Thread: August 9th-10th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

August 9th-10th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS --8-- MINUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-10-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Updated youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am planning on being there 2 way!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

I will be time shifting as usual - but I will be around right at the beginning in case anyone is having trouble with getting in to either one way or two way.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

2 way plan _()_

gassho
    doyu sat lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Google has retired the "Hangouts on Air" feature we've used in the past for the Zazenkai. From now I we will be using a tool called "Zoom." This is free to all who sit the Zazenkai. The Zazenkai will also be streamed one-way on youtube (as before, it will be posted here about 10 minutes prior to the Zazenkai).

To join two way, here is the Zoom meeting link:
    https://zoom.us/j/319926276

If you have not installed Zoom, following the above link will walk you through installing Zoom as an app on your mobile device or as a desktop client under Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you have already installed the Zoom desktop client or mobile app, you can use the link above, or simply open Zoom and join with the following meeting id: 319 926 276

We've not actually tried this feature yet (so I'm not sure how well it works)... If you have a limited data plan, but lots of "minutes" available on your phone, you can also join us (with audio only) by simply dialing in on any phone.

One tap mobile:

+16465588656,,319926276# US (New York)
    +17207072699,,319926276# US

Dial by your location (you'll need the meeting id from above):
    +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
    +1 720 707 2699 US

To call in from outside of the US, see this list of International dial-in numbers: https://zoom.us/u/acKunHUR1K

For all of the above methods, you'll remain on hold until about 10 to 15 minutes before the Zazenkai starts.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi all,

I am currently at a Chinese medicine seminar. I'll have to sit this one on Sunday morning.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Folks,

If anyone is having any trouble logging in please post here and I will try and help get you in.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Sitting with you all live, oneway,

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

I'm waiting for the zoop app to download - is it ok if I join two-way a bit late? Hope I can figure it out quickly.

Nanrin

Sat
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Nanrin,

That will be fine. No worries.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

You can also watch one-way via the youtube link that is in the first post. Just click on the video link at the top of the post.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

Beautiful, thank you everyone who sat and will sit. Love my Sangha!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Mp
    Thank you Jakuden, Sekishi, Shinshi, and Shoka for being there to make sure all went off without a hitch! We were successful! Thank you to everyone for coming and sitting and being a part of this great Sangha.

Have a great weekend and Jundo, hope you are feeling better. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you all, Shingen, Sekishi and Jakuden (great chanting by the way), and everyone else who sat and will sit, Have a great week.

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Shingen, Jakuden, and everyone. I hope Jundo feels better soon. With the new system, one-way seems to work better for me. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you Jakuden and Shingen. And thank you ALL for coming together to practice like this. Much Metta to Jundo and all who are ill.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks you all for giving us a place to come.

Doshin

st

Really glad to have been able to join in live. Zoom app didn't have sound and I didn't want to bother everyone playing with it much so I switched to the YouTube stream for the second sit. Next time I'll try to join the meeting early so I can troubleshoot without interrupting the main event.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today

I normally sit one-way, but the one-way You-Tube link was not available when I checked, so I hastily created a Zoom account and joined two-way.

Feel better soon, Jundo.

Many thanks to those who made this Zazenkai possible.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    Next time I'll try to join the meeting early so I can troubleshoot without interrupting the main event.
    For sure ... with the new platform we will be opening earlier, so please do come and we can sort out any issues. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

I haven’t been able to make it to these lately (which I feel bad about). Watching my youngest tonight still. I will try to sit this one this weekend as soon as I can.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
    I haven’t been able to make it to these lately (which I feel bad about). Watching my youngest tonight still. I will try to sit this one this weekend as soon as I can.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH
    All good Kendrick .... taking care of the little is Living Zen and also very important. This is the great thing about technology ... it always you to sit with us anytime, anywhere. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you Shingen and everyone. _()_ _()_ _()_

I signed in to the link and for some reason it had me on Phone (I was on a 10 year old MacBook). Not until I noticed and hit the Comuputer option did I get a mute button. Learn something every day.

Metta to Jundo and to those ill or at unease near and far.

gassho
    dyu sat/lah today
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 08-10-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Younger teenager needed to talk last night, so I sat part this morning. Lovely to see Jakuden and Shingen leading ceremony, and much metta to Jundo.

Gassho
    Kim
    St

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

This was wonderful. I was able to sit with the video a little bit ago. Thank you for the time and effort.

I would like to sit 2-way but I don't have an area to sit that is ideal yet. Hopefully I can carve out a space soon.

Gassho
    krissy
    sat today

When I'm in the shed, what you see is what you get. When I am in the dining room where the desktop computer is, I put a shoji screen behind me to simplify the image a bit. Some folks just hang a sheet across the room. Some just go with whatever mess is on hand. Outdoors would work, too. Maybe not on the sidewalk in a busy street -- but if it's what there is, I betcha we can handle it.

