Thread: Request for Funding Help: Kyonin Pilgrimage to Japan

Request for Funding Help: Kyonin Pilgrimage to Japan

EDIT BY KYONIN:

THANK YOU: THE FUNDRAISING IS NOW CLOSED (and so is this thread )

Dear all,

With all my heart I want to thank you for your love and support. We have reached the goal and everything is set for the travel. We can now move on to finish preparations.

I will take you all with me on this adventure.

Gassho,

Kyonin

Dear Leafers,

Our Rev. Kyonin will be making a short visit to Japan at the end of September, his first time.

While in Japan, the plan will (hopefully) include his sitting for a week at a Japanese temple, Myotokuji (妙徳寺) in Fukui Prefecture, not so far from Dogen Zenji's temple of Eiheiji. Myotokuji holds a rather traditional Soto-style Sesshin for about a solid week, rising early, working and sitting, and it is important for a Zen priest to experience such if it is possible.

Of course, while in Japan, Kyonin will also stay with me (Jundo) for some days, and I hope that he will have exposure to our history and Zen culture in this place that is so important to our traditions.

However, it is a major expense and undertaking for Kyonin, who struggles economically, to come from Mexico to Japan. Even reducing expenses as much as possible, he could use some support. He writes the following:

Dear all,

Since I was a child I have been aware of the teachings of the Buddha and I have always wanted to ordain. It was thanks to my Aikido and Iaido Sensei that I began practicing Zen. As you can imagine, Japan and Zen Buddhism have always been in my heart. They are part of who I am.

Being a Zen Buddhist priest in Mexico and so far away from Japan, it is rare to have the opportunity to travel to Japan and learn. I feel the calling and I also feel that the time is right for me to sit and practice with Jundo Roshi in Tsukuba if only for a few days.

But because Mexico is a poor country, it’s very difficult for a Mexican priest to travel to other lands to learn. Specially Japan since our money is not as strong as the Yen is. I already have the plane tickets, but I need some help to sustain myself the 20 days I’ll be there.

The plan is to travel to Tsukuba, then off to sesshin at a temple for a week, and then go visit historic places key to our tradition and practice (temples, roads, monuments). If possible I’d also like to take a shodo, shakuhachi, history or [Buddhist] cooking workshop, but that’s only a wish.

So I come to the sangha with a humble request for assistance. If it’s possible for you to donate a few bucks to help me on this journey, it will be greatly appreciated. You’d not only be helping me but our growing Spanish speaking sangha.

Thank you in advance.

Kyonin
    Kyonin and I discussed how much he will need. We believe that about half his time here will be devoted to clearly Buddhist and training activities, and that Kyonin should pay himself for anything that is not clearly related to Buddhism and training. He should only request help with expenses facilitating his Zen training. Accordingly, he could use assistance with approximately $1500 U.S. to cover the portion of air fair and domestic travel in Japan clearly involving Buddhist activities (and he himself will pay another approximately $1500 out of his own pocket).

Furthermore, Kyonin and I will be trying to keep his expenses even lower than such amount. If there is any balance remaining after his trip (or if he raises more than he needs), we will make sure that the unused balance will be donated to some reputable charity to aid people.

We do not require or ask any donations for anything we do here at Treeleaf, so any donation to Kyonin should be without obligation, and only because somebody simply wishes to assist. It has always been considered in Buddhism a very generous act of Dana and Merit to support a priest on pilgrimage and in training.

I look forward to seeing Kyonin here in Japan, sitting in our Zendo in Tsukuba and his visiting with my family. We will travel together a bit around this part of Eastern Japan. Hopefully, we will be able to bring you all along as much as possible. He will be in Japan from September 27th to October 15th.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here, or PM to Kyonin and/or me.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Kyonin; 09-04-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I can give a little where and how?
    Taishi
    sat/lah
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I can give a little where and how?
    Hi Tai Shi,

It's in the original message:

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    If you wish to donate, the best way is directly to Kyonin's paypal account: Go to paypal,com, and enter "morelius@gmail.com"
    Gassho,
    Kevin
    ST

Kyotai
    Kyonin,

It would be an honor to give a little towards your trip, as you have given me and our sangha so much.

Thank you. I will message you.

Gassho Kyotai
    ST

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I will check with the Finance Minister (my partner) and give what we can.
    Gassho
    Anna
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

Mp
    This is wonderful, thank you all for helping my brother on his Dharma journey. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Happy to contribute to your journey.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

A good opportunity at Ango time to help our friend Kyonin.

Gassho
    Anne

~st~

Happy to assist Kyonin in this endeavor. If everyone gives even just a little bit, it should be no big deal. I can only think that the entire Sangha will reap the benefits of our Kyonin making this trip.

Gassho
    Sat Today
    LAH
    Grateful for your practice

Dear all,

I am humbled by your generosity and practice.

Thank you all.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Last edited by Kyonin; 08-26-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Kyonin

A little aid heading your way.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Doshin
    St

Kyonin,

I'm happy to donate to your journey. A little aid is heading your way.

Gassho,

Van
    SAT

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kyonin,

More help is on the way.

Gassho,

Nanto

Sat2Day

If you see the Buddha on your journey put in a good word for me before you kill him.

_/|\_

Nengyo

Nenka

ST/LAH

Kyonin, My travels to Japan changed my life for the better and we, as a Sangha, will be better from your journey there. I'll be sending you a little bit later on in the week, but wanted you to know that I see you and will help.
    -Sara
    ST/LAH

So grateful for your practice and dedication, Kyonin!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

I try to help another style.

Do effort to welcome Japan.

Gassho
    Lah
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your aspiration and dedication, Kyonin.
    Thank you everyone for your contribution to our brother's journey.

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I'm so happy for you Kyonin, I'll gladly donate, but I can't use PayPal. I'm happy to do a direct transfer if you have bank account details, please let me know.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Im happy to donate. Thank you for all the work you do for the sangha.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Guys...

You got me in tears several times a day. Thank you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you for your practice and teaching, dear Kyonin, it will be such a joy to see you sitting with Jundo on the other side of the world!!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

THANK YOU: THE FUNDRAISING IS NOW CLOSED (and so is this thread )

Dear all,

With all my heart I want to thank you for your love and support. We have reached the goal and everything is set for the travel. We can now move on to finish preparations.

I will take you all with me on this adventure.

Gassho,

Kyonin

Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