Thread: Zazen Sitting with Sekishi, Seikan, and Jippou (Mo,Tu,We,Th,Su)

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Zazen Sitting with Sekishi, Seikan, and Jippou (Mo,Tu,We,Th,Su)

Hello all,

This thread is for notes / updates about Zazen sittings in Treeleaf NOW Scheduled Sitting Room at:
    9:30pm Eastern, 8:30pm Central, 7:30pm Mountain, 6:30pm Pacific, 5:30pm Alaska.

These are hosted by myself on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday, and Nengyoku on Tuesday and Wednesday.

For more details (including a timezone-converter / selector) see the calendar on Treeleaf NOW: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/#calendar

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Last edited by Sekishi; 01-17-2022 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Name updates.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Friends, it has been a pleasure to sit and practice with you, but I no longer feel comfortable doing so. Please continue to sit together, and if someone could do the timekeeping for Tuesdays that would be great.
    I apologize for any inconvenience this causes all of you. It has been my pleasure to know you. Thank you to Seikan for taking over my other time slots.

Sincerest apologies,
    Nengyoku
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Thank you for your service and aid for so long, Nen. If your heart ever settles to it, pick up again.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Nengyoku for keeping the evening Zazen "fires" burning for so long. I hope to sit with you again when the time is right.

As noted, I'm happy to be of service once again on Wednesday nights and am generally available to host most other nights if needed. However, Tuesdays are currently the one night when I often (but not always) have a conflict. I'll certainly join when I can, but with such a great group of consistent "regulars", I'm sure that we'll have Tuesdays covered.

Deepest bows,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Quote Originally Posted by Nengyoku View Post
    Friends, it has been a pleasure to sit and practice with you, but I no longer feel comfortable doing so. Please continue to sit together, and if someone could do the timekeeping for Tuesdays that would be great.
    I apologize for any inconvenience this causes all of you. It has been my pleasure to know you. Thank you to Seikan for taking over my other time slots.

Sincerest apologies,
    Nengyoku
    It’s been a pleasure to sit with you. I’m not always the most consistent to making it and often end up meditating later, but your presence has been a great boon to the group and you will be missed.
    Gassho, Jippou
    SAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

A few quick points:

1. This thread was getting pretty long and I want folks to be able to jump quickly to the more recent / what's going on now part so I (soft) deleted a ton of old posts.

2. I left Nengyoku's post in though as an acknowledgment of his hosting of this sit for years now. We will miss you brother and hope to see you around from time to time. Thank you and nine bows.

3. We have a plan for all of the days now except Tuesday. It's a no-go for Seikan, and difficult for me some weeks (but fine others). Do any of the regulars want to volunteer to always host Tuesdays? If not, should we just "play it by ear" (someone is pretty much always there), or take it off the schedule (so we never have an issue with a new person joining and finding an empty room)?

Thoughts?

And thank you again Nengyoku, Seikan, and all who sit.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat#lah

P.S. The calendar has been updated to reflect the recent changes too (except Tuesday).

Zazen Sitting with Sekishi, Seikan, and ??? (Mo,Tu,We,Th,Su)

I can always host Tuesdays, but I need technical help to try to figure out how to make the bell get through. I’ve never quite managed it even on musician sound for some reason.
    Also, did we decide to no longer do the robe verse?
    Gassho, Jason
    SAT
    Edit: also waiting for a new camera. It should be here in a couple of days. I got a new computer and my old camera is no longer supported apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jippou View Post
    I can always host Tuesdays, but I need technical help to try to figure out how to make the bell get through. I’ve never quite managed it even on musician sound for some reason.
    Also, did we decide to no longer do the robe verse?
    Gassho, Jason
    SAT
    Edit: also waiting for a new camera. It should be here in a couple of days. I got a new computer and my old camera is no longer supported apparently.

Thank you!

I’m happy to help / test the bell setup. PM me and we can set up a time.

As far as the camera, take your time BUT BE READY BY TUESDAY!!!!

Kidding. I think I can host next Tuesday if things are still not working in the camera department.

Thank you!!!

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat#lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jippou, that's wonderful if you can take Tuesdays! I would, but I typically have a family conflict most weeks. That said, if you're ever in need of a substitute, please don't hesitate to ask as it just may be a week that I'm free.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Quote Originally Posted by Seikan View Post
    Jippou, that's wonderful if you can take Tuesdays! I would, but I typically have a family conflict most weeks. That said, if you're ever in need of a substitute, please don't hesitate to ask as it just may be a week that I'm free.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    Thank you Seikan

Gassho, Jason
    SAT

Dear all, I will be unable to lead the sit tonight. With the upcoming holiday on Thursday I am just too busy to fit it in. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Gassho, Jason, SAT

Hi all,

Jundo has given the OK to chant the robe verse together prior to sitting again.

We've had a quick "show of hands" a on this question a few nights now and it seems like most folks are in favor of doing this. Unless anyone feels otherwise (and if you do, please do PM me!), I would like to return to our old way of doing this (join without the rakusu / kesa, and then we chant and put it on together) on Sunday.

However, if anyone feels we should not do this (for whatever reason - it excludes folks who have not completed Jukai, some folks chant the verse in the morning, etc.), again, PLEASE do feel free to reach out and let me know!

Gassho,
    Sekishi

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi all,

We've had a quick "show of hands" a on this question a few nights now and it seems like most folks are in favor of doing this. Unless anyone feels otherwise (and if you do, please do PM me!), I would like to return to our old way of doing this (join without the rakusu / kesa, and then we chant and put it on together) on Sunday.

