Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KYONIN (and Jundo's) TRAVEL DIARY in JAPAN

KYONIN (and Jundo's) TRAVEL DIARY in JAPAN

Dear All,

I am so pleased that, this Friday morning, I will be welcoming our priest Kyonin Barros, who is travelling to Japan from Guadalajara via Mexico City. It is Kyonin's first time in Japan, he considers it primarily a pilgrimage to visit and honor some of the places cherished in our Zen Tradition, and he owes it all to the many donors who sent funds to him to make it possible. (I thank you all too, and there is more than enough now for his expenses, and no more is needed. He and I are trying to keep the costs of his visit low, and the balance will be donated to a public charity to help those in need.)

Kyonin will be here for about 2 and 1/2 weeks (I wish it was longer), and he will begin his visit in Tsukuba, at our house and Treeleaf Zendo, sitting Zazen and hanging with my family a bit. On this trip, Kyonin will be able to stay for the night at Eiheiji, the monastery of our founder Dogen Zenji, and where Kyonin's Dharma Great-Grandfather (Nishijima Roshi's Teacher), Rempo Niwa Zenji, was Abbot. Other stops will include a week of hard Sesshin at Antaiji, the temple of Homeless Kodo Sawaki Roshi and Uchiyama Roshi, who inspire us (thank you to Abbot Muho Noelke for being so welcoming, as he usually refuses most visitors).

As well, I (Jundo) will join Kyonin for much of the rest of the trip, and we have planned activities including a visit to pay respects to what are said to be ashes and a tooth of the Buddha in our neighboring towns, visits to the Great Buddhas of Nara and Kamakura, not to forget the Really Giant Buddha of Ushiku next to Tsukuba (as well as one more Very Big Buddha at the Sri Lankan Buddhist Vihara temple located a few minutes from Treeleaf in Tsukuba too), a barefoot fire walking ceremony conducted by Buddhist mountain monks, Buddhist hermit caves dug centuries ago deep under the earth, visits to several of the famous Rinzai Zen temples and gardens in Kyoto and Kamakura and more. We may even visit the android Kannon at a Zen temple in Kyoto. My mission is to expose Kyonin to as much of the power and wonder of Japanese Buddhism, and Japanese culture, as I can during his short stay!

There will be other activities and adventures along the way too ... a bit of getting naked in a hot spring, overnight buses, youth hostels (we still count as "youth"), lots of walking, mountains to hike, Taiko drumming, tea drinking, and eating some weird stuff to challenge his gut. I don't go easy on guests to our house. Not to mention that he has to share some tiny rooms with snoring me, and listen to my prattle for days!

And we want to take you all along! (Or as much as possible). The days of Sesshin and retreat will be silent, but for other times, Kyonin (supplemented by me) will post here with stories and photos about the daily goings on!

It all begins with our MONTHLY 4-HOUR ZAZENKAI (this Friday Night in America, Saturday morning other places) led by Kyonin, and featuring a Dharma Talk by him too (I am told that we will be bilingual English-Spanish this time). Please join us for that:

LINK TO OUR MONTHLY (Oct.?) 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI with Rev. KYONIN!

Vaya con Buddha, Kyonin!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - I would also like to make a special mention, and express our thanks, to our friend at Treeleaf, Rev. Kakunen, who has really gone to much trouble these past weeks to arrange some sittings for Kyonin (not always successfully because some doors are hard to open, but he tried so hard, and all worked out in the end!)
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-26-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wonderful news,
    that makes me happy.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Dear all,

It is with a humble heart and full of gratitude to all of you that I write this. My training has come to a point that I feel the need to cross the planet in a pilgrimage to pay my respects to some of the key places in our tradition.

But even more important, I'll go to sit right by our teacher, Jundo Roshi. We will walk around Japan, we will talk and we will just be still and silent. And maybe we will dance some mambo! Stay tuned to see how I destroy dancing forever!

In this thread you'll find record of my pilgrimage, my adventures with Jundo and some pictures, words and maybe a couple of poems.

Treeleaf has always been home for me, but with this travel the phrase "I take refuge in the sangha" gets a deeper meaning. I feel loved, protected and connected to all of you.

With all my heart I want to thank you all who made this travel a reality.

So lets see how this goes. I'll keep you posted.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I am so grateful and happy that Kyonin is able to have this experience, and that we are able to have this experience with him.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Awesome! Wonderful, I'm happy for you, kyonin.

