down to one last hummingbird. They are amazing birds.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

sitting with you all live one-way

sosen & mundi
    _()_
    stlah

I'll bee joining you live one-way, as usual.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Had to leave a little early but was there for the "Birds and Bee talk" it was a good talk.

Thanks to all

Doshin
    St

Apologies for arriving late Sekishi.
    Your talk was excellent. I was sitting outside near some bamboo and while you were talking I had baby fairy wrens and wagtails flitting around at my feet learning how to get food by their protective parents who successfully keep opportunistic crows and predatory kookaburras at bay. Spring here is pretty special. We have around 200 species of native bees in Australia which is something my partner and I only recently learnt. Pretty amazing little beauties the ones at our place are too. We're planting more flowers, more native trees and letting some of our vegetables go to flower and seed in order to improve the habitat for native bees. To think of how much they contribute over such a small lifespan is humbling and invigorates my daily practice.
    Sorry for leaving early too Sekishi but my spine is not playing nice.

Gassho
    Anna

stlah

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you all. I missed the zazenkai tonight, but will sit with it tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the talk.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you everyone.
    Thank you Sekishi and Jakuden.

Just like bee colonies, where does the Sangha exist?

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah

Thank you Sekishi and Jakuden for an awesome Zazenkai. And Thanks for the bee teaching.
    Have a great week

gassho, shokai
    stla
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Take care of our bee friends and they will take care of us.

"Bees Declared To Be The Most Important Living Being On Earth" https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...g-on-earth.htm What a vivid reminder of the interconnectedness of all things.

Great thoughts in the Dharma talk. Thank you for the Zazenkai today.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    was there for the "Birds and Bees talk"

Thank you Sekishi and everyone, so good to sit with you all tonight. Buzz Buzz!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you Sekishi, Jakuden and everyone. Great talk.

Sitting with dear Sangha at 4am feels like a right start of the weekend
    Bee well

Gassho,
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Metta for your spine, Anna; take best care of yourself. _()_

Thank you, Sekishi and Jakuden and bees and everyone. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today.
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Ishin View Post
    Just like bee colonies, where does the Sangha exist?
    Right where you are!!

Thank you all for coming together to practice. Always a wonderful way to close the week.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

I sat with you all Saturday morning in Mexico City.
    Thank you Sekishi, Jakuden, and all.

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Thank you Sekishi and Jakuden. Thank you Sangha. I sat with all of you this morning.

Safe travels Jundo and Kyonin.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks to Sekishi , Jakuden and the bees. Thanks also to the stink bugs that are swarming to get inside my house again this time of year.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Thank you everyone.

My bees are using the last warm days, collecting the last pollen (ivy) for this year, preparing for winter.
    Hopefully a winter with some longer cold periods and not one, filled with rain and warmth like the last ones.
    They don't overwinter so well when starting/stopping with brooding too often.
    Thank you bees.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thanks,
    Sekishi, Jakuden, nicely done talk and liturgy today. Sorry to see Jundo away, but for good cause, but also good to see that the 'hive' goes on regardless.
    gassho
    sean
    sat.lah

Thank you, Sekishi, Jakuden, and everyone. It was a wonderful talk and zazenkai. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Oh man. The only things that get into our hummingbird feeder are the two raccoons living under our deck. Sometimes we forget to take down their "soda" at night and find the empty, unscrewed feeder on the ground in the morning.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Thank you for everyone for sitting with everyone. Thank you for the wonderful talk, Sekishi!

When you said the core of our practice is the question: "what is this?" I gasped aloud because the question "what is this?" snapped me out of a particularly bad spell of anxiety a couple months ago and allowed me to relax completely in such a way that when I ask the question "what is this?" I immediately loosen my white-knuckle grip on my self-grasping thoughts.

When you talked about how "on some level, everything is sentient" I was reminded of how modern physics is seriously looking into this idea and some (but not all) physicists believe this idea has merit. It's perhaps one of my favorite things learned from the world of science in the last few years.

And your talk of the beehive and how if you take away one part of it, the colony disappears, reminded me of one of my favorite quotes by Thich Nhat Hahn: "Enlightenment is when the wave knows it's the ocean."

Gassho,
    Sen
    SatToday|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah
    What??!!! He isn't allowed to grow up! lol

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Jakuden and Sekishi, wonderful talk.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all so much!

Great talk, Sekishi. Bee here now!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you, Sekishi, Jakuden and everyone, for this great zazenkai.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you everyone, I sat with you all via the timewarp.

And lovely talk, Sekishi.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Thank you everyone for lovely Zazenkai and talk, Sekishi

Gassho, eva
    sattoday and also LAH

Just sat this lovely Zazenkai - thank you Sekishi for the great talk and everyone for your practice!

Gassho,

大哲

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added