Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a little reminder: Shikantaza Zazen is --not-- "Meditating"

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    One needs whatever "intent" is required just to sit upright without falling off the cushion ...

Does a rock or a mountain need "intent" to sit as a rock or a mountain? ...

Just Sit.
    Thanks Jundo.

PS glad I wasn't sipping a beverage when I read the part about falling off the cushion

Gassho
    Kevin
    S@2Day

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Does a rock or a mountain need "intent" to sit as a rock or a mountain?
    This was a useful metaphor for me. My Zazen today felt much more ... right, somehow. I had been using more active metaphors such as driving and keeping my eye on the road, non method non acting etc. But it helped to just think of myself as a collection of rocks that had been carefully arranged into a stable pile and was just sitting there inert and being pulled gently into the earth by gravity.

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat — though I prefer to put it as “I ‘rocked’ today”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    This was a useful metaphor for me. My Zazen today felt much more ... right, somehow. I had been using more active metaphors such as driving and keeping my eye on the road, non method non acting etc. But it helped to just think of myself as a collection of rocks that had been carefully arranged into a stable pile and was just sitting there inert and being pulled gently into the earth by gravity.

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat — though I prefer to put it as “I ‘rocked’ today”

Yes, a great metaphor and beautiful teaching by jundo.
    But be careful and don't make any metaphor a concept you cling to, do not treasure it within mind as an orientation or a instruction for shikantaza.
    In my own experiences it happens easily to have a great metaphor that works to maintain some kind of state that feels right, but sooner or later there comes a point where you start to compare experiences, states... When the feeling of right zazen is lacking somehow, when you expect to sit as the mountain but it doesn't feel anymore "rocky" and you start chasing satisfaction or peace or any other state of mind than you discriminate, judge, like or dislike and leave the just sitting... So we need to let go of mountains, rocks, sitting, driving cars. Everything is here and now, perfectly and we don't need to reach a goal, we don't need to change or manipulate our experience, we just have to be open for whatever comes and goes within our perception, like the mirror that reflects without grasping and judging (attention, another metaphor :-) )

At least that's my two cents,

Gassho,
    Ben

Stlah

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

I have one week old orthopedics in both shoes, heel lift in left shoe, inner souls in both shoes, and because both knees are fixed, finally I stand upright; at first, with pain. Now I have relief and stand upright. What does this have to do with Shikantaza? Well, though my left side is supported just a little, and I sit on an inverted wedge cushion, my feet are flat on the floor with no pain. I am for the most part sitting (with tons of exercise behind me, and which will go on the rest of my life) in proper chair form without moving (much), I find just sitting without pain easier for just sitting. I leave here to just go sit.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by hishiryo View Post
    But be careful and don't make any metaphor a concept you cling to ...
    Yes that’s always the danger with these metaphors and agree they have to be set aside or next I’ll be saying “then after about 2-3 seconds I think ‘I’m a rock!’ and then crash” haha

Gassho
    Kevin
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by hishiryo View Post
    But be careful and don't make any metaphor a concept you cling to, do not treasure it within mind as an orientation or a instruction for shikantaza.
    In my own experiences it happens easily to have a great metaphor that works to maintain some kind of state that feels right, but sooner or later there comes a point where you start to compare experiences, states... When the feeling of right zazen is lacking somehow, when you expect to sit as the mountain but it doesn't feel anymore "rocky" and you start chasing satisfaction or peace or any other state of mind than you discriminate, judge, like or dislike and leave the just sitting... So we need to let go of mountains, rocks, sitting, driving cars. Everything is here and now, perfectly and we don't need to reach a goal, we don't need to change or manipulate our experience, we just have to be open for whatever comes and goes within our perception, like the mirror that reflects without grasping and judging (attention, another metaphor :-) )

At least that's my two cents,

Gassho,
    Ben
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

No matter what shoes I have, or cushion I sit on, or foot position, ad infinitum, pain will always 'dog my steps,' and if I don't learn to just leave it alone, I will impede more than my share of time allowed without focus. Sometimes it makes me sad I have this "load of pain," then I am reminded, no I really try to 'put myself' into the place of blindness (my wife is nearly blind without contacts), or hearing impaired, or people who cannot talk, or sit, or walk; then I am brought to tears, or for me the worst, people who cannot let their alcoholism go. The last frightens me because it can bring on death. I know that is why my Higher Power is who He is. But this person cannot be 'put on others,' and many even find a way without a Person as higher power. And, pain is such a dubious load to focus as possible with Shikantaza, or I vow to just sit. Yes, this sitting, or reclining, or walking, or lying down, this I will do, am doing.

Tai Shi
    Gassho
    sat _/|\_
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Jundo - many thanks for a great and deep teaching as usual!!!

@TaiShi, my wife and I went to a world-acclaimed restaurant. Before we could be seated we heard the people before us ask "where should we sit?"
    We sniggered, muttered "on your arse" and thought nothing of it.

Later the owner thanked us for saying what he wished to say.

One eye left,
    one eye right -
    nothing else has ever
    been set
    just so.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12