I wish you a great time in Japan

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

This is a great adventure and opportunity to learn and help us learn. Safe travels Kyonin

Gassho
    Doshin
    St

Wonderful! I look forward to seeing pictures and reading stories from the trip.

gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

I am super excited!

Good luck & safe travels!

Nenka

ST

So excited for you Kyonin, it's going to be a wonderful experience. Blessings for your travels.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Kyonin will need a holiday after all this haha. I am looking forward to reading of the adventures though.
    Gassho.
    Anna

Sat today.

Edit: I won't be able to sit two way live this week unfortunately. My partner reminded me that we have plans Saturday. I will try doing the entire Zazenkai on Sunday morning in one sitting.
    Last edited by Onka; 09-24-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Added edit
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I, like many others here, feel such happiness for you Kyonin.
    May it be a wonderful journey.
    Look forward to sitting with you all this weekend.
    Gassho
    Heisoku
    Stlah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Kyotai
    Wonderful. Enjoy the trip!!

Gassho Kyotai
    ST

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I am so excited for you, Kyonin! What a wonderful opportunity! I am looking forward to reading all about your adventures around Japan!

頑張ってこい!

Gassho,
    Sen
    SatToday

Welcome to Japan,hope to have good practice days.

Gassho
    LAH/Sat
    Kakunen

Wonderful. I hope you have a great trip Kyonin. Thank you for bringing us along

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Safe travels!

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Gmabatte Amigo; cu on the internet

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Bon voyage! See you on the other side of the screen, in the actual Treeleaf Zendo!

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Dear Kyonin,

Thank you for your practice, brother. Travel safe and have fun! Really looking forward to seeing you two together again.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

This is amazing and wonderful! I look forward to seeing further news...
    Safe travels and enjoy the trip, Kyonin

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Have a good travel, Kyonin. I’m looking forward for your posts and photos. We are all sitting with you on this journey.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today

I wish you safe travels and can't wait to hear about your experiences! Thank you for bringing us along with you.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday
    lah

This sounds amazing. Have a great trip, Kyonin and I looking forward to joining you virtually.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Awesome!

Kyonin you are a great example to many here!

-Gassho
    Geoff.

SatToday
    LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Felicidades y buen viaje Kyonin.

Gassho,
    Daiyo
    ST/LaH

Enviado desde mi Redmi 5 Plus mediante Tapatalk
    Gassho,Walter

So happy for you, Kyonin! I look forward to following your adventure. /\

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

YAY!!! Kyonin, I am sooo happy for you. This is so exciting, and so happy to be a part of your journey!

And thank you, Jundo and Mr. K -- what a wonderful and special experience you have created for Kyonin and all of Treeleaf

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hi guys,

It's almost time to leave home. Sandy has been a little sad because it's the first time I leave home for these many days and to so far away lands... but she keeps her smile. She's been with me all day long.

The cats, as if they knew something is going on, had been extra playful with me.

And I am silent most of the time, observing how the thoughts come and go, and enjoying every single second at home.

Suitcase is done. Boarding pass and documents are at hand. The Way is calling and I follow.

Time to leave.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Can't wait to follow along on Kyonin and Jundo's excellent adventure!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Eee! So excited for you AND us! Safe travels big brother!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

So Buddhas really can fly.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Deep bows Kyonin, look forward to this weeks Zazenkai and news of your activities and travels.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Safe travels

Gassho
    Souchi

SatToday

UPDATE: Kyonin's flight departed on time, and is on schedule, with (I assume) him in it!

A Koan: If time is a state of mind, and "there is no place to go," why do I have to be at Tokyo Airport at 8am?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2021 at 06:36 AM.

This is so great. Have a good trip. Send lots of pictures. We want pictures!!!

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    UPDATE: Kyonin's flight departed on time, and is on schedule, with (I assume) him in it!

A Koan: If time is a state of mind, and "there is no place to go," which do I have to be at Tokyo Airport at 8am?

Gassho, J

STLah
    That one is easy.
    When you're there, it'll be here and now.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Here and now in the state of Euphoria

Gassho, Shokai
    Stella
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

A Koan: If time is a state of mind, and "there is no place to go," which do I have to be at Tokyo Airport at 8am?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Because no-one is arriving in a foreign country relying on your help, and so no-one is there to greet them at 8AM, lulz

Very interested (and grateful) to be included in this, pilgrimage is a universal need, and returning home means "something" new can be introduced in a new area.

Very happy to see an expansion of Dharma world-wide, and to see humans meeting humans in a way that can be an example to us all.

