Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sept 6th-7th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - COMMENCING JUKAI & ANGO!

Really appreciated Kyonin's comments and experiences about mistakes in Ango helping our practice grow.

I have been waiting to take Jukai for a few years now but unable to do so because I was turned away by other zendos because I could not be there in person. I live in a rural area, I have a laypersons life and responsibilities to my family at home. I am so grateful for Jundo and Treeleaf for including me in Jukai and Ango. I love that we are all over the world, together.

Bingo Bango Ango!
    -Sara
    ST

Thank you all! Happy Ango!

Edit: I love this practice. At the same time I kept thinking, is this ZAZENKAI over already. hahahahah Then I'd laugh at myself and continue. I'm the King Bodhisattva of Complaining lol

Jundo - I always love when you talk about Dogen's chapter on Ango, and when you shared your discovery of Manjushri's practicing in the three places relating to practicing with greed, anger and ignorance. It was an "ahhhh" moment for sure.

Gassho

Risho
    -st
    Last edited by Risho; 09-07-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Happy Ango to all,
    Gassho
    Richard

Sat/lah

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

For the young folks . . . reference @ 2:13:59

(Yeah . . . I may be a super fan of a little radio show called Crap from the Past)

Happy first day of Ango to everyone! Feels like it's gonna be a good one.

Gassho

Jen

P.S. The floats near the end of that Bon Festival video!!!

Oh that song Jundo was referring to Ooga Chaka or whatever it just occurred to me how perfect the lyric is for Ango and Zen and suffering: “I .... I ... I ... I’m hooked on a feeling”

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a little frustrated due to now being scheduled to do all of our dog grooming van laundry on Zazenkai evenings... I am going to try and shift it to another day of the week, but as of right now, it will be difficult to move... juggling two jobs if hard!!! But many have it much worse...

I will be catching up with this Zazenkai over the weekend.

Thank you all, and I apologize for not being on the "Hollywood Squares" live

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    Oh that song Jundo was referring to Ooga Chaka or whatever it just occurred to me how perfect the lyric is for Ango and Zen and suffering: “I .... I ... I ... I’m hooked on a feeling”

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For us youngins, Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling is immediately recognizable from its feature in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, which is where I remember it from.

Gassho
    -Gil
    ST

_/\_

AC

~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I am a little frustrated due to now being scheduled to do all of our dog grooming van laundry on Zazenkai evenings... I am going to try and shift it to another day of the week, but as of right now, it will be difficult to move... juggling two jobs if hard!!! But many have it much worse...
    Dog grooming is grooming Buddha, is Ango. So, not being frustrated is Ango, the laundry of the mind (they even had monks who had to wash the sheets at Eiheiji). Please sit Zazenkai somewhere in the open, clear blue sky between the two jobs.

Please be inspired by Buddha-poodle ...

e632bd697a0e05455d532280a7d1a5df_preview_featured.jpg

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-09-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post

Jundo - I always love when you talk about Dogen's chapter on Ango ..t
    Yes. you have been around here so long, you have probably heard this talk 2 or 3 times ....

Gassho, J

STLah

I just finished this zazenkai thanks to the livestream being uploaded to YouTube, thank you to everyone who made this possible!

I enjoyed the talk about "all the time and all the places are here". I found this especially interesting because just yesterday my husband and I were watching a science documentary and in it, the presenter was talking about an idea in physics about non-linear temporal causality (the future influencing the past just as the past influences the future). The implication being that time and distance, one some level of reality, doesn't really matter to the smallest particles; and that we are, ourselves, made of those particles which are built up by orders of magnitude to manifest as each of us. We're vibrating atemporal bits of energy and a lot of empty space. It is literally true that "all the time and all the places are here".

I'm looking forward to the next zazenkai!

Gassho
    Sen
    SatToday(a lot)

Wonderful, I finally got to sit this evening. Yesterday included some very physical activity and I fell asleep directly after supper. As always, I enjoyed the talk. Thank you for that Jundo. I love the story of Manjushi's Ango practice in the three places and Mahakashyapa's lesson of tolerance and forgiving. But, the highlight of the evening was the Japanese Line Dancing in a Circle. I remember going to those summer evenings events in Higashi Kawaguchi and then again in Fuchu-cho. The community interaction is so graceful and sincere. Thanks to everyone who joined in or will in future.
    Have yourselves a truly great Ango and Precept study.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you for this.

