Thread: SPECIAL SUNDAY Aug 4-5th - Our MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI (No Zazenkai Fri-Sat)

SPECIAL SUNDAY Aug 4-5th - Our MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI (No Zazenkai Fri-Sat)

THIS MONTHLY ZAZENKAI is SUNDAY NIGHT in North America (Monday morning Europe and Asia) -- Check times below. There is no Zazenkai on Friday/Saturday this time, and other Sunday Treeleaf activities may be rescheduled.

Today's Talk will be on Koans of the Book of Serenity (See Below in this Thread)

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time MONDAY morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (SUNDAY night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early MONDAY morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible on the below screen during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at YOUTUBE HANGOUT IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE POSTED IN THE COMING DAYS

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD ABOUT 15 MINUTES BEFORE START TIME. JUST CLICK AND JOIN. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in Japanese and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Identity of Relative & Absolute, Metta Verses, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

[CENTER]Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home

https://imusic.am/al/GrmnUJij
    Last edited by Mp; 08-05-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Talk today will be on a few Cases of the Book of Serenity that we recently danced in our "No Words" Book Club ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...EAF-ART-CIRCLE

Case 81 - Gensha Comes to the Province

Attention! Master Gensha arrived at Hoden Province and was received with many kinds of entertainment.
    The next day he asked Venerable Shoto, "Where did all of yesterday's festivities go?"
    Shoto replied by lifting a corner of his robe.
    Gensha remarked, "There's no relation between them at all."

APPRECIATORY VERSE
    Hiding the boat in the darkened valley.
    Thrusting the pole into the clear source.
    Dragons and fish don't know yet that water makes their lives.

Master Dogen wrote in the Genjo Koan "Firewood becomes ash; it can never go back to being firewood. Nevertheless, we should not take the view that ash is its future and firewood is its past. We should recognize that firewood occupies its place in the Universe as firewood, and it has its past moment and its future moment. ... Ash exists in its place in the Universe as ash, and it has its past moment and its future moment."

and

"When fish swim in water, though they keep swimming, there is no end to the water. When birds fly in the sky, though they keep flying, there is no end to the sky."

CASE 82: UMMON’S SOUNDS AND SHAPES

PREFACE TO THE ASSEMBLY
    When sounds and colors are not let go,
    This state is known as “being conditioned by the environment.”
    If you are seeking by sound and seeing by shape,
    You will never experience the Buddha of this very moment.
    Aren't you pursuing a way to return home?

MAIN CASE
    Attention! Master Ummon addressed the assembly, saying,
    "Hearing a sound, realize the Way.
    Seeing a shape, enlighten the mind.
    The Goddess of Compassionate Wisdom bought a common farm rice-cake.
    But, released from her hands, it transforms into a sumptuous bean-jam cake."

Master Dogen wrote in the Genjo Koan "To carry the self forward and illuminate myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and illuminate the self is awakening. "

CASE 83: DOGO'S NURSlNG

Attention! Isan asked Dogo, "Where have you been?"
    Dogo said, "I've been nursing."
    Isan said, "How many people were sick?"
    Dogo replied, "Some are sick, some are not."
    Isan pursued, "Isn't it you who's not sick?"
    Dogo responded, "Sickness and non-sickness have nothing at all to do with it. Speak quickly! Speak quickly!"
    Isan remarked, "Even being able to say it misses entirely."

APPRECIATORY VERSE

... Seeming to exist, he's not anything.
    Being utterly empty, he's not something.
    Un-extinguished, he's born; un-destroyed, he lives eternally.
    He even goes utterly before the ancient Buddhas and walks alone among the empty kalpas.
    Being quiet-heaven covers, earth supports.

Master Dogen wrote in Genjo Koan "there is life and death ... there is no life and no death ... there is life and death ... Though all this may be true, flowers fall even if we love them, and weeds grow even if we hate them, and that is all."

CASE 84: GUTEI'S ONE FINGER

Attention! Great Zen Master Gutei, whenever he was questioned, simply raised one finger.

Master Dogen wrote in the Genjo Koan "in the practice-enlightenment of the buddha way, to attain one thing is to penetrate one thing; to meet one practice is to sustain one practice."

