Thread: Life of Animals in Japanese art

Life of Animals in Japanese art

Greetings art lovers,

A current exhibition at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC deserves a mention. This exhibit is a survey of Japanese art spanning 17 centuries. I found it interesting that many of the artist were women. Unusual evidently in Japan's history of art making. Enjoy. Would love to see the exhibit in person.

Because John Daido Loori's book (The Zen of Creativity) is so much about Japanese arts I thought some of you that are following our discussion in the Art Circle might find this exhibit interesting.
    https://hyperallergic.com/513728/lif...-japanese-art/

Gassho

Anne

~lahst~

Thanks Anne,

I subscribe to the hyperallergic site but had missed this entry. Would love to go too!
    I bought a lovely book on Hokusai from the British Museum when I couldn't make it to the exhibition.
    It included information on his daughter Eijo who was also a talented painter and assisted her father a lot.
    Interesting that many of the artists in the current exhibition were women.

Gassho

Jinyo

How did I miss this??
    Such a lovely article and the artworks are beautiful, I agree, I would love to see this.
    I'd never heard of hyperallergic and I'm now subscribing to the newsletters, so thank you Anne.

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you!

That looks like such a great exhibition!

On the subject of Japanese art and creatures I can recommend this lovely little book which is a combination of traditional haiku and Japanese art on the subject of our friends from the animal realm:

Haiku Animals

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Greetings art lovers,

A current exhibition at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC deserves a mention. This exhibit is a survey of Japanese art spanning 17 centuries. I found it interesting that many of the artist were women. Unusual evidently in Japan's history of art making. Enjoy. Would love to see the exhibit in person.

Because John Daido Loori's book (The Zen of Creativity) is so much about Japanese arts I thought some of you that are following our discussion in the Art Circle might find this exhibit interesting.
    https://hyperallergic.com/513728/lif...-japanese-art/

Gassho

Anne

~lahst~
    Thanks for this Anne.
    Gassho
    Anna
    Sat

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thank you!

On the subject of Japanese art and creatures I can recommend this lovely little book which is a combination of traditional haiku and Japanese art on the subject of our friends from the animal realm:

Haiku Animals

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Thanks Kokuu
    Whenever anyone recommends a book my partner and I would likely enjoy I copy the link to a folder I have on my little tablet thingy and when we win lotto the first thing I'm doing is getting these books.
    This one is definitely on the list!
    Gassho
    Anna
    Sat

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thank you!

Haiku Animals

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    That's lovely, but oh I'm crying with laughter; I thought I'd google Utamaro to look at some of his insect images. That's not exactly what I found
    But fear not, here are a frog and a beetle. Not having sex.

18e2d184-fd4c-48d8-b5fd-beb125ecada2.jpg

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Kokuu, thanks for the book recommendation!

On my list.

Gassho

Anne

~lahst~