Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept 6th-7th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - COMMENCING JUKAI & ANGO!

Sept 6th-7th, 2019 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - COMMENCING JUKAI & ANGO!

Our Zazenkai is in Special Celebration and Welcome of the
    Commencement of our 2019 ANGO & JUKAI Season

Today's Talk will reflect on "ANGO: NOW & THEN"
    (text below in this thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 6 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    LINK TO BE POSTED HERE IN THE COMING DAYS

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-06-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Adding video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Please read the following in preparation for our Zazenkai ... These Passages will be the center of today's talk ...

Ango: NOW & THEN ...

What is Ango in our day and time, for householders in the modern West? Is it Ango as the Buddha, Dogen and all the Ancestors Practiced?

The meaning of the Japanese word Ango [安居] (Skt : varsha or varshika; Pali: vassa ) is “tranquil dwelling”. The origin is the “rainy-season retreat” , the period when Buddhist monks in India stopped their travels and outdoor activities for the duration of the rainy season and gathered at some sheltered location to devote themselves to Practice, study and discipline. One practical reason was because the heavy rainfall made traveling and outdoor activities impractical. But it was also a time when the individual monks in Buddha’s time, spending most of the year scattered here and there in small groups or individually, could gather and unite as a community and Practice together. During the rainy season in India, monks traditionally dwelt in a cave or a monastery for three months—from the sixteenth day of the fourth month to the fifteenth day of the seventh month. During this period the monks learned the Buddha's teachings, engaged in meditation and other practices, and repented their harmful behavior and weaknesses. The tradition is said to have begun during the time of Shakyamuni, was brought to China, and in Japan the three-month retreat was first observed in 683. Now it comes to us.

In the time of Master Dogen, Ango was a period of intense Practice mostly (but not exclusively) for monks living in a monastery. In his early years, Dogen’s Teachings emphasized that Zazen and Enlightenment are open to all, monks or householders, male or female, everyone. Later in life however, Dogen found himself chased out of the cosmopolitan capital city by other religious groups, turning to live in a remote and isolated monastery in the snowy mountains of Japan. Although in other writings to his lay students, Dogen continued to emphasize how this Way is open to all, his writings like Shobogenzo were meant to be talks heard primarily by his monks, meant to encourage monks in their monastic life and “keep up morale”, and thus, quite naturally, centered on the importance of Practice in a monastic setting.

But does that mean that Ango is not for householders as well? How has the Practice of Ango evolved as Zen has come to the West, to modern times, and again become open to all, monks or householders, male or female, the physically able and the physically challenged, everyone without distinction?

We will look at a few passages from Master Dogen’s “Shobogenzo-Ango”, written in his jazzy wild way:

http://www.bdk.or.jp/pdf/bdk/digital...enzo4_2008.pdf

----------

To meet a summer retreat is to meet the Buddhas and the Ancestors. To meet a summer retreat is to realize Buddha and to realize the state of an Ancestor. .... In this “Ninety days makes a summer,” though the measurement of time is a cerebral measurement, it is beyond only one kalpa or ten kalpas, and beyond only a hundred thousand countless kalpas. ... [The summer retreat] has not come here from another place and another time, and it does not originate from just this place and just this time. When we grasp their origins the ninety days come at once. When we grope for their basis the ninety days come at once. The common and the sacred have seen these [ninety days] as their caves and as their very lives, but [the ninety days] have far transcended the states of the common and the sacred.

** a "kalpa" is a vast eon of time measuring billions of years.

The World-honored One addresses Bodhisattva Round Realization, the great assemblies of monks, and all living beings:

If you practice the retreat for three months from the beginning of summer, you will abide in the pure state of a Bodhisattva, your mind will leave the state of a śrāvaka, and you will be beyond dependence on others. When the day of the retreat arrives, say before the Buddha the following words: “In order that I, bhikṣu/bhikṣuṇī/upāsaka/upāsikā So-and-So, who rides upon the Bodhisattva vehicle may perform tranquil practice; that I may harmoniously enter, dwell in, and maintain the pure real form; that I may make the great round realization into my temple; that body and mind may practice the retreat; and that the wisdom whose nature is balance and the peaceful natural state of self may be without hindrances; I now respectfully ask, without relying on the state of a śrāvaka, to practice the three-month retreat together with the Tathāgatas of the ten directions and the great Bodhisattvas. By virtue of enacting the great causes of the supreme and fine truth of the Bodhisattva, I will not be involved with others.” Good sons [and daughters]! This is called a Bodhisattva’s manifestation of the retreat.