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today

I was able to sit this zazenkai this afternoon. Thanks to all. Get well soon, Jundo.

Gassho
    STLah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Doyū View Post
    When I'm in the shed, what you see is what you get. When I am in the dining room where the desktop computer is, I put a shoji screen behind me to simplify the image a bit. Some folks just hang a sheet across the room. Some just go with whatever mess is on hand. Outdoors would work, too. Maybe not on the sidewalk in a busy street -- but if it's what there is, I betcha we can handle it.

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Is it okay if there is someone in the background? My current space is shared with someone else. I am working on getting a sheet or a shoji screen, so until then, that is what is worrying me mostly. I do not wish to be rude or disrupt with something/someone moving behind me.

Thank you for your words. I will try to join for 2-way soon.

Also, I hope you get well soon, Jundo.

Gassho
    Krissy
    Sat today
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post
    Is it okay if there is someone in the background? My current space is shared with someone else. I am working on getting a sheet or a shoji screen, so until then, that is what is worrying me mostly. I do not wish to be rude or disrupt with something/someone moving behind me.
    Hello Krissy,

Yes of course please come and sit wuth us. It is ok if others are walking about or doing other things. This is why we kute our mics as well, because life does carry on while we sit ... so all is good if that is what's happening there. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post

Thank you for your words. I will try to join for 2-way soon.

Also, I hope you get well soon, Jundo.

Gassho
    Krissy
    Sat today
    We sit with "what is" ... and theoretically can sit in a disco with flashing lights, in the middle of Times Square or on a battlefield. In fact, the real stillness is within.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nners-%2821%29

However, when we come to formal Zazenkai, we do seek to reduce the surrounding stimulation as we can. It is never perfect (Nishijima Roshi's Zazenkai near Tokyo used to be next to a child's playground on a Saturday morning, and we just sat with that). However, we usually seek to wear darkish close, face the fall, have a reasonably quiet place.

So, if the person or seen in the background is not too active, too distracting, I think it fine. Even if the person is very noisy and distracting, well, let us remember that the real "quiet space" is between our ears and behind our eyes.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I usually keep mine muted because of kids (teenagers, university students) in and out, loud adults, a yappy chihuahua, and dueling cats. Oh, and things randomly falling off shelves - family life. I'm used to the noise but it sometimes blares on mic. And I often sit with the recording now because my family is generally home at night.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you everyone. Thank you Shingen, Jakuden, and Sekishi for being our guides. I sat with you this morning. The new Zoom format seems to be working out well and I am thankful that the YouTube recording is still available too as I sit time shifted.

I hope you are feeling better Jundo. Metta to you and all who are sick.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Nenka

ST

Thank you everyone
    The quality of the recording is pretty good!
    Shingen, I noticed the Bodhi's participation behind you

Gassho,
    Washin
    sat today
    Last edited by Washin; 08-12-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We sit with "what is" ... and theoretically can sit in a disco with flashing lights, in the middle of Times Square or on a battlefield. In fact, the real stillness is within.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nners-%2821%29

However, when we come to formal Zazenkai, we do seek to reduce the surrounding stimulation as we can. It is never perfect (Nishijima Roshi's Zazenkai near Tokyo used to be next to a child's playground on a Saturday morning, and we just sat with that). However, we usually seek to wear darkish close, face the fall, have a reasonably quiet place.

So, if the person or seen in the background is not too active, too distracting, I think it fine. Even if the person is very noisy and distracting, well, let us remember that the real "quiet space" is between our ears and behind our eyes.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you, Jundo, and thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

I'm testing out how dark sheets look as a backdrop for the Zoom/Hangouts and my camera. Being muted will help as well. The webcam that I inherited has a really wide capture screen. It was from an online university that used them to observe students taking exams, so I don't know if it can be adjusted to 'view' less of the room. I think that is why I find myself anxious about it.

I'll try to become more comfortable with 2-way by the time Ango starts. I do wish to fully participate if I can.

Thank you.

Gassho
    krissy
    sat/lah today
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Thank you everyone who made this possible, I (and at one point my cat) sat with you all.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Shingen, Jakuden and Sekishi.
    Hope you are feeling better Jundo, much metta.
    Thank you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, Shingen and everyone else for holding another wonderful Zazenkai. I sat the final portion of it just now, tonight. Jundo, I hope you are feeling better now and if not I am wishing you a speedy recovery.

Kim, I sit when my family is home too (I'm hardly ever alone lol..). I usually sit, with a dim light on, as soon as they are in bed but since zazenkai is longer than my normal nightly sit it falls into family awake time so there is a not-too-distant television going, along with the soundtrack of two chidren. When I start doing two-way live at some point in the near future I may need to carefully mute or make some arrangements as well.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH

Thank you everyone and especially you Jakuden for your beautiful voice, ringing out pure as bell.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sat today lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you all. Great job!

Gassho
    Kokuu