I finished a few hours ago, and it was wonderful. I managed to hurt my hamstring during the second kinhin though, so I did slow sitting stretches for the others. Despite that little snag, I was able to complete this session, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I hope that I can join in two-way live next time.

Gassho
    krissy
    ST
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Encounter Bay, South Australia, Australia
    Thank you Jundo, for an inspiring talk.

And so it begins.....

Gassho

brucef

st/lah

Hi all.

Welcome to Ango 2019 (although is timeless).

I was staring at the wall the other day and the word Ango came to my mind. And then the monkey mind thought: Ango sounds a lot like Mambo. Both are happy, both are dances, both require a beginners mind to be understood and both require to let go of ego to be enjoyed and to follow the rhythm.

So... Uno! Dos! Tres! Cuatro! Cinco! Seis! Siete! Ocho! Aaaaaaaaango! Ooh!!

(On this video we can see Perez Prado, the orchestra director. He invented Mambo. The male dancer is Resortes or Springs, a great comedian and dancer of the 50's. The female dancer is Ninon Sevilla, a singer-dancer-actress loved by everyone at the time).

Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Last edited by Kyonin; 09-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post

Thank you for your performance of the chants Kyonin, and for your observations during the ceremony. I hope come end of Ango I can stay off the sweets but it'll be Christmastime so ... good luck with that (for me) haha.

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi all.

I was staring at the wall the other day and the word Ango came to my mind. And then the monkey mind thought: Ango sounds a lot like Mambo. Both are happy, both are dances, both require a beginners mind to be understood and both require to let go of ego to be enjoyed and to follow the rhythm.

So... Uno! Dos! Tres! Cuatro! Cinco! Seis! Siete! Ocho! Aaaaaaaaango! Ooh!!

(On this video we can see Perez Prado, the orchestra director. He invented Mambo. The male dancer is Resortes or Springs, a great comedian and dancer of the 50's. The female dancer is Ninon Sevilla, a singer-dancer-actress loved by everyone at the time).

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Oh, our next dance for next month's Zazenkai will be this, and you will lead us ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Hi all,
    I sat with the recording as I couldn’t make the live event. This was the longest I have sat as I am pretty new to this. Not going to lie-I found it challenging, but that’s ok. I very much enjoyed Jundo’s talk about the history and meaning of Ango. And the dance! That was a blast and a surprise. Thank you to Dani for that. Thanks to all who make this possible.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Quote Originally Posted by KristaB View Post
    Hi all,
    This was the longest I have sat as I am pretty new to this. Not going to lie-I found it challenging, but that’s ok.
    I know this may sound like capt. obvious, but this right here is the most important time to sit - in my personal opinion - or do anything really - when you don't want to do it; then you truly drop the dislikes and likes and just do it. After a while it won't matter

Gassho

Rish
    -st

Sitting in parts.

[Gassho2]
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you, Jundo
    and thank you all.

Gassho

Teiro
    Satlah
    Teiro

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Dog grooming is grooming Buddha, is Ango. So, not being frustrated is Ango, the laundry of the mind (they even had monks who had to wash the sheets at Eiheiji). Please sit Zazenkai somewhere in the open, clear blue sky between the two jobs.

Please be inspired by Buddha-poodle ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you, Jundo. I am often tempted to join in on Zoom without a face during times I can sit quietly at the laundromat, but I don't know if it would be considered rude to drop in and out when it is not during kinhin.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

i just sat the zazenkai, wonderful...thank you for that, jundo! and also, great teaching.. i really enjoyed it...a great reminder that if our intention, our heart is open, theres no place where no ango is..
    and also thanks kyonin for your comments... its really taking the pressure out of it, and a nice image you have drawn with that comment of changing habits and at least karma from ango to ango

bows

Ben

stlah

Great, Ango Mambo, the only Sangha with Zazenkais and Dance lessons to boot, I'll be there (or here, don't know)
    gassho, Shokai
    stelah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Game of Zafus!
    I would totally watch that! The original has too much violence for me.