** a "śrāvaka" might be called a self-absorbed "armchair Buddhist"

** upāsaka/upāsikā = laymen and laywomen

Once when the World-honored One was doing the ninety-day summer retreat somewhere, on the final day, when the ceremony of public repentance was held, Manjushri suddenly appeared in the assembly, whereupon Makakashō asked him, “Where did you do your retreat this summer?” Manjushri replied, “This summer I did the retreat in three other places.” At this, Makakashō assembled the community, intending to have Manjushri expelled by striking the wooden fish. But just as he had raised the hammer to strike the wooden fish, he suddenly saw innumerable Buddhist temples appearing. He could see that there was a Buddha with a Manjushri at each place and a Makakashō at each place, his hand raising a hammer to expel Manjushri, whereupon the World-honored One spoke to Makakashō, saying, “Which Manjushri do you wish to expel now?” Makakashō was immediately dumbfounded.

[Dogen continued:] Meditation Master Engo, in commenting on this account, once said the following:

If a bell is not struck, it does not ring; if a drum is not struck, it
    does not resound. Makakashō had already grasped the essential
    function of a summer retreat; Manjushri had rid himself of all duality
    by means of his doing his meditation throughout the ten quarters. This
    very moment in the story is an excellent one, for it expounds the
    functioning of the Buddha’s Teaching. How regrettable to have
    missed such a move! As our dear Master Shakyamuni was about to
    say, ‘Which of the Manjushris do you wish to expel now?’ just
    imagine, what if Makakashō, right off, had given the fish a good
    whack! What mass annihilation would he have then created?
    [Dogen continued:] Meditation Master Engo added a verse to this commentary of his:

A great elephant does not play about in the narrow path that a rabbit makes,
    And what could a little bird know of a great wild swan
    It was just as if Makakashō had created a new way of
    putting the Matter whilst staying within the rules and regulations;
    It was just as if Manjushri had grabbed a flying arrow
    within his teeth, having already broken the target.
    The whole universe is one with Manjushri;
    The whole universe is one with Makakashō.
    Face-to-face, each is solemn in his authority.
    Makakashō raised his hammer, but in which place will he punish Manjushri?
    Manjushri did It with one fine prick of his needle;
    Makakashō s ascetic practices rid him of all hindrances

[Dogen continued:]So, the World-honored One’s doing the summer retreat in one place is equivalent to Manjushri’s doing it in three places, and neither is not doing the summer retreat. If someone is not doing the retreat, then such a one is not a Buddha or a Bodhisattva. There is no account of any offspring of the Buddhas and Ancestors not doing a summer retreat. You should realize that those who do a summer retreat are offspring of the Buddhas and Ancestors. Doing a summer retreat is the body and mind of the Buddhas and Ancestors. It is the Eye of the Buddhas and Ancestors, the very life of the Buddhas and Ancestors. Those who have not done a summer retreat are not the offspring of the Buddhas and Ancestors: they are neither a Buddha nor an Ancestor. We now have Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, be They as humble as clay and wood, as precious as silk and gold, or as wondrous as the seven precious jewels.* All of Them have performed the retreat of sitting in Zazen through the three months of the summer. This is the ancient custom of abiding within, and maintaining, the Treasures of Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha. In short, those who reside within the house of the Buddhas and Ancestors must, by all means, do the practice of sitting in retreat for the three months of a summer.

A GOOD ANGO TO ALL!!!!
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-05-2019 at 02:52 AM.

I find myself bowing to a computer monitor a lot these days. _()_

Will attend this zazenkai live (always with the proviso that no emergency intervenes, in which case "as able"). _()_

gassho
    doyu sat taday and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

I will attend live! I am not sure if my webcam will allow for two-way but I will try.

Gassho
    krissy
    sat today
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

I'm hoping to attend live, although I may not be able to stay for the whole four hours. The deciding factor will be my computer and/or Internet connection, both of which aren't working properly at the moment.
    Metta for my PC and modem.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I will chug some espresso and try to attend live for the first part, but then catch up with the remainder via the recording on Saturday morning. I don't think I'll be able to stay awake for the whole thing live

Libby
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I will chug some espresso and try to attend live for the first part, but then catch up with the remainder via the recording on Saturday morning. I don't think I'll be able to stay awake for the whole thing live

Libby
    ST
    Don't do anything unhealthy. lt is fine to sit with the recording (just the same) if lt means too much lack of sleep. You literally miss nothing.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live, two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Looking forward to sitting with the recording tomorrow.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Will be sitting partly live, partly recorded.

Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat Today
    Lah
    Grateful for your practice

Thanks Jundo,

I'll be sitting part live, and part recorded! See you all tomorrow.

Gassho,

Brad

SATLAH

Thank you Jundo.

I'll be there with instruments ready

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I won't be able to attend live but will be with you in spirit and watch tomorrow morning.
    -Sara
    ST

I am waiting anxiously for the beginning of Ango. I won’t be able to sit the Zazenkai tonight, though. I will have to sit it latter. May we all have a good Ango.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

I'll be there one way (or another!). I may have to sit first half tonight and half tomorrow during the day as the 4-hour zazenkai goes way past my bedtime. If that's OK.

Gassho
    STLah
    James

I'll be time shifting to Sunday - see you all then!!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Sunday I will join you all tonight. What is time anyway?

Bows
    Anne

~lahst~

I am very fortunate to be so close to the Japanese time zones so I will attend live and two way. When I bow I will bow with those who will attend zazenkai later, and when I sit I will sit with the whole sangha, even if you are asleep somewhere in the world. There is no time other than now, yet neither does now exist in oneness.

Meta to all as we start this Ango, Kia ora (be well) as we say in New Zealand.

Gassho , Tokan

About to sit

I was hoping to attend live but unfortunately I will be unable to make it, I will join one-way as much as I can though. The Ango Opening Zazenkai is always a lovely special time for us to all sit together.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

sitting with you all live one-way - fortunate to have mundi sitting with me here this morning for the beginning of Ango

_()_
    sosen & mundi
    stlah

I won’t be able to make it live. I’m about to cook dinner for my family. I promise it’s healthy. I will sit this over the weekend.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat/Lah

Mp
    Hey folks,

Here is the event information:

Treeleaf Sangha is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Sept 6/7 2019, Monthly Zazenkai - Ango / Jukai Opening
    Time: Sep 6, 2019 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://zoom.us/j/8166671365

One tap mobile
    +17207072699,,8166671365# US (Denver)
    +16465588656,,8166671365# US (New York)

Dial by your location
    +1 720 707 2699 US (Denver)
    +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
    Meeting ID: 816 667 1365
    Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acKunHUR1K

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Sitting with you all one-way for at least the first part

Gassho
    Libby
    ST

Sitting here one-way today.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Tsukuba Bon Dance from about 10:17 minute mark ... Dani said she is "front left" ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-07-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Doshin
    St

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone ... sorry I had to leave early, but great sitting with you. Happy Ango and Jukai everyone. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you dear Sangha Let’s go Ango!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, Jundo, and everyone. It was a great start for Ango.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for sharing in practice today and in the coming Ango. Sometimes each of us will be Mahakashyapa, sometimes Manjushri.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you all. Thank you Jundo for the great talk.
    Happy Ango to everyone!

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Right doing flows as a river from the hands of Manjusri and Mahakasyapa / we dance.

Gassho
    doyu sat today and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Tsukuba dance was something special today...
    Day one!

