Thread: Short Podcast on creativity

Short Podcast on creativity

Hi all

I am just listening to this short interview (15 mins) with writer Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love; The Signature of All Things) about creativity.

She seems to talk about things in a way that chimes with how John Daido Loori expresses it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007j4h

One thing I like is she talks about how many people want to wait for their vitality before they create. Rather, she says, your vitality returns as part of the creative process.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

ART saves lives.

Bowing

Anne

~lahst~

Gassho2

Kim
    St. Lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thanks for this, Kokuu!

I've noticed as women are taken more seriously as artists that the conversation around creativity has changed. Old ideas about tortured artists struggling to create in just the right conditions or with just the perfect pen in a quiet place or whatever have really fallen by the wayside. I keep hearing women saying, yeah, we don't have time for that. We get our creative work done when the baby's down for a nap or half an hour before everybody gets up. The more egalitarian idea that anyone can create art is a pretty welcome change too--or as Gilbert points out, a return to a less egocentric view of the artist as some unfathomable genius.

There's also a longer version of this interview that delves into grief, for anyone who is interested. It's pretty good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001ypy

Gassho

Nenka

ST

That's a really good point, Nenka. The conversation around creativity has changed a lot and it is not seen to be the preserve of tortured geniuses (genii?) but something available to everyone regardless of age, class, income or how much free time you have.

Blogs, art spaces like Deviant Art and You Tube have also been great for equalising the opportunity for people to get their work seen or heard without being filtered by publishers, record company executives or art galleries.

Thank you for the longer interview. I look forward to listening.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

At the same time, I feel like it's become impossible to tell who is "important" anymore. I get a steady feed of contemporary art on Instagram, but I never remember any names. I have no idea who's going to end up in the art history classes and literature surveys. Can't tell if that's a good thing or not.

Gassho

Nenka

ST

This is true, Nenka. Although it is great that everyone gets the opportunity to be seen, there is also a place for curated content in which knowledgeable folk in a field suggest what is particularly of merit.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-