Beautiful start to Ango. Thank you, everyone! Lovely dance instruction, Danni!

There seemed to be too many people to put in the metta verses at the moment. So much suffering.

Wishing you all a wonderful Ango!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you, Jundo and Kyonin and everyone for this great beginning of Ango zazenkai.
    Thank you, Dani, for the lovely Tsukuba Dance.
    Let’s go Ango.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you all . Sat with you all today

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah

I'm grateful to have been able to sit this zazenkai with you all

Tokan, sattdy

Finally sat this zazenkai with the recording.

Thanks all for your practice!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Finally finished this zazenkai. Thank you all for your teaching, comments and dancing.

My daughter was giving me some fairly strange looks as I danced for her.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah.

Finished this lovely zazenkai today, just in time for tonight's
    Kyonin, I cannot wait to see you do the Ango Mambo , bring it on
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Completed a few days back but didn't post. Thanks to all and happy Ango.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Today I visited an American gym, and I worked out moderately- difficult for me. I experienced my usual pain, and this bed fellow only leaves me when I lie down to sleep, then I kick him out and go right to sleep. I say that I have no time for Facebook, and note, worldwide "Facebook" has become a proper noun and largely because it has captured nearly all the world. Not me. I have learned to ignore its thoughts; are ever present in apps, passwords, popups, and demanding advertising throughout this world. Billions of key strokes are pounded out each hour for this lavish dangling ideology which threatens to swallow us up, and more to be learned by leaving it alone. Even as I leave it alone, I'm forced to buy produce, software, oatmeal, bran, beer, bubbles, and baby toys, all stamped throughout and within with the stamp of F, F, Facebook, F, F, so today, not tomorrow, not yesterday, but today I will not visit Facebook's addiction, this addiction which threatens our Zendo, our Sangha, our world, our lives. Today will be tomorrow, will always be today, and as with any good addiction, "One Day At A Time." And as I go along, leaving Facebook becomes easier, easier, and easier...
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Someday I'd like to visit Japan, and truly sit with Jundo. I had the privilege of sitting Zazenkai with three wonderful people was it two or three years ago when Jundo and son came to USA? I had my rakusu already so it must have been two years ago, Jundo. Kyousui, and Matt, and this an experience I will remember until I die. To tell the truth, though I'm in Ango, I have only read a portion of The Mind of Clove, and still waiting to read more of A Brief History of Buddhism. Though it's Buddhism, still have yet to look into The Iron Flute, a birthday gift from my daughter. I would like to go to Japan and travel. However, some things are better wished for. I sat for almost 5 minutes today, then for an additional 15 minutes. In my mind, I think that if I look at a clock, my sitting time is over. Is that right? At some point in my exercise training, I'd like to try Zazenkai, my knees are so much better than 20 months ago when I could barely make it through the Sunday Sit, now I'm working on upper body. When I feel secure with upper body muscles, I will approach Jundo see what he thinks about sitting Zazenkai. I feel like walking meditation is just fine. Zazenkai is important; usually I skip through the recording doing what I am able. If you read above, that's enough out of me for a while.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.

There are good teachings here, Tai Shi. Thank you. Three bows.

Gassho
    Doyu sat today. LAH
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you for your practice, Tai Shi.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

At some point I told the story of my daughters trip to Japan which lasted 4 yrs. She had experienced depression the first year at a private school in Chiba; then she moved to Date, Hokkaido, and her depression lifted. She had arrived just after the Great Earthquake/Tsunami and as she taught the depression lifted. She interacted as dad began to move toward his vows for the precepts. She explained on Skype how to pronounce Shikantaza as dad began his chair sitting. Three times I participated in Zazenkai, and I picked out material unsuited for sewing. Mom helped dad understand there was no way. Then a package arrived at Tai Shi's house with a beautiful Rakusu, and Jukai, with all its study and commitment came in Jan. 2016, not that long ago for me. I am truly young in my practice of just sitting and remain indebted to Jundo and all, my daughter too, for my commitment to Treeleaf Zendo, my Sangha. By the way, I hav't drank alcohol for 32 yrs, and only now are the precepts and so much more making sense.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-19-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12