Gassho

ST

-Gil

The recording of this month's Zazenkai is missing the first half - it starts in the middle of the Dharma Talk.
    I was looking forward to this one because of Ango. But in the spirit of Treeleaf I will adapt and make it work the best I can.
    I will still sit this Zazenkai in spirit - rewatching the start of last month's monthly Zazenkai for the ceremonial part. Then I will do Zazen and Kinhin on my own up to the Dharma talk and then continue with the last half of the actual Ango kick off Zazenkai video knowing I sat with you all the full time.

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Oops, looks like someone was not aware of the two-hour retained recording limit on Zoom. The recording picks up exactly two hours from the end. Was it by chance recorded in another fashion that could be uploaded? In any case, I am grateful to be here with you all.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

Thanks for today comrades but apologies for leaving after the Tsukuba Bon Dance, I should've stretched first lol. No, my back told me that I'd had enough and I listened but Dani was a wonderful teacher. What a fantastic way to start my first Ango. Thank you all again.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/lent a hand
    Last edited by Onka; 09-07-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    Oops, looks like someone was not aware of the two-hour retained recording limit on Zoom. The recording picks up exactly two hours from the end. Was it by chance recorded in another fashion that could be uploaded? In any case, I am grateful to be here with you all.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.
    No, it is all there now. Sometimes it takes awhile for the video to finish processing, so you and Keving must have caught it before it was done.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Hey Nengei! Try watching it now!

Gassho
    Splendid! I just finished the middle and end. Now it is time to sleep. Tomorrow I will sit again with you all for the beginning.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

Watched it live one way, a wonderful start to Ango. Joined in late. For most of it I didn't see anything due to my slow connection, but I heard the talk and people's comments just fine. Skipped the dance (can't follow along without video) and took a break and walked around a bit instead. In one of the transitions I answered some messages on my phone. Stumbled my way through it to the end though! Fell many times, got back up each time until the final gassho. When we got the the metta chant I realized I'd not made it that far in the 4 hour zazenkai since last Ango!

Some of my commitments from last Ango became habits that are still with me - I hope that this Ango will create some additional habits and they will keep adding together over the years.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat with you all

Thank you all. I made a brief appearance two-way but had some volume issues (i.e. for some reason Zoom was really loud despite my frantic prodding of the laptop volume settings, which claimed it was really quiet) and was about to wake the whole house up, so I reverted to live one-way for the first hour and will catch up later today. Will look at my volume settings later as well.

Wishing you all a good start to Ango

Gassho,
    Libby

That's great, I will sit tomorrow evening with you via youtube.

Gassho
    Ben

Stlah

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I am quite sure that Mahakasyapa would be shocked.... shocked I say to see that we are doing our Ango in a Dance Hall of all places! Have a good Ango everyone!
    Gassho
    Ishin
    Sat today
    Lah
    Grateful for your practice

ln my talk today, l mention that l am still watching the last two episodes of "Game of Thrones." (Please don't tell me how it ends!)

l just want to say that Game of Thrones is Greed, Anger and Divided thinking personified! lt is even about "life vs. DEATH" quite literally!

What would Game of Thrones be if all those folks suddenly became Buddhists!?

Game of Zafus!

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you everyone for sitting and for making this possible,
    Gassho
    Myoku
    sat

What would Game of Thrones be if all those folks suddenly became Buddhists!?

Game of Zafus!

Gassho, J

STLah[/QUOTE]

Don’t think the ratings would be as good.

Doshin
    St
    Last edited by Doshin; 09-07-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Thank you and enjoy Ango.
    Good to sit this with you.
    Gassho Heisoku
    ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you to Jundo and Kyonin... what a great start to Ango!

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat/lah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you all for sitting together and thanks to Jundo for the talk.
    Have a good Ango everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I sat with you all via recording.
    Not sure why I was so looking forward to Ango starting, since it means no chocolate for three months.
    PS Game of Thrones -> Game of Zafus - ok but "sitting the Iron Zafu" doesn't sound that fun.

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast