Thread: August 16th-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

August 16th-17th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

NOTE - Please excuse poor sound quality on short Dharma Talk

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 5 MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-19-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added start time
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thanks Jundo, I will be there live two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Provided I've got enough internet I'll be there

Gassho
    Anna

ST/LAH
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I know I will sit this one recorded - daughter just returned home from Europe last night and husband is on his way back from Oklahoma after a month. It's also my father's 76th birthday - big weekend!

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hi Jundo!

I'll be live with instruments ready

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Folks,

I'll be time shifting again. See you all soon!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Google has retired the "Hangouts on Air" feature we've used in the past for the Zazenkai. From now we will be using a tool called "Zoom." This is free to all who sit the Zazenkai. The Zazenkai will also be streamed one-way on youtube (as before, it will be posted here about 10 minutes prior to the Zazenkai).

To join two way, here is the Zoom meeting link:
    https://zoom.us/j/913667690

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 913 667 690

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Will be with you all one-way

Gassho
    Jakuden

Will be joining live one way, as well!

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Sitting with you all live oneway.

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

Sitting live one-way.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi everyone,

Google has retired the "Hangouts on Air" feature we've used in the past for the Zazenkai. From now we will be using a tool called "Zoom." This is free to all who sit the Zazenkai. The Zazenkai will also be streamed one-way on youtube (as before, it will be posted here about 10 minutes prior to the Zazenkai).

To join two way, here is the Zoom meeting link:
    https://zoom.us/j/913667690

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 913 667 690

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Apologies comrades. I missed this update until it was too late. Internet connection where we live is patchy at best and I'm having challenges downloading Zoom without interruption to connection.
    Will try to get stuff sorted completely for next time without being in a flap.
    Gassho
    Anna

LAH
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone, have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone, have a great weekend and Happy Obon. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you all for this opportunity to sit together -- and reflect on Ancestors. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin and everybody. Thanks to Shingen for helping me to get onto Zoom. It was a lovely zazenkai. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Thank you so much, Jundo, Kyonin, the tech Ino, and all. I sat live one-way with you.

Gassho,
    krissy
    sat today/lah
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Thank you all who maintain Zoom for us, Thank you Jundo and Kyonin for another wonderful Zazenkai and all who sat or will sit. And all who came before us to make this possible. Have a great week.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together to practice. Ancestors, teachers, and descendants - each for the time-being.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you all, and happy Obon, wherever and whenever it is being celebrated.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you to Jundo and all. It's always a great way to start the weekend.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Satlah

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks Jundo and Kyonin. Remember your parents. Whatever they were or are you wouldn't be here without them.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Thank you for the Zazenkai. Zoom seems to be a very good service.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Nice to see you all briefly. Finished my sat, despite lap top battery dying. I was there, in spirit.

Have a great week all,

Gassho,

Brad

SatLah

Thank you everyone. I sat with all of you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all for this zazenkai.

Gassho
    Anant
    SaT

Thank you all!
    Sat the Zazenkai today. Unfortunately I didn‘t get much of what Jundo said - the audio was not so great on my side of the screen. ��

Gassho

Teiro

Sat/Lah
    Teiro

Unfortunately I didn‘t get much of what Jundo said - the audio was not so great on my side of the screen.
    Same here...

Thank you all.

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Teiro View Post
    Thank you all!
    Sat the Zazenkai today. Unfortunately I didn‘t get much of what Jundo said - the audio was not so great on my side of the screen. ��

Gassho

Teiro

Sat/Lah
    In a sense I am glad to read this. I have hearing problems so it wasn’t obvious to me at the time that it was the audio quality of the recording. I missed most of what Jundo said as well. Up until then I was thinking how much better Zoom was. The discussion at the beginning of the recording was clear.

Maybe it was just mic placement but I noticed too that the bell didn’t ring out clearly to the end.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

What I said ... Obon holiday ... nice to respect and remember our ancestors.

Now nothing is missed.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    What I said ... Obon holiday ... nice to respect and remember our ancestors.

Now nothing is missed.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    PS - Perhaps it was just like this at Eiheiji in Dogen's Time, or on Vulture Peak with the Buddha. I can imagine two guys in the cheap seats at Eiheiji listening to Dogen recite the Shobogenzo, and saying, "the Genzo What???"
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-19-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    PS - Perhaps it was just like this at Eiheiji in Dogen's Time, or on Vulture Peak with the Buddha. I can imagine two guys in the cheap seats at Eiheiji listening to Dogen recite the Shobogenzo, and saying, "the Genzo What???"

Gassho
    Teiro

Sat
    Teiro

Nenka

ST

Thank you, Kyonin and Jundo for this lovelly Zazenkai.
    A great Obon to all.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Very good,
    The obon festival - to the extend I understand, sounds absolutely delightful. So many places have 'festivals,' commemorations, etc. where the living and the dead interact still - is this emptiness? Sure it is, but it also speaks to and of a deep need and experience that people have of talking with the dead, visiting the 'land of the dead,' where the boundary between living and dead is not quite so hard and firm as many of us 'enlightened' 'moderns' think of it - and that that can be a life giving and very positive thing
    gassho
    sean
    sat.lah