CASE 85: THE NATIONAL TEACHER'S SEAMLESS TOMB

Attention! Emperor Shikuso asked National Teacher Chu, "One hundred years after you die, what would you wish?"
    The National Teacher said, "Build me a seamless tomb."
    The Emperor replied, "I beg you, what style of tomb would that be?"
    The National Teacher remained silent for a while, and then asked, "Do you understand?"
    The Emperor said, "I don't understand."
    The National Teacher said, "I have a Dharma disciple by the name of Tangen, who knows all about it."
    Later on, the Emperor requested the meaning of it from Tangen, who replied:
    “From the southern border to the northern border,
    Yellow gold within fills the whole country.
    A ferry boat under the shadowless tree.
    In the crystal palace, there is no one who knows.”

APPRECIATORY VERSE
    Alone boundlessly, boundlessly.
    Whole perfectly, perfectly.
    ... The Eight Principles correctly positioned,
    The five elements' energy harmonized.
    The body from the first is within.
    Do you see?

Master Dogen wrote in the Genjo Koan "Because the nature of air is to be ever-present, the behavior of Buddhists makes the Earth manifest itself as gold."
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-31-2019 at 11:48 PM.

I will be there one way for part of the Zazenkai.

As always, much gratitude for providing us a place to be.

Doshin
    St

As most of you know, we perform the "Hokey Pokey" midway during our Zazenkai. "Hokey Pokey" (a Sanskrit term, "Hokey Cokey" in Pali) is an ancient esoteric Buddhist ritual that we undertake during our Zazen sittings to shake the kinks out (and not take things too overly seriousely). This month's is the version chanted by the famous Little Lama Richard, seen here being performed by a Tibetan Shaman in deep trance. I hope that those joining our Zazen sitting will be prepared to "Hokey Pokey" along with us.

Gassho, J

STLah

Hi Jundo,

I'll try to be there 2 ways. Thank you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there live two way. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Planning to be present. Gratitude. _()_ _()_ _()_

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Looking forward to sitting and dancing this one way with all of you!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be time shifting - see you all soon!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you Jundo, I expect to be there two-way if possible

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jundo.

I will sit on one way or two way.

In Japan Monday morning,so I start working at 9AM.

Gassho
    Sat today LAH
    Kakunen

I will also be there one-way. Thank you!

Gassho.
    Krissy
    sat/lah today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-04-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    My life is my temple and my practice.

ATTENTION: YOUTUBE HANGOUTS IS NO MORE!

However, FEAR NOT ... we have been preparing a new system on ZOOM for our netcasts and will be ready to go!

Information coming! Keep your eyes here!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you Jundo,
    I'll be there live one-way for most of todays Zazenkai.

_()_
    sosen
    stlah

UPDATE on our UPDATE ...

I have just heard from our technical team (thank you Shokai, Shinshi, Sekishi and Shingen!) and we are ready to go today ... and can now fit UP TO 100 people in our two-way Zendo AT ONCE! (Plus all the one-way folks too). WOW!

We tested the system last night ... works and sounds great, I think.

We will have a screen posted above, and links to join posted in this thread, about 20 minutes before start time.

ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you, Jundo (and Shokai, Shinshi, Sekishi, and Shingen!)

I was planning to sit one way, but we just discovered that one of our family cars was stolen so I will have to sit with the video later when I can, (although i do need to sit for a little now to calm down)

i wish you all wonderful things!

Gassho
    krissy
    st/lah

Mp
    Hey folks,

Ok, here is the two link for the zazenkai: https://zoom.us/j/8166671365

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Guests:

Mama, buck, two spotted little ones.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Guests:

Mama, buck, two spotted little ones.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Are they part of the Facebook group?

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Here live one-way. Looking forward to experiencing the new system.

Gassho,
    Wuyi
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you, Jundo and the technical team. I got the dialogue box, but the program hung in "Launching..." I will try one-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Thank you, Jundo and the technical team. I got the dialogue box, but the program hung in "Launching..." I will try one-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    It might take a minute to download the software once you click on the link- it is a one time download.

The youtube seems to be working fine.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

Here is the youtube link for one way. Same as above.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

I have audio without video on YouTube. Not sure if that's me, maybe.

