Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September 20th-21st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

September 20th-21st Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 4 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-21-2019 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Good morning everyone,
    just curious: when exactly do the full floor prostrations happen ?
    Gassho
    Myoku
    sat

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Good morning everyone,
    just curious: when exactly do the full floor prostrations happen ?
    Gassho
    Myoku
    sat
    Because of our hard floors in Tsukuba, and folks watching from home with various health issues, l have everyone execute Three Standing Bows instead after the rundown of the bell at the start, and again after the dedication. l join people in Standing Bows during our regular Zazenkai, except l do Three Prostrations (just me) during our monthly Zazenkai which honors the tradition. You can do full Prostration if you wish, instead of the Standing Bows.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you all. I will be sitting this one this weekend later. I am taking my son to a rodeo tonight. It is literally his first rodeo.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Hello!

I'll be live two ways.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

My intention is to sit with my Sangha sisters and brothers live two way but my spine is arguing the point with me at the moment after a rather crippling experience in ironing, measuring and cutting material for my Rakusu. Having to do some fast and totally not dodgy unexpected repairs to our ute afterwards didn't help haha. But hey, everyone's got challenges right...
    Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    My intention is to sit with my Sangha sisters and brothers live two way but my spine is arguing the point with me at the moment after a rather crippling experience in ironing, measuring and cutting material for my Rakusu. Having to do some fast and totally not dodgy unexpected repairs to our ute afterwards didn't help haha. But hey, everyone's got challenges right...
    Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat
    Good job getting that fabric measured and cut Anna :-)

Will be there with bells!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

See you all across time and space!

Which for me means this weekend.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I’ll be catching up tomorrow about four hours after the rest of you go live :-)

Thank you in advance, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Libby
    ST

I will make my best attempt to make it live one way but tonight is fall festival for my daughter and I am not sure I will make it back in time. If I do and am able I will be there though.

/\ Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH

Intention to go live today. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hi everyone,

To join the Zazenkai two way, here is the Zoom meeting link:
    https://zoom.us/j/4834831244

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 483 483 1244

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 483 483 1244
    Also, here are a few notes and tips for using Zoom that we've learned over the past weeks:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- When you first join, you *should* be automatically muted (this is how the room is set up, but I'm still not 100% this works as expected -- please let me know if anyone discovers otherwise).

- Each participant can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view) whenever they would like
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"
    -- During the Zazenkai, the Doshi (Jundo) should always be "pinned", so in "speaker view" you'll never see anyone else

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- The free version of Zoom will only allow you to HOST meetings up to 40 minutes long, but you can JOIN meetings of any length (the Zazenkai, etc.) with it.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-21-2019 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added a note.

Hi all

Will sit this one later as have all my kids to look after with my wife still out of town and I don't think they'll let me sit zazen without jumping all over me

Gassho Tokan (sattoday)

I’m not going to be able to make it tonight. Bit of a possible medical emergency and I have to look after the kids. My wife could really use some metta her way tonight.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah

Sitting with you all live oneway

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Joining one-way today but sitting later due to an unavoidable online appointment. Grateful for the flexibility.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Sorry folks but my internet connection disappeared and I couldn't reconnect to Zoom. In other news, it was just when Jundo was talking about sometimes having to tell people goodbye. I hope that this wasn't a sign from the Zen Buddhist Goddesses haha.
    It was lovely to sit (I was lying on my side because my spine didn't feel like propping me up) with everyone this morning. It was also lovely to have a quick chat with Jakuden before we started too.
    Be kind to yourselves and look out for each other.

For anarchy and peace
    Gassho
    Anna
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
    I’m not going to be able to make it tonight. Bit of a possible medical emergency and I have to look after the kids. My wife could really use some metta her way tonight.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah
    Metta to your wife my friend.
    May everything your family is experiencing pass peacefully.
    Gassho
    Anna
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you.

Jundo, several years ago a neighboring Buddhist in Deming where I picked up you and your son did a play about “Mr Agula” and engaged the audience in how judgement should be rendered. Forgiveness? I remember not feeling alot of empathy for him that night so was glad when he passed me by and asked others!

Doshin
    St

Thanks all. Everything changes, tonight plans to go to rodeo
    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today/ lah

Lovely, and thank you for the teaching, Jundo -- very healing tonight.

kim
    st

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah

Metta for your wife and you/family.

gassho
    kim
    st

Thank you, Jundo, Jakuden, and everyone. It was a lovely zazenkai. I appreciated the talk on patience, forgiveness, yet knowing when to say good-bye.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

As it turns out, the appointment will be later, so I got to sit with you live, after all. Thank you, Treeleaf. Special Metta for those who are going through difficulty.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you all for sharing in practice. May we all find patience and forgiveness at easy reach.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Jundo and everyone, yes very timely talk for me on multiple fronts! Sorry about the muting/unmuting gaffe at the end, I had muted because of noise in my house and then forgot. Metta to all.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden and everyone. Good and timely talk

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah
    Metta to you and yours, Kendrick

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah
    Much Metta to your wife, I hope all is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Sorry folks but my internet connection disappeared and I couldn't reconnect to Zoom. In other news, it was just when Jundo was talking about sometimes having to tell people goodbye. I hope that this wasn't a sign from the Zen Buddhist Goddesses haha.
    It was lovely to sit (I was lying on my side because my spine didn't feel like propping me up) with everyone this morning. It was also lovely to have a quick chat with Jakuden before we started too.
    Be kind to yourselves and look out for each other.

