Thread: Sticky: Zazen Sitting with Sekishi and Seikan (Mo,Tu,We,Th,Su)

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Sticky: Zazen Sitting with Sekishi and Seikan (Mo,Tu,We,Th,Su)

Hello all,

This thread is for notes / updates about Zazen sittings in Treeleaf NOW Scheduled Sitting Room at:
    9:30pm Eastern, 8:30pm Central, 7:30pm Mountain, 6:30pm Pacific, 5:30pm Alaska.

These are hosted by myself on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday, and Seikan on Tuesday and Wednesday.

For more details (including a timezone-converter / selector) see the calendar on Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/#calendar

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Last edited by Sekishi; 01-18-2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Updated with Seikan.
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Sekishi and Shonin,

Iím back

Good to see you again after my summer of sits outside with skunks, rattlers and most recently mosquitoes. Glad the scheduled sits continue, thanks for that. itís all good and I will adapt to the flow.

Doshin
    St

Okay, I plan to be there with bells on.

gassho
    shonin sat today/lah and appreciates the heck out of this sangha _()_
    Visiting unsui, take w/salt.

Sekishi,

I thank you for hosting these sittings. I attended tonight and am new to the community.
    I hope to attend many more in the near future.

Gassho,
    Brianna Jolie
    Sat Today

Is there anything i need to know about sitting besides the blurb on Treeleaf NOW page about etiquette? Not sure how things are done nowadays.
    Dave
    SAT/LAH

Sorry, Shonin, just now seeing this. It looks like you are doing everything "right."

gassho
    doyu shonin sat/lah today

Beginning tomorrow, January 19 (on my side of the dateline, anyway) I will bow out from hosting the Tuesday and Wednesday 9:30 pm Eastern Time sits, and Seikan has graciously agreed to take up the role. _()_

gassho
    doyu shonin sat and lah today

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    Beginning tomorrow, January 19 (on my side of the dateline, anyway) I will bow out from hosting the Tuesday and Wednesday 9:30 pm Eastern Time sits, and Seikan has graciously agreed to take up the role. _()_
    Thank you so much for your practice and hosting sittings these past years. Boundless gratitude for your presence, your smile, and your fine example to us all!

Starting this week, dear Dōyū Shōnin will be hosting sittings on Zoom with Bird Haven Zendo. As she stated above, the Tuesday and Wednesday night sittings will be hosted by Seikan (whom you knew as RobD until Jukai this weekend).

Deep bows to all,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you, Shonin (Risa) for your hosting, and it is hard to burn the (altar) candle at both ends. Thank you Seikan for keeping the candle burning.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Shonin Risa Bear for bringing your wisdom and wonderful smile to leading our SSR meetings . Metta and best wishes for your new venture.
    Thank you too Seikan! I look forward to you taking up the mantle...you'll be great!

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah

Shonin Risa Bear you will be greatly missed and Thank You for all you've done for us here at Treeleaf. I hope to see you in the forums and hope you'll be able to sit with us at a different time. Thank You Seikan for taking over, I look forward to sitting with you.

Gassho
    John - Heitou
    SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

I'm eternally grateful for the example that Shonin has set with her wise and serene presence, and luckily, she has promised to continue to sit with us as often as possible. (Yay!)

It is my sincere honor and pleasure to help free up some time on her very busy schedule.

Gassho,
    Seikan (RobD)

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

This was my first online sitting here although I joined a few weeks ago. It was truly lovely to be a part of this. I am looking forward to return as many times as I possibly can. Kindly thank you !

Gassho,
    Silviu
    SatToday / LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyhere View Post
    This was my first online sitting here although I joined a few weeks ago. It was truly lovely to be a part of this. I am looking forward to return as many times as I possibly can. Kindly thank you !

Gassho,
    Silviu
    SatToday / LAH
    You are in the best of company Happy sitting!!

SatToday
    Bion
    美音

-------------------------
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

Quote Originally Posted by tclark7 View Post
    Does the 7:30 Zazen still happen?
    Hi There!

All of the zazen times on the calendar occur as scheduled unless the practice leader posts a note to the relevant thread here on the forum. Not knowing your particular time zone, it's difficult to confirm the specific time/period that you are referring to as there are no 7:30 (am or pm) sitting times when I look at the calendar here in the Eastern Time Zone (the Treeleaf Now calendar automatically adjusts for one's local time zone).

If you are referring to the 9:30pm (Eastern Time) zazen times, then yes, they still happen daily.

Please do consider joining us if that time works for you. You would be most welcome!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sorry, I forgot to specify the time zone.
    The schedule says that there was supposed to be 7:30 (Central Standard Time) Zazen with Shujin but I entered the room and there wasn't anyone there.

ST

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully Shujin will respond here.

Otherwise, if 8:30pm central time works for you, please join us if/when you can.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Hi I can help anyone who needs directions. I know how to get around. Itís not so bad being new.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ...Thought and action/ your life would never experience, (even before you were born), But he also being the Devine Cannot, He etched every moment of your existence, With His own hand... Haifiz

Hi all,

I just wanted to let folks know that we will be sitting for an extra 10 minutes for Ango - so this sit will be 40 minutes total. However, the host will ring a bell (twice) at the 30 minute mark, so if you wish to leave at that point, please feel free.

So the schedule will be:

0:30 - Robe verse, gassho, three bells
    1:00 - Two bells (let folks know that 30 minutes has passed)
    1:10 - One bell, gassho, goodbyes

All that said, folks should also feel free to give a quick gassho and duck out whenever it is needed (you do not have to stay for the full 30 minutes if life demands otherwise).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

P.S. I've updated the calendar too.
    sekishi
    石志

To add a friendly reminder to Sekishi's reminder, if you experience pain beyond what you can sit with with the extra time, please readjust as needed. 10 minutes extra may not seem like a lot, but it's still something your body has to get used to if you aren't used to it (I speak from last year's experience lol)

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi View Post
    if you experience pain beyond what you can sit with with the extra time, please readjust as needed. 10 minutes extra may not seem like a lot, but it's still something your body has to get used to if you aren't used to it
    Absolutely! Thank you Koushi.

Also, please feel free try something different - seiza, a chair, etc.

Also, also, if you have persistent discomfort and are lucky enough to have access to professional help, please avail yourself. Iíve gotten valuable help from physical therapy and ďfitness therapyĒ in the past few years. It has really helped with sitting (and most day to day activity).

Bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    sekishi
    石志