Gassho
    Geoff.

SatToday
    LaH.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Hello from Japan!

After a long flight, sleep deprivation and a little hunger, I met Jundo at Narita Airport.

We came right home and then he gave me a tour around special and hidden Buddhist places near his home.

Little did I know that it was an evil plan to keep me awake until the night (to fight jeet lag, of course).

Here I share a couple of pictures.

More updates tomorow!

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Following. That Buddha behind you seems a little difficult to hide.
    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat/lah

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to see and read more.

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

Very happy you arrived safely!

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat

How nice seeing you together.
    The expressions in your faces are joyful and peaceful.
    Enjoy your time in Japan, dear Kyonin.

Thanks both for all the teachings and practice.

Gassho,
    Daiyo

ST/LaH

Enviado desde mi Redmi 5 Plus mediante Tapatalk
    Gassho,Walter

It is good to see you two together, Kyonin and Jundo.
    Have a very good time in Japan, Kyonin. And don't forget the photos.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Omigosh what a great picture to wake up to! And the non-adventure begins!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a nice picture! I'm glad you both met. Have a lovely time in Japan!

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Today, the plan was to keep Kyonin awake despite the jet lag. I have suggested that he try to awaken each day at 4am for the coming days, because the Antaiji Sesshin that he will sit next week will begin each morning from 4am, so he will be acclimated for that.

I also wanted to introduce Kyonin to some local Buddhist and other places that represent this part of Japan, old and new. beautiful and a little different. We were joined by Yaxkin, also a Mexican poet like Kyonin, and our regular member during our Treeleaf Zazenkais. You will see him here tomorrow, in fact.

After a Soba noodle lunch fix by my wife Mina at our house, we were off. Our first stop was the remains of a little temple in our neighborhood dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha. In past centuries, the people living in our little village did not have access to modern doctors and hospitals. Sometimes praying to this Buddha was all they had.

Here is a little more about the Medicine Buddha ...

https://traditionalkyoto.com/culture...ealing-buddha/

After that, for a taste of the modern, our stop was KEK (High Energy Accelerator Research Organization) ... our particle collider (located a mere 10 minutes by car from Treeleaf) that has won several Nobel Prizes, mostly related to "symmetry breaking" (why there is more matter in the universe than anti-matter) ...

After that, a drive into the countryside, about 40 minutes from here, to pay our respects to this 400 year old priest at a Tendai school temple, a Sokushinbutsu ( 即身仏), Buddhist priest who has been naturally mummified while sitting Zazen through the centuries. He died in 1686. The story goes that, about 100 years after his death, another priest at the temple had a dream in which this dead priest asked to be released from his tomb in order to continue to save the sentient beings. When they did so, they found him still sitting Zazen, and he has done so all these years. It is said that he was originally sitting with lovely posture but, through the centuries, has begun to lien forward.

That is someone dedicated to Zazen!

Next, a little bit of local history ... The Ishege Miso Soup Incident ... inside a full size recreation of Ishge castle in the town next to ours, Ishige ...

... there is a wax recreation of the scene when the Lord of Ishige, Lord Toyoda, killed a rival Samurai ... not in the "Honorable" way that one thinks of regarding Japanese Samurai ... but by secretly poisoning his dinner guest's Miso soup!! The town seems actually proud of this act of cunning, so has a wax recreation of the scene showing the Samurai lord of Ishige holding his sword gallantly while the other fellow chokes on his soup at the dinner tray! ... The poisoned fellow on the right, realizing the the soup was amiss, has a knowing look in his eyes, reaches for his sword but, alas, the soup does him in ...

... to be continued ...
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-03-2021 at 06:38 AM.

After a Soba noodle lunch fix by my wife Mina at our house, we were off. Our first stop was the remains of a little temple in our neighborhood dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha. In past centuries, the people living in our little village did not have access to modern doctors and hospitals. Sometimes praying to this Buddha was all they had. Here is a little more about the Medicine Buddha ...

https://traditionalkyoto.com/culture...ealing-buddha/

Interesting Bodhisattva vows this Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha, had... especially about not coming back as a woman..

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today/lah

This warms my heart to see that picture of Kyonin and Jundo!
    I'm smiling ear to ear. More photos!
    -Sara
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by sreed View Post
    This warms my heart to see that picture of Kyonin and Jundo!

-Sara
    ST
    Indeed.

Gassho
    Doyu sat today and LAH
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast