Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 19 and 20

"Simple Living" - Chapters 19 and 20

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 19 - Try A Standing Practice - While holding the strap on the bus or train (please NOT while driving!), in a long line for the grocery check-out, in an elevator rushing not to be late, or in the middle of a sidewalk, store or your own kitchen, suddenly, on the spur of the moment and for no reason, just stop ... breathe ... for a few minutes (or even just a few moments) of "standing" Zazen. Then, proceed on ...

Chapter 20 - Don't Waste Time Worrying About Things You Cannot Control - When something happens this week or comes to mind that you really cannot control, drop from mind all worry and thoughts of control.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Only relatively recently did I realise that my partner and I have this book
    Both of us have picked it up from time to time and use it as a reminder to take stock of where we are in our minds and heart. We are both people who 'feel' our thoughts and emotions in a physical way so it's nice to pause and listen to our bodies.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/lent a hand
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Will do.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    Will do.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    Do-non-do!

Gassho, J

STLah

然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

You deserve to be happy.
    You deserve to be loved.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

Chapter 19 - While holding the strap on the bus or train (please NOT while driving!), in a long line for the grocery check-out, in an elevator rushing not to be late, or in the middle of a sidewalk, store or your own kitchen, suddenly, on the spur of the moment and for no reason, just stop ... breathe ... for a few minutes (or even just a few moments) of "standing" Zazen. Then, proceed on ...

Chapter 20 - When something happens this week or comes to mind that you really cannot control, drop from mind all worry and thoughts of control.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Chapter 19 - I often find myself doing this, even if its out walking our dog Sophie. Most days I walk on a path alongside the river that leads up to Mont St Michel. I'll randomly stop and for a few seconds or minutes take in the surroundings and with reference to Chapter 17, breath deeply and drinking the countryside and wildlife. Also when working on our plot of land, cutting grass or managing veg plot and trees etc. It seems to reset any stress and renews peace.

Chapter 20 - Again with all the Brexit shenanigans that I have no direct control but could have a big impact on us as Brits in France, I've started trying to take this approach at the latest reports, kinda read, breath, let go. Its hard but its helping day by day to drop all the BS that's coming out from the UK "government". I cannot let my stress and worry effect my wife's health and angina condition (stress is a big no no for her) , so its equally important for me to "drop from mind" for both of us.

PS - Walking bare foot around the house, is also calming and grounding under the above circumstances.

Time for the morning dog walk and a little lah if the opportunity arises.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I think it was back in chapter 16 but last night when I got off the train I walked the last half mile or so home on the grass with no shoes on. I must have looked a bit mad but it felt great and relaxed me before I got home.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Chapter 19 - I do this all the time, several times a day. It was inspired by the Insta-Zazen beginners video here at Treeleaf. It is my defence from resorting to pulling out my mobile device as I wait for something

Chapter 20 - there’s already been a few opportunities to try this out with mixed success. This is one of the reasons that led me to this practice initially. I tend to hold on to things rather than accepting things as they are. Work in progress

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Chapter 19 - I do this all the time, several times a day. It was inspired by the Insta-Zazen beginners video here at Treeleaf. It is my defence from resorting to pulling out my mobile device as I wait for something
    Yes, it is basically our patented "Insta-Zazen"©

Zazen for Beginners (13) - Anywhere, Anytime INSTA-ZAZEN!
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...nners-%2813%29

Gassho, J

STLah

I should try this!

Sat today

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I've been doing this randomly all week--taking a moment. Dropping worries.

Gassho

Nenka

ST/LAH

Chapter 19: I know you said no driving lol... but.. I like to do this one while stopped at stop lights. Just breathe and use it as a mini session. I got the idea from Thích Nhat Hanh’s writings - “stoplight meditation”. It definitely helps the stress remain down if you are in a hurry and hit s red light. Which brings me to 20..

Chapter 20: traffic is terrible in my city. Lately has been no exception. When the traffic is dense and progress to my destination has been slow, even when I’m running late and it has for certain made me late, I have let the worry slide this week. I can’t control all the other cars. I can only operate mine safely. No need to be upset about the traffic - it happens and if I have to drive that route to work it’s out of my control and I can’t expect to avoid experiencing the traffic jams as that is just part of the driving experience here.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH

19 - I also do a little Insta-Zazen while waiting for the green sign, Kendrick. In my case, it is a little less stressful, as a live in a small country town.
    I’m also doing insta-zazen at home or while waiting in lines.

20 - In these stressful times, it is really hard to let go of the thoughts, especially politics and environmental destruction. I tried, but have to try harder.

Gassho,
    Sat today/LAH