Thread: Zen of Creativity Chapter 8

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zen of Creativity Chapter 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Brilliant! Thank you for sharing, Jishin! The tiger is incredible.

In Zen terms, I sometimes think that the fabled one breath images produced by ink brush painters or poems that appear spontaneously without needing editing can be held up as the gold standard for 'Zen' art. However, I know myself that whereas a rough draft of a haiku is more raw, sitting with it and letting it almost edit itself can produce something that is more reflective of the moment.

Likewise, would you say the same about your images, Jishin, that you are trying to produce a photo that captures more of the essence of the creature or moment? Or is it a purely stylistic consideration?

What do others feels about their work in terms of raw freshness and later re-touches, edits etc?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Thank you Kokuu!

I go for the essence and the moment and anything else that may make a cool photo. I like portraits because its bare bones with few distractions from the subject. If possible I like eye contact because the eyes truly are the windows to the soul, both with humans and animals.

I think there are debates about photography ethics. How much can you change an image digitally and still call it photography? Some say very very little and some say a lot. The fact is that filters and other techniques have always been used so I would say that a lot of editing is ok.

I am new to photography with about 9 months experience and love learning about it. Each photo and editing session is a learning experience. Always fun. It’s great to compare before and after.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__
    Last edited by Jishin; 10-04-2019 at 04:19 PM.