Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 17 and 18

"Simple Living" - Chapters 17 and 18

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 17 - Exhale Deeply - Breathe for a minute or so from high in the chest, then switch to deep breaths from the diaphram or below the navel in the "Hara." Do you feel a difference in body and mind?

Chapter 18 - Sit Zazen - Please sit Zazen. All activities return to Zazen.

Gassho, J

ST Lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yes and yes.

Doshin
    St

Wonderful practice.. chest breathing makes me feel tense, feels unnatural and belly breathing is really relaxing, effortless.. in daily life, in situations when I'm stressed, I fall into chest breathing, when I'm relaxed I can observe lower/belly breathing, also the breath is much deeper and relaxed. The mind state manifests in the body and in the breath, that makes clear that body and mind are not seperate.

That's also why belly breathing is recommended for zazen - to settle into a state of openness and relaxation is much more easier when the body is relaxed; so mind relaxes. And this way all the daily life tasks can become zazen

Gassho,
    Ben

St

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Chapter 17: I did this exercise first thing upon getting to my desk at work this morning (moments ago). Filling up my chest makes me feel more alert, and it has a slight undertone of aggression to me - makes me 'puffed up', like one would do to look more intimidating making themselves look bigger to a threat. Belly breathing however, seems relaxed and where my breath goes when it takes it own course. Much more relaxed in fact, lets my abdominals be at ease and my body fall into a gentle position.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat

Quite naturally I find that if I am tense or if I am getting stressed about something a deep exhalation almost always provides me with an ability to reset. (Ok. Maybe several deep breaths if I am really holding on)

Sit Zazen? You bet.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Yes. Yes.

Gassho
    Doyu sat and lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Breathing can be so powerful. I try to do some sort of conscious breathing every day whether that's as advised in the quote above or some sort of yogic (or Wim Hof) style breathing. I also use breathing techniques when I get nervous, when I feel anger rising and when I go to sleep.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

#17: As a martial artist I'm familiar with this breathing technique and, like Neil, I use in in various situations. It has been an invaluable companion in my life.
    #18: done.

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah

Deep breathing is my go to stress buster for just about everything. And funnily enough, so is just sitting, even though I don't sit with that goal.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Tried the deep breaths and it makes a lot of difference if done from the chest or from the abdomen.
    Sat zazen.
    Gassho
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Ch. 18. Zazen of course!

Gassho
    Kendrick
    SatTonight

#17: As an asthmatic, I always appreciate deep abdominal breathing. It really is a great feeling.

#18: Sat Today!

Gassho

Nenka

Yes to both 17 and 18!

Gassho
    Washin
    ST
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Hello,

yes, and yes.
    For #17 I have a childhood memory of me being at the doctor, he trying to sampling some blood from my arm.
    Needle in the vein, but not a single drop of blood coming out. Little Kotei was anxious and breathing very flat.
    After several attempts and poking here and there, the doctor instructed my to breathe deep from the diaphragm.
    Me relaxing, blood flowing.
    I am using breathing this way to calm down. The memory of blood flowing again and cycle cycling again is very visual and powerful to me.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Yes to both! And hello!

Deep breathing is a calming and inclusive practice, for me it leads well into sitting Zazen.

It has contributed to my stability and helped me manage my migraines pain.

Gassho,
    Geoff.

LaH
    SatToday.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?