Edit - it resolved.

I need to do one-way, kids and pets, noisy home as usual.

Gassho

Kim
    St lh

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    I have audio without video on YouTube. Not sure if that's me, maybe.

Edit - it resolved.

I need to do one-way, kids and pets, noisy home as usual.

Gassho

Kim
    St lh

Kim,

You're welcome to do two-way, the audience is muted so noisy background doessnt matter.

Gassho,

Shoka
    st

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Joined via my phone while traveling. Even figured out zoom after a while. Hope my coming and going as I sorted it out on my phone was not a distraction.

Thank you

Doshin
    St

Mp
    Well folks, that was awesome and a great success. Thank you to my fellow priests and to you all for being here. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Thank you all who sat or will sit, Jundo for the talk, Sekishi for the stellar 4 hour Ino performance. Have a great week. see you on Zoom!

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you everyone.
    It was a nice Zazenkai even if I sat only part of it.
    Zoom is awesome!

Gassho,
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Deep bows, thank you to everyone who made it all happen!
    That was an awesome Hokey Pokey

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you, Jundo and Shinshi, Shingen, Sekishi, Shokai, and everyone who participated. I joined one-way, and the reception was very clear. Have a great week!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    Last edited by Onkai; 08-05-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together to practice.

Deep gratitude to you all.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #zooom!

Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I find Zoom preferable and it worked well for the nine-year-old laptop camera; thank you everyone and especially for the very heartfelt metta chant. _()_

I found the gallery option useful; It might help Jundo see the rest of us better, though I suppose it would have to be on a separate screen from the one doing Youtube? And: hoping we'll move Treeleaf Now to Zoom? It seems to run fine on older phones and tablets, and for some that would be a feature.

gassho
    doyu sat lah today and did the hokey pokey
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 08-05-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: about the gallery
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you to everyone who sat and will sit.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sattoday

Hi all,

Sat with you one way last night, but only for the second half. Will sit the full zazenkai tomorrow.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    Kim,

You're welcome to do two-way, the audience is muted so noisy background doessnt matter.

Gassho,

Shoka
    st

Thank you, Shoka. Maybe I'll try that next time. Didn't see your response until late, but was too tired to answer then.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Thank you everyone!
    The video and sound quality seems to have improved...

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Agree with Kotei, crystal clear and great audio. Guess this will also impact Now at some stage in the future but we still seem to be ticking along in the FSR for now. Thanks peeps.

Sat / Lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Wonderful! Thank you!

And many thanks for the Zoom team for getting it all up and running in time.

Gassho
    Kokuu

I was finally able to sit this today. It was challenging for me.

Thank you so much everyone!

Gassho
    Krissy
    Sat today
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Hi All,
    Summer hols being now officially over and kids back at school I was finally able to sit with you all today-good times!
    Jundo, I hope the roly-poly bug made it. Could you maybe perhaps say what kind of birds were chirping away in the background from time to time? They were joined here on a grey and windy morning by a chorus of crows, pigeons, a robin, a red kite and also some choppers from the base. Yup, we have one of those too...
    Thanks to all,
    Gassho
    mark
    I sat today...

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Hi All,
    Summer hols being now officially over and kids back at school I was finally able to sit with you all today-good times!
    Jundo, I hope the roly-poly bug made it. Could you maybe perhaps say what kind of birds were chirping away in the background from time to time? They were joined here on a grey and windy morning by a chorus of crows, pigeons, a robin, a red kite and also some choppers from the base. Yup, we have one of those too...
    Thanks to all,
    Gassho
    mark
    I sat today...
    Oh, l should be more of a birder than l am. Your trained ear might spot those bird calls. The following are found in our area, Can you identify any of the call?

and

Gassho, J

STLah

sparrows in falling snow,
    warm yourselves
    on my melting heart

Gassho,
    m
    ST/LAH

Beautiful haiku Mark. Thank you Jundo, it's nice to put "faces" to the sounds outside the Zendo during Zazenkai! I can remember how thrilled I was the first time I joined, hearing the sounds of birdsong on the other side of the world, singing "tomorrow morning."

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH