Thread: August 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

August 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 5 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-24-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added youtube link
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Google has retired the "Hangouts on Air" feature we've used in the past for the Zazenkai. From now we will be using a tool called "Zoom." This is free to all who sit the Zazenkai. The Zazenkai will also be streamed one-way on youtube (as before, it will be posted here about 10 minutes prior to the Zazenkai).

Join Zoom Meeting
    https://zoom.us/j/8166671365

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 816 667 1365

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi guys,

I'll be there live. See you all tonight.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I shall attend non-synchronously _()_

gassho doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

I will be returning from a road trip. Catch you all later!

Gassho

Sat today lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I'll be there across time.

See you on the flip flop.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I am at near Treeleaf.

Very sleepy but sit.

Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will join you all via the YouTube link.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    ST

Sitting with you all live one-way.

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Sitting one way with you all

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Guys,

Is there a link to join?? Gassho, J

Sitting with you today one-way.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together to practice on this beautiful evening / morning / afternoon. Much gratitude to all.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #whack!
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. It was lovely, as always. Have a great weekend.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Although I could hear Jundo just fine, I did not hear any Japanese birds from the zendo today. I found that a little odd. I kind of miss the birds.

I just read this yesterday in “The Evolution of the Precepts” Study Material for the 2008 National Conference of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association:

"The Ten Recitation Vinaya for example, relates the following story of some monks who were unable to meditate without falling asleep. The Buddha allowed them to wash their heads to prevent drowsiness; when this did not succeed, he gave permission to other monks to pour water on them, or nudge them by hand, or cast balls at them. Eventually the Buddha allowed the use of a 'meditation stick'. This stick is held by one of the monks (exactly which monk is not specified) over his head, with one hand on each end. He strikes any monk who falls asleep and returns to his meditation position only when he is sure no one is asleep. Another item approved by the Buddha is the 'meditation tablet'. A string is run through a hole in the tablet down either side of the head and tied to each ear; a monk falling asleep during meditation will cause the tablet to fall, waking himself up with a start.

"Similar objects and practices appear in the Mahasamghika Vinaya. Here a junior monk specifically is given charge of the meditation stick. Even if his teacher should fall asleep, the monk must wake him, out of respect for the Dharma. First, he shakes the stick in front of the sleeper three times. If this does not rouse him, the sleeper is poked in the knee with the stick. Once a monk is awakened, he must take over the stick duties. During cold weather, the Buddha allowed monks who were shivering and could not properly hold the stick the use of a cloth 'meditation ball' which is cast in front of the sleeper." [Excerpts from Yifa “From the Chinese Vinaya Tradition to Chan Regulations - Continuity and Adaptation” in Going Forth (Bodiford, ed.)]

Thank you for the Zazenkai today. Gratitude to all.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Sekishi! You are very lucky to get hit by the zen stick!

Joined two-way but audio wasn't working and the app repeatedly froze and restarted so I didn't know what was going on. During kinhin something stung my foot so I bowed out of the video to take care of that. At that point zoom had used up 85% of my phone's battery. After taking care of that, I joined back in via YouTube for the last few minutes of zazen. Although I prefer sitting two-way, I'll probably stick to one-way from here on out

Glad to sit with you all

Nanrin

Sat today

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here is the version in China,

... and in Korea (from about 3:30 mark) ...

... and Deshimaru Roshi, going all out (about 40 seconds in)

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Science Abbot View Post
    Although I could hear Jundo just fine, I did not hear any Japanese birds from the zendo today. I found that a little odd. I kind of miss the birds.

I just read this yesterday in “The Evolution of the Precepts” Study Material for the 2008 National Conference of the Soto Zen Buddhist Association:

"The Ten Recitation Vinaya for example, relates the following story of some monks who were unable to meditate without falling asleep. The Buddha allowed them to wash their heads to prevent drowsiness; when this did not succeed, he gave permission to other monks to pour water on them, or nudge them by hand, or cast balls at them. Eventually the Buddha allowed the use of a 'meditation stick'. This stick is held by one of the monks (exactly which monk is not specified) over his head, with one hand on each end. He strikes any monk who falls asleep and returns to his meditation position only when he is sure no one is asleep. Another item approved by the Buddha is the 'meditation tablet'. A string is run through a hole in the tablet down either side of the head and tied to each ear; a monk falling asleep during meditation will cause the tablet to fall, waking himself up with a start.

"Similar objects and practices appear in the Mahasamghika Vinaya. Here a junior monk specifically is given charge of the meditation stick. Even if his teacher should fall asleep, the monk must wake him, out of respect for the Dharma. First, he shakes the stick in front of the sleeper three times. If this does not rouse him, the sleeper is poked in the knee with the stick. Once a monk is awakened, he must take over the stick duties. During cold weather, the Buddha allowed monks who were shivering and could not properly hold the stick the use of a cloth 'meditation ball' which is cast in front of the sleeper." [Excerpts from Yifa “From the Chinese Vinaya Tradition to Chan Regulations - Continuity and Adaptation” in Going Forth (Bodiford, ed.)]

Thank you for the Zazenkai today. Gratitude to all.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    Yes, thank you, that is what I remembered and was looking for.

The sleeping device is this; They would put a stick under their chin, and loop a rope from the ceiling under their arms. They used a special wooden support called a "Zenpan" to hold the chin up.

"Zenpan" description here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=smN...0zazen&f=false
    Here is one:

The birds are on summer vacation. Cicadas are coming however.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-24-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone ... back from work, will sit with you all over the weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I have uncontrolled asthma at the moment and a lung infection. Not exactly awesome not being able to breathe easily but also not a big deal, it just means high doses of steroids and antibiotics which mean a tummy that is dodgy and feeling extra tired. My intention was to sit live with you all this morning but apologies I will be sitting with you a bit at a time.
    Metta to all who have their own battles at the moment. Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/lent a hand
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, thank you, that is what I remembered and was looking for.

The sleeping device is this; hey would put a stick under their chin, and loop a rope from the ceiling under their arms. They used a special wooden support called a "Zenpan" to hold the chin up.

"Zenpan" description here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=smN...0zazen&f=false
    Here is one:

The birds are on summer vacation. Cicadas are coming however.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you, Jundo. I hope the birds enjoy their vacation. Looking forward to the cicadas.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you all,Sekishi Jundo.

Very hard trip to go TR,I leave at 5AM and come back 6PM.

Partner and son need my love?

Anyway I need to go rice field to live.

And I need to change dharma clothes at my car.

But my partner is beautiful I feel.

My ego will not finish.

Jundo sing this song today?

Gassho
    Lah
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an early start today so that I am free to LAH later this morning

Thank you all. The audio was much better today Jundo. So good in fact that the bell at the end of the second Zazen was startling.

Tairin
    Sat today and will be LAHing as soon as I finish breakfast
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks for coming together guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I have uncontrolled asthma at the moment and a lung infection. Not exactly awesome not being able to breathe easily but also not a big deal, it just means high doses of steroids and antibiotics which mean a tummy that is dodgy and feeling extra tired. My intention was to sit live with you all this morning but apologies I will be sitting with you a bit at a time.
    Metta to all who have their own battles at the moment. Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/lent a hand
    Hope you feel better soon, Anna.

Gasho
    Anant
    SaT

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. Sat this today in the cool of the morning. Our birds are quieter now, too, except for the scrub jays. _()_

The audio seemed somewhat faint to me (I'm very deaf) but I did all right with an earbud. _()_

Metta to you Anna

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 08-24-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Sound quality
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Anant
    Gassho
    Anna
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you all for sitting together.
    Thank you for the talk Jundo. The audio was fine this time.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all.

PS So very glad my wife does not have one of those sticks with instructions to wake me up with it lol

Gassho,
    Kevin
    ST

HI Jundo and everyone. Sorry not to have been able to sit with you yet since joining. School holiday daddy responsibilities makes it impossible for me to sit the Zazenkai even in my own time (ie not live).
    I'm really looking forward to being able to link in with you all once term starts at the end of the summer. I'll be hoping to sit the previous Sunday's Zazenkai on my quiet Friday morning...

Gassho

Mark

I sat today

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    HI Jundo and everyone. Sorry not to have been able to sit with you yet since joining. School holiday daddy responsibilities makes it impossible for me to sit the Zazenkai even in my own time (ie not live).
    I'm really looking forward to being able to link in with you all once term starts at the end of the summer. I'll be hoping to sit the previous Sunday's Zazenkai on my quiet Friday morning...

Gassho

Mark

I sat today
    You were there anyway in heart, Mark. I also ran from Zazen to my summer "Daddy" duties.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - Mark, would you do me a favor and post a human face "avatar" picture to accompany your posts? It is one of the ways we have around here to look each other in the eye a bit. PM if not sure how.

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Kyosaku translated ...

As you can see for our Kyosaku at Treeleaf Tsukuba, which was given to me by the Abbot of Sojiji Head Temple many years ago ... there is an expression scrawled upon it ...

吞却乾坤

Kyosaku Treeleaf Tsukuba.png

It means "swallow the whole earth/universe"

乾坤 is an interesting term that means whole world, yin yang, male female ... everything, all opposites rectified ...

http://www.chinese-word.com/data/0044-2.html

The expression comes from a Koan in the Blue Cliff Record regarding Unmon (Yunmen) in which he holds out his stick and says ... "The staff has changed into a dragon and swallowed the universe. Mountains, rivers, the great earth---where are they to be found?”

All things and all atoms of all things hold the whole universe, yet where are those things and atoms and the whole earth and universe to be found when swallowed?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-27-2019 at 01:20 PM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

All things and all atoms of all things hold the whole universe, yet where are those things and atoms and the whole earth and universe to be found when swallowed?
    Within me, where they have always been.

Sat / lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I forget to mention that the writer of the Kanji on the Kyosaku who gave it to me many years ago was this fellow ...

The 21st Abbot of Sojiji Head Temple, Umeda Shinryu Zenji (梅田信隆) ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Sat this zazekai through time and space. /\

Thank you, Jundo for sharing the history of the Kyosaku (particulary ours). /\

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/Lah

I finished the Zazenkai this morning. Thank you all for your practice and for everyone who made this possible

I might be in a minority but I used to like the kyosaku when I sat with a group. A well place whack on each shoulder was remarkably effective at relieving the stress in my shoulders and neck.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Lovely! Thank you all.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Sat this Zazenkai today. Late as always.
    Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everybody for this beautiful Zazenkai.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Never late, always 'just as it is.'
    btw, never say never

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Never late, always 'just as it is.'
    btw, never say never

gassho, Shokai
    stlah

Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

I was out working last night. I hope everyone had a lovely zazenkai. I will be joining later, thank you everyone.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.