For anarchy and peace
    Gassho
    Anna
    So nice to chat with you too Anna, and thank you for being so gracious about being teased a little bit :-D I hope your back feels better.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

It was a pleasure to sit with you all. Thank you, Jundo, for the reminder to be patient with others as we are always changing, changing

Gassho,
    Sen
    SatToday

Thank you, Jundo, Jakuden, and everyone. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/LAH today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you all. Will be joining later, just finished work. Metta toward Kendrick's wife, I hope all is well.

Gassho

Sat today lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Today's Zazenkai is dedicated to Kendrick's wife, and all those we love who suffer.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Also, here are a few notes and tips for using Zoom that we've learned over the past weeks:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- When you first join, you *should* be automatically muted (this is how the room is set up, but I'm still not 100% this works as expected -- please let me know if anyone discovers otherwise).

- Each participant can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view) whenever they would like
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"
    -- During the Zazenkai, the Doshi (Jundo) should always be "pinned", so in "speaker view" you'll never see anyone else

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- The free version of Zoom will only allow you to HOST meetings up to 40 minutes long, but you can JOIN meetings of any length (the Zazenkai, etc.) with it.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    For technology challenged folk like myself I really really REALLY appreciate the clear and easy (for me) tips. And thanks to yourself and others who keep the Treeleaf cogs turning.
    Gassho
    Anna

stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you everyone!
    Metta to all, suffering.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah
    Metta to your wife and all those suffering from health and the struggles that ensue.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat today/lah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Jundo’s talk about how people change was apropos. Today right after sitting Zazenkai I went to have coffee with my brother. My relationship with my brother has been hit and miss over the years including a period of about 10 years where he just completely withdrew from me and my wife. More recently he’s been much more engaged.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah
    Metta for your wife and family.

Thanks, everyone, for the sit.

The talk made me think of my mother. She's getting . . . older, and I worry about her and how she's changing. She's also stubborn as an ox and sometimes I struggle to have patience with her. It's become part of my practice, I guess.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

Nenka,

I also struggle to find patience with my grandmother sometimes. She is also very stubborn with a streak of passive aggressive. As Fugen used to say, it's all good practice.

At least, I think it was Fugen who used to say that all the time. Either way, I am adopting it!

Gassho and much metta

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Geika,

Yup, that was textbook Fugen!

My mother's living in a crumbling house in a deteriorating Chicago neighborhood by herself. People ask me why I don't try to get her to move. I can't even get her to throw out a jar of peanut butter that expired in 2008, what am I supposed to do? I'm lucky at least I have a few friends still living in the old neighborhood that could check up on her. Also, since we had a very hot summer, the police were doing wellness checks on seniors and they still give her a call from time to time (and show up at her door when her phone line doesn't work because she had modem troubles for like a month before she got it fixed.) So it's not all bad. Just frustrating.

Gassho

Nenka

The story I referenced and stumbled on the name ...

Angulimala

The name Angulimala literally means "necklace of fingers". Before Angulima's conversion to Buddhism, he was on a deluded quest to kill one thousand people ... but instead the Buddha was able to persuade Angulima to give up his negative actions. Angulima became a disciple of Buddha and eventually reached arhathood.

https://encyclopediaofbuddhism.org/wiki/Angulimala

And sometimes the Buddha told someone not to come back, and they were expelled from the Ordained Sangha, although even then ... I bet the door would have been open if there had been real change. Sex, stealing, killing and claiming levels of attainment that one dd not deserve were the most serious offences in the Buddha's Sangha. For example ...

If a bhikkhu, with an intention of theft, takes away others' possessions, has at the time and on the spot of the theft a minimum value of a quarter of the currency used during the Buddha's time (1.06 grams of gold + 1.06 grams of silver + 2.12 grams of copper, so approximately 10 euros in 2002 - 9,50), he looses his status as a bhikkhu for life.
    The rules also made various exceptions, such as stealing food to save the life of someone who is starving perhaps.

We will reflect on some of these actions, such as killing and misusing sexuality, in our Precept reflections.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Today's Zazenkai is dedicated to Kendrick's wife, and all those we love who suffer.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Jundo, thank you so much. /\ Everyone, thank you for the massive amount of kindness our way. /\

Update for today: We ended up going to the ER, and I'm very thankful for my parents who watched our kids while we did so. After several tests and checks, and several nurses' and doctors' help all seems to be OKAY! Or at least it wasn't the terrible outcome we had expected and only some minor/moderate issues. Much better than expected since the previous two times of such scenario ended with very bad outcomes. We just got home about an hour ago and are feeling very grateful tonight. I'm keeping in mind tonight all of the others facing troubles that didn't have such good news and that are feeling scared, helpless, or defeated. I will sit this zazenkai as soon as I get the chance with what remains of the weekend and will dedicate my practice to them.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/Lah

Kendrick, so glad to hear that all is (mostly) well. Hope you all are resting well now. Thanks for the update! Metta

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Sat the zazenkai at home, very peaceful, may all beings share that peace

Gassho, Tokan

sat

Thank you everyone for your practice,
    Gassho
    Myoku
    sat

Gassho to all.
    May all beings be at peace.

Gassho
    Heisoku
    stlah
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

_/\_ Jundo
    _/\_ Jakuden

bowing to all

Anne

~lahst~

Gassho to all after sitting with you on this spring morning.

dean
    sattoday

Just sat this Zazenkai.
    Thank you for your practice everyone and have a good week!

Gassho,

大哲

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast