Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: KYONIN (and Jundo's) TRAVEL DIARY in JAPAN

Two photos of Kyonin as I sent him back to his home world today ...

delete kyonin astronaut 1.jpgdelete kyonin astronaut 2.jpg

(Actually, those were taken a few weeks ago, when we visited the headquarters of the Japanese Space Agency, which is also headquarted here in Tsukuba).

Kyonin should now be getting ready to board his plane, which departs in about an hour. I hope he got his curry rice!

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Two photos of Kyonin as I sent him back to his home world today ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/atta...8&d=1571113694
    Kyonin should now be getting ready to board his plane, which departs in about an hour.
    Ad Astra, Kyonin!

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you for taking us along on this journey. Homeward bound now Kyonin, flying through the endlessly spacious sky.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you for sharing this trip and i'm glad you made it in one piece!

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Wonderful!

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I have just received word that Kyonin has made it safely home. He will post greetings tomorrow, as he is exhausted!

The Japanese people send him this final message: Kyonin, Regrese pronto a Japón! ... come back soon! (My wife took this from the monitor when she was volunteering at the Opening Ceremony of the Japan National Olympics three weeks ago ... about 200 Japanese folks dancing traditional Mexican folk songs)

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-16-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Glad he’s home safely.
    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I have just received word that Kyonin has made it safely home. He will post greetings tomorrow, as he is exhausted!

The Japanese people send him this final message: Kyonin, Regrese pronto a Japón! ... come back soon! ....

Gassho, J

STLah
    Which one's Dani?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Very glad to hear he's home soon. What a trip!

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Gassho

Stlah
    Ben

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I'm back home. I got here yesterday, but I was very tired due to lack of sleep on the flight back. But I am now back at my desk and taking it really easy for the following days.

So my last few hours in Tsukuba were a little hectic because I needed to pack everything up, have breakfast, do the farewell zazenkai and go to the station to hop onto the bus bound for the airport. I wasn't really aware of what it all meant until I saw Jundo bowing good bye to me:

IMG_20191015_101645.jpg

With this it finally hit me. The adventure was about to end! Tons of emotions got to me because being with Jundo and his family felt so natural and right that saying goodbye was not even a possibility in my mind.

On the way to the airport I felt really sad... maybe a couple of tears showed up.

I got in good time to the airport, I check in my luggage and went to get my last Japanese lunch. Since I love curry and ton katsu, I found a place where they have both in the same plate. It was a huge lunch, but worth it:

IMG_20191015_123934.jpg

Now I need time to process everything I saw and learned while at the same time trying to adapt back to regular life and slowly get back to work. I want to take a break from everything and then go back to this thread and all the photos I took to put all the memories in order.

Thank you all for your support and your love.

Also I want to thank Jundo's family for their patience and for making me feel at home.

Finally, thank you Jundo. For all the time I took from your life to teach me and to designing all the trip. I know this trip is changing a lot of things in my life already.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us, Kyonin! I'm glad to hear you made it back home safely

Gassho,

Sen
    SatToday|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

I'm so happy for you Kyonin, in a way it's as if you did this trip for all of us, it felt so real to me.
    Thank you both and Jundo's family and wow that lunch looks so good!
    Now rest up a little bit, there must be so much to process.

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

This was so wonderful, I agree Meitou it's like it was all of us together going to Japan! It's been enthralling from start to finish. Deep bows.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

I am glad to hear you are safely home Kyonin! It was so wonderful to follow along with you here.

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

Kyonin, I'm glad to hear you're back home safely.
    Looking forward to more of your stories and pics about
    this wonderful trip

Gassho
    Washin
    SAT
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching

Dear Kyōnin
    I hope you are safe after the troubles in Mexico City this week.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    LAH / not ST yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisoku View Post
    Dear Kyōnin
    I hope you are safe after the troubles in Mexico City this week.
    Hi Heisoku,

I am too far from the hot areas in Mexico this week. I live in the city of Guadalajara, near the Pacific. We have some violence here, but not as harsh as in up north or in the capital city.

So all is good around here.

Still I am chanting our Metta verses for all victims of violence.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hello guys,

This trip was a sensory overload in every sense of the word, but in a good way. I knew that I'd be seeing a lot and learning a lot, so I decided to take a lot of pictures so I can later review them all.

I selected some of the best pictures and little videos and put them in an album. I still have to organize it, but If you want to take a look, go a head

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CpDduexhy7kB7y2t6

I will still be posting on this thread in the following days.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Beautiful impressions, kyonin! Thank you for taking us on that trip.

Gassho
    Ben

Stlah

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm back home. I got here yesterday, but I was very tired due to lack of sleep on the flight back. But I am now back at my desk and taking it really easy for the following days.

So my last few hours in Tsukuba were a little hectic because I needed to pack everything up, have breakfast, do the farewell zazenkai and go to the station to hop onto the bus bound for the airport. I wasn't really aware of what it all meant until I saw Jundo bowing good bye to me:

IMG_20191015_101645.jpg

With this it finally hit me. The adventure was about to end! Tons of emotions got to me because being with Jundo and his family felt so natural and right that saying goodbye was not even a possibility in my mind.

On the way to the airport I felt really sad... maybe a couple of tears showed up.

I got in good time to the airport, I check in my luggage and went to get my last Japanese lunch. Since I love curry and ton katsu, I found a place where they have both in the same plate. It was a huge lunch, but worth it:

IMG_20191015_123934.jpg

Now I need time to process everything I saw and learned while at the same time trying to adapt back to regular life and slowly get back to work. I want to take a break from everything and then go back to this thread and all the photos I took to put all the memories in order.

Thank you all for your support and your love.

Also I want to thank Jundo's family for their patience and for making me feel at home.

Finally, thank you Jundo. For all the time I took from your life to teach me and to designing all the trip. I know this trip is changing a lot of things in my life already.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Thank you so much Kyonin for sharing your journey with us. It has been fun and educational taking the virtual trip with you.

As an aside I am a big fan of both tonkatsu and curry - your meal looks delicious. But no BullDog sauce for the Tonkatsu?

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Dear Kyōnin
    That’s a relief that you are far from the troubles but still unsettling for people caught among it. Indeed much metta to all caught in such horror.

On the other hand your whirlwind trip looks really amazing. I am so happy for you!

Gassho
    Heisoku
    Lahst

Heisoku 平 息

Thank you for the wonderful pictures, Kyonin.
    As others said... Thank you for taking us all with you, too.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Japanese Curry

I am surprised I’ve never heard of Japanese Curry before this particular thread and after looking it up online I am even more astonished I’d never encountered it.

Today my wife and I took a crack at making it here using a synthesis of several online recipes. What a wonderful dish! I can definitely see myself asking it again as the weather turns cold.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Hello guys,

This trip was a sensory overload in every sense of the word, but in a good way. I knew that I'd be seeing a lot and learning a lot, so I decided to take a lot of pictures so I can later review them all.

I selected some of the best pictures and little videos and put them in an album. I still have to organize it, but If you want to take a look, go a head

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Lovely.
    Gassho
    Anna.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hello guys,

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Beautiful photos Kyonin, thank you.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Wonderful pictures Kyonin. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Kyonin, I am happy for your safe return to your home. I hope you found all in order there. I never realized how tall you are. This makes me come to respect you more, for being tall can bring problem. We all have problems and my tall friends in the US are often asked if they played US football or basket ball, or other inappropriate remarks. I do respect you for undertaking such a trip of both visiting Jundo and his family, and sight seeing. Good luck as you return to labor. I found that, though I was on disability insurance, as a young man, and into old age, I always worked, though university trained with 4 degrees, I was willing, and wanted to even empty trash, and clean public bathrooms to help out. No work is below the honest man.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

I would also like to again thank all the donors who helped make parts of Kyonin's trip possible, and my ability to accompany him a few places. I am pleased to report that, with your help, we kept within the budget and there were no surprises.

He could not have made the pilgrimage without you.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I loved the pictures! Welcome back home! Although, from my end... you didn't really go anywhere... hmmm

Also... Cyberdyne??? O_O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Those photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing, Kyonin

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    So thankful to you for sharing your experiences and glad you have returned home safe and sound. Some wonderful pictures in that link that you will be able to treasure for eternity.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Kyonin;
    This has got to be by far the best impersonation of Bodhidharma (Daruma) That I have ever seen.

Bodhikyoni.jpg

Are you sure you're not a reincarnation of the Master himself ??

gassho,Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Kyonin! Oh my gosh, yes, spot-on Daruma impression! Which one is you??

Taigu and Jundo smiling together ...

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

I scrolled through this whole thread with my husband. He particularly got a kick out of the "Star Trek" picture of Kyonin and Jundo at that ...uh....pod hotel. He said, "Oh! You're all a bunch of nerds!" I don't know how he didn't figure that out sooner.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Hi guys,

I made a little video about my experience in Antaiji. It's not a dharma talk at all, just me chatting away for a few minutes.

But if you want a better narration about how it is to sit sesshin in Antaji, what better way than to read Uchiyama Roshi explaining in detail. I had that experience and then some because abbot Muho had made some modifications. If you have the book Opening the Hand of Thought, go to Chapter 4.

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id...page&q&f=false

Soon I'll make another video about my experience in Eiheiji and the typhoon!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

That sounds pretty intense... ;-)
    Thank you for your video!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi guys,

I made a little video about my experience in Antaiji. It's not a dharma talk at all, just me chatting away for a few minutes.

But if you want a better narration about how it is to sit sesshin in Antaji, what better way than to read Uchiyama Roshi explaining in detail. I had that experience and then some because abbot Muho had made some modifications. If you have the book Opening the Hand of Thought, go to Chapter 4.

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id...page&q&f=false

Soon I'll make another video about my experience in Eiheiji and the typhoon!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Brilliant stuff Kyonin!
    I have long dreamt of doing a long retreat and always enjoyed reading stories of monks and nuns who live as hermits. Your feedback of doing Sesshin at Antaiji with Muho is very welcome.
    I don't think I'll ever get the chance to do a pilgrimage to Japan but I definitely see some long retreats on my own in the future despite my physical limitations.
    I look forward to watching the Eiheiji video and participating in the upcoming Treeleaf Rohatsu retreat.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st
    Last edited by Onka; 11-10-2019 at 03:03 AM.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thanks Kyōnin
    I know how a flat zafu can really be painful, after mine flattened slowly over a 3 day retreat. It’s now got a cover and is used on a footstool.
    Look forward to hearing about Eiheiji.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Stlah

Heisoku 平 息

Thank you for sharing your experience with us Kyonin.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345