Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 27 and 28

"Simple Living" - Chapters 27 and 28

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 27 - Seek Out The Sunset - Take a moment to watch a sunset, whether from the country or between buildings in a city, whether on a clear or a cloudy or rainy day. Just take a moment to remind yourself that, clear or cloudy, whether like a postcard or hidden by walls and electric lines, ideal or seemingly no big deal at all ... it is this unique sunset, just as it is, nothing to add or take away. Be grateful to be witnessing it, whatever kind of sunset. Our life shines from that sun. Ideally just what it is, perfect or imperfect, thus it is always a Big Deal!

Chapter 28 - Don't Put Off What You Can Do Today - For a moment, imagine yourself on your own death bed, but feeling content and happy about being there. Truly pretend for a moment. Can you also witness the moment like you witnessed that sunset, with the same acceptance and wonder? It is our sunset.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Been there at the moment of death. I had been flown to a major medical center in the early morning hours, remember sounds, and whispered voices and then silence. In that silence, I remember hearing what sounded like waves washing on a rocky beach and with each wave the sound was softer and more peaceful. Suddenly I felt my body being turned, pain as tubes were being incerted and loud voices telling me to wake up. I had been more than willing to just be there and listen to the last wave and shells settling at the ocean's edge. Never have had problems with the certenity of my death in the future, IT IS SIMPLY THE LAST SUNSET.

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

It is odd. I seem to have a different version of the book.

Seeking out the sunset is chapter 20 in my edition. Death contemplation is chapter 98.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Lorax,
    So reassuring and sweet. Glad you are back with us to share that wonder.

Bowing

Anne
    ~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    It is odd. I seem to have a different version of the book.

Seeking out the sunset is chapter 20 in my edition. Death contemplation is chapter 98.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Maybe we figured out part of the mystery of the two versions with separate titles. Mine looks like this ...

There is also a version floating around called ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Re: Chapter 27
    I meet up with an elderly bloke who lives nearby at 4.30pm 6 afternoons a week to go for a walk. So we walk, almost kinhin pace stopping regularly, leaning on our bamboo poles just talking and enjoying being in the bush. We're gone for 1.5 hours and walk just 3km so that's the pace. Every time we're coming home we're walking towards the sun setting and it's just magnificent. It is the perfect way to end an enjoyable walk with my friend, although sometimes I go back to his place to continue chatting over a cup of tea.

Re: Chapter 28
    I've done this a number of times before, especially as I watched my father battle blood cancer for 7 years. When earlier this year I was presented with the potential of having blood cancer myself I had to really confront my own mortality. I was surprised at how much my Zazen practice had impacted my life because I was genuinely at peace with whatever the diagnosis was. After a bunch of tests over a bunch of months my blood is still wonky but I don't have blood cancer but I am still at peace with dying and death. And it still surprises me that I am because I used to be scared of it.

Gassho
    Anna

stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Regarding the difference in numbering, I think that the one is the American version and the other is the UK version. I just got the UK version (second cover, published by Michael Joseph/Penguin) and the numbering matches Kokuu's. On that note, I think the death contemplating for this week is based on #30 in the UK edition, not #98, although both are about death.

Gassho,

Nanrin

St
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

these are my Zen sunglasses

Gassho
    Sat Today/lah
    Grateful for your practice

My Kindle version is also different, sunrise is C.20. I haven't yet found the contemplation on death, but like death itself, it will come.
    Sunsets are beautiful, but sunrises are too, reminding me to be grateful that I'm still living.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Maybe we figured out part of the mystery of the two versions with separate titles. Mine looks like this ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Mine is the bottom copy. I just answer from what you put in your opening post then look at the book afterwards.
    Having 3 books on the go at once is bending my noggin.

Gassho
    Anna

ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/T...=488&fmt=pjpeg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg
    Yes! I have the bottom copy.

Good to know for future reference to be specific which one we tell folks to get.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Re: sunset reflection. When we eat the evening meal together, I often ask my kids "what was interesting about today."

On welcoming death, I've been dealing with this approaching for my parents. Contrary to clinging to life, my mother is quite depressed and sees her final years as simply waiting, with no benefit. Should could use more sunset reflection. Could use the whole book, really.

Gassho
    Sat today

No merit. Vast emptiness; nothing holy. I don't know.

I hope Jundo doesn't mind, but he posted this in another thread and I believe he meant it to be here, so I'm copying and pasting -

Folks should just look at this online version if things seem off, and compare to find the chapter. Sorry for the confusion ...

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...page&q&f=false

I will try to provide the chapter headings each week. This time is "Seek out the sunset" and "Don't put off what you can do today."

If I'm mistaken, please someone delete.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Sunsets and sunrises and the time in between I cherish.

Doshin
    St

Doing this exercise, I couldn’t help but let the second part influence the first. The birds chirping seemed to mimic the sound of a heart monitor, but maybe heart monitors and birds are one. As I sat on my back deck watching the sun set, my wife asked me what I was doing. I told her I was doing an Ango assignment of just being with the sunset. She said “Well, that chainsaw buzzing isn’t making for a nice sunset.” I explained to her that the point was to just be with whatever sunset presented itself.” Later I had come inside to do chores and I saw her sitting on the back porch. “What are you doing I asked?” She said, “ I’m just sitting with chainsaws”

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Yes! I have the bottom copy.

Good to know for future reference to be specific which one we tell folks to get.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    I will put the Chapter Names from now on. Perhaps that will help find them.

Gassho, J

STLah

Every instant is a sunset.

The autumn sun creeps up the wall of my studio/sitting room, and helps to remind me that each time it does so, my sun is a little lower.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.