Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 13 and 14

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Simple Living" - Chapters 13 and 14

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 13 - Seek Out Your Favorite Words - Find a nice Zen saying which resonates with you, write it down neatly and slowly by hand. Hang it, or even find a frame. If you cannot think of one, Rev. Masuno's "Within nothingness there is infinite potential" is lovely.

Chapter 14 - Pare Down Your Belongings - This week, when you are shopping and your hand is reaching out for some thing you really want rather strongly (just want, don't really need) ... ask if you really need it. If not, consider to pull your hand back and just walk on. The more you felt strongly that you wanted the thing, the better. Let the feeling of desire go from mind, and feel satisfied without. (You see, this book is saving you money already! )

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:44 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

ah I just found this practice circle - definitely jumping in! I have the book on on hold from the library; I'll prob end up buying it, but (per ch. 14) I may have an issue with buying books. hahaha

One of my favorite sayings is fall down 9 times get up 10. I think it describes life; I feel like it is just such a helpful attitude. just rolling with the punches; no matter what; absolutely no matter what. I'm getting back up

On a related note- one of my favorite shirts is "Never EVER Give Up". I just love this approach; resilient, relentless, going into the pain (of what I don't want) and facing it all with composure.

Gassho

Risho

Given my family’s love of the Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy the phrase “Don’t Panic!” should definitely be up somewhere (it is the wall paper on my mobile devices). More Buddhist phrase that really stays with me is the Three Pure Precepts (my wording)
    Don’t do bad things.
    Try to do only good things.
    Do good things for the benefit of others.
    I think of this as the Coles Notes (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coles_Notes) version of the full set of Precepts.

As for Chapter 14... We will soon be embarking on a touristy vacation so the temptation is always to bring back some knickknacks. While away I’ll carefully consider my purchases.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Chapter 14: Sort of conflicted in my practice lately, was walking in the garden where I have a small bamboo patch and felt it really needed a garden, Buddha. Went shopping online. (Really don't have stores with Buddha out in West Texas!). Then read chapter 14. Had to ask myself if I really needed it for my practice or simply because it would be a nice thing. At this time it is really the latter. Once the family visits are over and I am back to my normal practice, perhaps then it would be the time to rethink it.

SAT TODAY
    Shozan

My book came in the mail yesterday!

Chapter 13: On days when Idon'twannagotowork, I turn to the page in my day planner where I have Master Baizhang's "A day without work is a day without food" and the following gatha:

It is through this work that I sustain myself, my family, and all living beings
    It is through this work that I convey the Bodhisattva Vows
    I dedicate today's work to all those who have taught me
    and all those who I may teach in turn
    With great admiration and gratitude
    All Buddhas throughout space and time
    Chapter 14: Honestly, I've been doing this so long, it's become hard for me to spend money when I actually need something. But I'm just starting to apply it to grocery shopping, especially where junk food is concerned. It's better to figure out what to make with some of the healthier things I've already bought anyway.

Gassho

Jen

ST

Doshin
    St

Chapter 13: "Because this exists, that exists, because this arises, that arises." I also wanted to add something Jundo once said about cats, dying, and impermanence, and how we as humans can learn from cats in this context. I couldn't find the original phrase so I'm sorry to have put it so bluntly.

Chapter 14: I've been doing this for years and it should be written in the clouds and broadcast every five minutes on every TV channel in the world in order to limit the damage done to our planet.

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah

13 -- recently wrote this on paper and hung it in the woods: "I respectfully urge you who study the mystery, do not pass your days and nights in vain." Wrote this on our farm bell, which doubles as our bonsho -- it's a heavy piece of iron pipe: "Wide Awake."

IMG_0574.jpg

For this exercise, I wrote on a small piece of paper, longer than wide, and hung it from a wind chime bell at the hut: "Anatta = not a special person."

14 -- not a shopper, so I tried an alternative: reached out for dessert and then pulled my hand back.

gassho
    doyu sat and lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hello,

on #13, for now, I am with:
    "All the time I pray to Buddha
    I keep on killing mosquitoes."

from Kobayashi Issa.

for #14 I decided on not buying the new flute. What I have is enough.

Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

For # 13 I have a nice calligraphy hanging on the wall with Kanji for Gaman (我慢) which
    stands for "enduring the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity". This was a gift
    from a Japanese calligrapher presently living and working in Spain. I enjoy looking
    at it daily.. It kind of helps me going through though not always so
    I also think of creating something of my own.

For # 14 I have recently revisited some of my internet carts for buyings. After one more thinking
    I have concluded that I might go on without most of the things (except books) and removed them.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Last edited by Washin; 08-06-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: some additions
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.