However, if anyone feels we should not do this (for whatever reason - it excludes folks who have not completed Jukai, some folks chant the verse in the morning, etc.), again, PLEASE do feel free to reach out and let me know!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    This is exciting! I have missed the chanting. Sadly with my daughter’s schedule I am often having to pick her up from roller derby practice during meditating on Wednesday and Thursday right now.
    Gassho, Jason
    SAT

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi all,

Gassho,
    Sekishi

This is great news! As always, I'm happy to follow either approach, but given a choice, I do like to chant with others when possible. I find that it is a great way to come together and "sync up" before we sit.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Hi Everyone,

I'll be traveling for work all this week, so I will not be able to lead Zazen on Wednesday night as usual. I'm hoping someone will be available to step in and handle the bells and the robe verse (if willing).

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Just bumping this as a reminder that I won't be able to lead practice tonight at 9:30EST. Sorry for any inconvenience...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Just bumping this as a reminder that I won't be able to lead practice tonight at 9:30EST. Sorry for any inconvenience...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Need help finding someone to take over or is it covered?

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

All was good. Viveka led us. Thank you Viveka

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 01-25-2024 at 11:27 AM.
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    All was good. Viveka led us. Thank you Viveka

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Ah! I probably saw it too late! Time zones

Gassho
    Sat and lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Hello Friends,

Unfortunately, my weekday schedule has suddenly shifted and my ability to sit with y'all at 9:30pm will be sporadic, at best. As such, for at least the next few months, I will not be able to host the Wednesday night zazen period at 9:30pm EST/EDT. If someone else is willing and able to take the Wednesday night slot, I would be eternally grateful.

That said, my schedule makes it easier to continue sitting with the 7:05am group (hosted by Shokai), but I will miss all of our "weeknight regulars". I will certainly join you when I can.

Deepest bows,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Hello Friends,

Unfortunately, my weekday schedule has suddenly shifted and my ability to sit with y'all at 9:30pm will be sporadic, at best. As such, for at least the next few months, I will not be able to host the Wednesday night zazen period at 9:30pm EST/EDT. If someone else is willing and able to take the Wednesday night slot, I would be eternally grateful.

That said, my schedule makes it easier to continue sitting with the 7:05am group (hosted by Shokai), but I will miss all of our "weeknight regulars". I will certainly join you when I can.

Deepest bows,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that. I’d do it if I was able, but I have to pick up my daughter from practice at 8:30 on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Hopefully another one of the regulars can jump in.

Gassho, Jason
    SAT

Hello Friends,

Deepest bows,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    I expect to be there as usual, and can do it unless/until someone else wants to.

Viveka (विवेक)

Quote Originally Posted by Viveka View Post
    I expect to be there as usual, and can do it unless/until someone else wants to.

Thank you Viveka

Doshin
    Stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Viveka View Post

Thank you Viveka. I really appreciate that!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Thank you Seikan for hosting.
    Thank you Viveka for hosting.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

Thank you Viveka. I really appreciate that!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    We'll miss you (again). Looking forward to your return. Don't work too hard!

Viveka (विवेक)

Hi friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I come here to post this. After sitting with this group for 11 years now, I am going to step away as host after this week.

I cannot express just how much it has meant to have a home and lovely group of friends to sit with on weeknights.

I hope the group can continue, but I also hope nobody feels compelled to take it over. I'm happy to schedule a meeting if any of the regulars (or Unsui) would like to get together to talk about hosts, alternative scheduling, etc.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

Thank you for your service Sekishi. Although I’ve only been sitting with the group for the past 6 months I’ve come to really appreciate the time together. Always nice to see your smiling face and hear your deep chanting voice.

I am keen to continue with the 9:30 sitting time if others want to continue. I am not sure if I can commit to hosting. Let’s see if others want to.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

I will very much miss your calm, cheerful presence. More than once I have come to sit, stressed over something or other, and your friendly greeting always makes me smile and drop my foolish preoccupations at once. I like the 9:30 sitting time as well, and can cover as needed for now if that's useful. With so many regulars, perhaps something can be worked out.

Gassho,
    Viveka
    st/lah
    Viveka (विवेक)

I would very much like to continue this time as well even though I don’t get to participate as much as I’d like to.
    Gassho, Jason
    SAT

Quote Originally Posted by Jippou View Post
    I would very much like to continue this time as well even though I don’t get to participate as much as I’d like to.
    Gassho, Jason
    SAT

Thank you for all your sitting and facilitating here, Sek, despite your busy life demands. You did great.

Might I now suggest that one or more of the other "regulars" now keep the boat floating along?

Lovely.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello all.

I can commit to hosting for two of the Sekishi days.
    Metta Mondays and Thursdays.

This sit time is the back bone of my practice and I would be more than happy to give back.

Gassho
    Onsho

Quote Originally Posted by Onsho View Post
    Hello all.

I can commit to hosting for two of the Sekishi days.
    Metta Mondays and Thursdays.

This sit time is the back bone of my practice and I would be more than happy to give back.

Gassho
    Onsho
    That sounds good to me. I can continue with Wednesday (and can take on Sunday) if no one else wants to do it. Also, if anyone can't make it, please feel free to let me know -- since I am there anyway (so far), I am happy to cover.
    Viveka (विवेक)

Thank you Onsho and Viveka for keeping our sitting time alive!

Gassho, Jason
    SAT

Thank you Onsho and Viveka!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thank you Jippou for hosting, and thank you everyone for being there.

Gassho,
    Viveka
    st/lah
    Viveka (विवेक)

Thank you Viveka and Onsho for picking up hosting duties with the evening sit. I hope to join you when I can from time to time (and when my schedule allows). In the meantime, I hope to possibly sit with some of you at the morning 7:05 EST zazen session as that's become my new "regular" sit due to my crazy schedule...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-