Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: #ElPasoChallenge - 22 acts of Kindness

  1. #1

    #ElPasoChallenge - 22 acts of Kindness

    Hey everyone,

    I'll be honest listening to the news for the past week has been pretty awful in the US. Three mass shooting in just over a week, so so sad.

    But then this morning I heard a story about the #ElPasoChallenge.

    https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/l...lling-64799799

    When Ruben and his mom, Rose Gandarilla, got to their home and learned about the mass shooting at the Walmart that killed at least 22 people, Ruben became “very anxious,” according to Gandarilla.

    “He asked if we could get a delivery service to deliver all of our groceries and everything we needed so we wouldn’t have to leave home,” she said. “We stayed inside most of the weekend.”

    The day after the shooting, when Ruben began to ask his mom even more questions about why the shooting happened and what he could do to help, Gandarilla challenged her son to think of an idea that would “show the kindness of El Paso.”

    Nearly 30 minutes later, Ruben, an incoming sixth grader, emerged with a notebook full of ideas. At the top of the notebook he had written out a hashtag, #ElPasoChallenge.
    I absolutely love that his mother had the insight use this horrible time to teach about compassion.

    Will you take up the #ElPasoChallenge?

    Gassho,

    Shoka
    sat/LAH
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

    Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

  2. #2
    Absolutely! Count me in. Thanks very much for posting this, Shoka!

    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

  3. #3
    Thanks for posting this Shoka. I am in.

    Gassho, Shinshi

    SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

  4. #4
    Member Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Rural Queensland, Australia
    Thanks for posting this Shoka.
    Ruben and the fact that most people from El Paso wanted Trump to stay away are proof enough that El Paso and it's community are already warm and generous of spirit.
    I remember when that Australian fascist killed 51 Muslim innocents recently in Christchurch, Aotearoa I didn't perform 51 acts of kindness. What I did, and like Ruben felt compelled to do was to phone the people I care about and/or call my family telling them that I love them and reminding them that my partner and I are there for them whenever and for whatever they may need. Given the merry band of complex misfits who make up my chosen family their responses were varied to say the least haha but it felt like something I had to do.
    Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    Gassho, Anna
    Sat today
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously. Laugh at yourself and try to find the space to laugh at life's challenges. Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.

  5. #5
    Treeleaf Unsui Geika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    Lovely. Thank you for sharing this..

    Gassho

    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

  6. #6
    Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you Shoka. Count me in!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    What I did, and like Ruben felt compelled to do was to phone the people I care about and/or call my family telling them that I love them and reminding them that my partner and I are there for them whenever and for whatever they may need. Given the merry band of complex misfits who make up my chosen family their responses were varied to say the least haha but it felt like something I had to do.
    Be kind to yourself and look out for each other.
    I think this is such a wonderful point Anna. We hear about events in the world that move our hearts to reach out a helping hand, but sometimes (oftentimes) its difficult to know exactly what to do. I know sometimes it leaves me feeling paralyzed. In the absolute sense, when we act for the good of one we act for the good of all. But even in the relative sense, when we feel moved to help, we should feed those seeds of kindness and compassion however we can.

    When a tragedy happens, if we can directly help those impacted, let us please take the opportunity. If we cannot reach them, help another who suffers instead.

    Deep bows to all,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    sekishi
    石志

    As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

  7. #7
    Wonderful.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  8. #8
    Beautiful.

    This tragedy has weighed more on me that usual....how sad that I can use the word “usual” because these events are with us contantly. My emotions arise strongly every day. Maybe because I live so close and it is so personal. It is a place I have been a hundred times. I have friends there. My close friends have family there and in the city just across the border. I feel sorrow. I feel much anger. I apply all the Zen I have practiced these past many decades. But I am just an imperfect human and this crap hurts.

    Doshin
    St

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Beautiful.

    This tragedy has weighed more on me that usual....how sad that I can use the word “usual” because these events are with us contantly. My emotions arise strongly every day. Maybe because I live so close and it is so personal. It is a place I have been a hundred times. I have friends there. My close friends have family there and in the city just across the border. I feel sorrow. I feel much anger. I apply all the Zen I have practiced these past many decades. But I am just an imperfect human and this crap hurts.

    Doshin
    St
    Doshin,

    Thank you for sharing this. I don't think emotions are something that practice helps to eliminate, instead it helps with how to deal with them. As you did so well, you recognized exactly what they were and why they were rising now.

    In the best world, sorrow and anger would move everyone to be compassionate. To take action that will transform how people react to emotions, so that tragedies like this become a thing of the past that we don't see as "usual" or "just another".

    Thank you again for sharing, it is a good reminder that we are all so very close to what happened. It isn't something far off that only happens over there.

    Gassho,

    Shoka
    st/lah
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

    Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    Doshin,

    Thank you for sharing this. I don't think emotions are something that practice helps to eliminate, instead it helps with how to deal with them. As you did so well, you recognized exactly what they were and why they were rising now.

    In the best world, sorrow and anger would move everyone to be compassionate. To take action that will transform how people react to emotions, so that tragedies like this become a thing of the past that we don't see as "usual" or "just another".

    Thank you again for sharing, it is a good reminder that we are all so very close to what happened. It isn't something far off that only happens over there.

    Gassho,

    Shoka
    st/lah

    Thank you Shoka



    Doshin
    st

  11. #11
    As terrible as these tragedies are, we must not lose sight of the fact that ...

    ... for every act of violence each day, there are countless human acts free of violence. For every person who walks into a school or store and is harmed (let us never make light of the tragedy of even one person being harmed), there are billions and billions around the world who walk into a store or school, do their task and return home. For every act of violence, anger and racism ... there are countless little deeds in peace, ease and acceptance of others.

    The media is right to highlight the ugliness of these events. The media can also cause us to lose perspective on the wider world. For every plane that crashes, for every shark attack, for every volcano ... countless people make it home, go to the beach, live next to a mountain that never erupts. Let us not forget that too. The world is not quite hopeless (not even the Buddha thought so, and the Zen masters of old certainly did not).

    Do not let the "terrorists" win by being terrorized! Do not let the "haters" win by feeling your own hate and anger in response. Turn the other cheek, even as we take the steps in society needed to reduce hate, violence and division.

    For every act of violence and hate, let us do 22 and 220 and 2200 acts of peace and love.

    Very simple.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    As terrible as these tragedies are, we must not lose sight of the fact that ...

    ... for every act of violence each day, there are countless human acts free of violence. For every person who walks into a school or store and is harmed (let us never make light of the tragedy of even one person being harmed), there are billions and billions around the world who walk into a store or school, do their task and return home. For every act of violence, anger and racism ... there are countless little deeds in peace, ease and acceptance of others.

    The media is right to highlight the ugliness of these events. The media can also cause us to lose perspective on the wider world. For every plane that crashes, for every shark attack, for every volcano ... countless people make it home, go to the beach, live next to a mountain that never erupts. Let us not forget that too. The world is not quite hopeless (not even the Buddha thought so, and the Zen masters of old certainly did not).

    Do not let the "terrorists" win by being terrorized! Do not let the "haters" win by feeling your own hate and anger in response. Turn the other cheek, even as we take the steps in society needed to reduce hate, violence and division.

    For every act of violence and hate, let us do 22 and 220 and 2200 acts of peace and love.

    Very simple.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    Thank you Jundo. This is a wonderful message. As I type this I am sitting on my porch watching people walk, bicycle, jog, or drive by. Nothing special. Nothing news worthy. Just living peacefully.


    Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •