Thread: Oryoki 9/8/19

Oryoki 9/8/19

Hello all,

Let's begin a new season of Oryoki practice!

We will meet in the Treeleaf Now Meeting Room:https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meeting-room at 8:15am Los Angeles time, Sunday September 8th.

All are welcome and not to worry if it's all brand new to you!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Thanks Shugen, I will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Shugen. I plan to be there.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I will be there :-)

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

I dug around among the various copies of Oryoki chants and procedures and found what I think is the most up-to-date Treeleaf version that we use for our practice circle (thank you to Shingen for putting it together!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ZNMktteHM/view

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    I dug around among the various copies of Oryoki chants and procedures and found what I think is the most up-to-date Treeleaf version that we use for our practice circle (thank you to Shingen for putting it together!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J...ZNMktteHM/view

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Thank you Jakuden!

Now, the document looks like a lot to try to remember but do not worry! It is perfectly fine to print it out or bring it up on a tablet to refer to. I do.

Also, do not beconcerned about making a "mistake"! The only one that will see it will be you. We are not recording. We may at a later date but not yet. This is Oryoki [U]practice[U]. We will be taking it nice and slow.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to post them on the thread. Your question could also help a sangha mate!

I will end with a story about the first time I did Oryoki at a retreat:
    The very first retreat I every went to was at the Toledo Zen Center. I had been with Treeleaf for about a year so was very new and unsure of myself. I did not know anyone at the center and went on my own. During Oryoki at a center, there are servers, so someone brings you food and picks up the "hungry ghost" offering. The offering is place at the end of your setsu (cleaning utensil) and when the server comes by to pick it up, you gently press down on the end of your setsu so it is easier for them to grab. I wasn't the only one nervous apparently. A person about 2 people down the line pressed down so hard on the end of the setsu that it launched a piece of carrot across the room and hit me. I did not see it happen, all I knew was that someone was throwing food! I refrained from retaliating so no food fight in the zendo that day. I ignored it and found out what happened later. We all had a good laugh. It helped break the tension and bring everyone closer together.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Thank you Jakuden!

Now, the document looks like a lot to try to remember but do not worry! It is perfectly fine to print it out or bring it up on a tablet to refer to. I do.

Also, do not beconcerned about making a "mistake"! The only one that will see it will be you. We are not recording. We may at a later date but not yet. This is Oryoki [U]practice[U]. We will be taking it nice and slow.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to post them on the thread. Your question could also help a sangha mate!

I will end with a story about the first time I did Oryoki at a retreat:
    The very first retreat I every went to was at the Toledo Zen Center. I had been with Treeleaf for about a year so was very new and unsure of myself. I did not know anyone at the center and went on my own. During Oryoki at a center, there are servers, so someone brings you food and picks up the "hungry ghost" offering. The offering is place at the end of your setsu (cleaning utensil) and when the server comes by to pick it up, you gently press down on the end of your setsu so it is easier for them to grab. I wasn't the only one nervous apparently. A person about 2 people down the line pressed down so hard on the end of the setsu that it launched a piece of carrot across the room and hit me. I did not see it happen, all I knew was that someone was throwing food! I refrained from retaliating so no food fight in the zendo that day. I ignored it and found out what happened later. We all had a good laugh. It helped break the tension and bring everyone closer together.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH
    Omigosh that’s hilarious

That must be why rice is such a popular choice for the hungry ghost offering... it is sticky so it tends to stay put on one’s Setsu!!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can't attend live but are there past recordings? I'd love to practice along later in the day.
    Best,
    -Sara
    ST

Here is one with Shingen from last November.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Excellent stuff, thank you Shugen, Jakuden (great chanting0, Washin, and Krissy (welcome). =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Krissy, Shingen, Washin and Shugen for allowing me to practice this wonderful tradition with you today

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you Shugen and everyone. Beautiful chanting Jakuden.
    Such lovely practice.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Deep Bows,

Shugen

Sattoday
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

That was very lovely. Thank you for allowing me to practice with you. Wonderful chanting, Jakuden.

And thank you Shugen and Shingen for answering my questions!
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

So sorry I couldn't be with you this Sunday, and I can't make next Sunday either, I have a family wedding. Hopefully I'll be able to join the Sunday after.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satiwthyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    So sorry I couldn't be with you this Sunday, and I can't make next Sunday either, I have a family wedding. Hopefully I'll be able to join the Sunday after.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    satiwthyoualltodaylah
    I look forward to it!

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