Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 11 and 12

"Simple Living" - Chapters 11 and 12

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 11 - When Eating, Pause After Every Bite - When eating at least one meal this week, pause after each bite and savor a sense of gratitude in your heart.

Chapter 12 - Discover The Benefits Of A Vegetable-centric Diet - If not a vegetarian, take one day (or if too difficult, one meal) and eat a totally vegetable diet. If a vegetarian ... just keep on.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

Chapter 11 - When eating at least one meal this week, pause after each bite and savor a sense of gratitude in your heart.

Chapter 12 - If not a vegetarian, take one day (or if too difficult, one meal) and eat a totally vegetable diet. If a vegetarian ... just keep on.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Will do. I am already trying to choose vegetarian options when eating out.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Chapter 11 continues the theme of chapter 10. The five steps he listed pretty much repeats the Meal Gatha. I really should try Oryoki sometime. Meanwhile I’ll find a meal this week to eat as suggested.

Chapter 12 we’ve been on a meat reduced diet for over 10 years where we really only have a couple meals each week that are meat based. So I guess I’ll keep on

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Tried practice number 11 today, but I kept forgetting to be grateful after each bite. I didn't set up a good distraction free environment to eat my meal. Maybe in a day or two I will try again, without any distractions nearby.

Gassho,

Nanrin
    Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Thank you, Jundo.
    Have been practicing as per #11 for a time and
    I'm about to implement the chapter 12 as well

Gassho
    Washin
    just sat
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Hello all,
    I will be practicing #11 today. Thinking about an Oryoki practice day per week. Hmmm. At least during Ango :-).
    Already eating vegan several days a week.

Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Doshin
    St

#11 I will cincerely concentrate to savor gratitude in my heart after each bite for at least one meal (probably lesser challenge with food I realy love )
    #12 As a vegetarian/vegan I must admit that it is a shock to me (and unthinkable) that a person would not be able to go without meat for even a single day with all the alternatives that are available today.... so I wiil take the oportunity to practice loving kindness towards those who have a problem with that.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

I have a terrible habit of distracted eating, I always practice during Ango and then lose focus not too long after Ango is over. At work I eat while working, and I also eat too often in my car on the way somewhere. I did take my time with dinner today as suggested, and it was difficult because I was so hungry :-) But every mouthful was heaven with so many flavors and textures and the joy of how the ingredients came to me from all over, and were prepared into a 3-day-meal earlier this week. So silly how even if we take the time to prepare food, we don't always pay attention to what we are eating.

Vegetarian day isn't too difficult, but vegan is tricky for me since cheese, yogurt and eggs (we have our own chickens) are daily staples. I'd better go put some rice and beans in the cooker right now!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Wow, these are a couple of challenges that will probably have to be put off for a couple of weeks. They do make me appreciate what life was like when we were raising kids, especially in their teen years. Have my teenage grandchildren here, there is no mindful eating or even seriously considering a vegetarian meal. Think of my self more as a short-order cook who tries to grab anything on the way! Will get back to this soon.

SAT TODAY (at least I can find time for that)
    Shozan

I eat vegan pizza with my wife and mother a couple of days ago. For the other task, it’s a challenge I am trying to accomplish (and failing) every meal. Being with other people, one of whom has some special needs, makes the eating more a collective enterprise than a silent mindful practice. But still, there is room for gratitude and mindfulness even in these not so quiet meals.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by lorax View Post
    ... Have my teenage grandchildren here, there is no mindful eating or even seriously considering a vegetarian meal. Think of my self more as a short-order cook who tries to grab anything on the way! Will get back to this soon.
    Hah, I change the assignment for you. When the teenagers are teenaging, and all the other stuff, I want you to yell at the top of your lungs "GRATITUDE!" like Frank Costanza ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo, yes GRATITUDE! Just having the kids here. Mindful eating and vegetation diet will have their time, but for the moment GRATITUDE!

uku1.jpg
    Shozan

12) I chose last night at dinner purposely to be vegetarian. I've been a vegetarian before, a couple of times, but wasn't able to maintain it. I really wanted to, and I may try again someday (third time's a charm?). I chose one of my favorites I ate a lot of before when I was; teriyaki noodles and fried tofu. I made me happy ordering it, and of course it was delicious. I try to eat vegetarian meals often, even if I'm not fully "there" anymore. I try to get the majority of my meat I do buy from the 'last chance' section at the grocery - the stuff that will be thrown out that evening at the end of the shift if no one buys it. Eating this fully vegetarian meal, and the others, reinforces that this IS possible to do, at least more often. Every bit counts.

Gassho /\
    Kendrick
    Sat

I will practice #11 tomorrow. I used to be a vegetarian for about 6 years, but at some point we reintroduced a minimal amount of fish and meat to our diet so I only consume one slice of fish once a week or every two weeks. The reintroduction was because I felt a lack of energy despite taking adequate supplements for vegetarians. Because of my time as a vegetarian, it has become more difficult to accept animal-based proteins and I eat with a much greater sense of awareness than before.

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah
    Last edited by Seibu; 07-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Going to jump right in

I tried Ch. 11 practice for lunch today. It happened to be in a busy In & Out restaurant! I found my lunch more enjoyable with each bite. Also, I feel as though the act of savoring and being present for the meal makes the world around more noticeable along with it.

Either that or it was too noisy!

Gassho
    Krissy
    Sat/Lah today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

B
    Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post
    Going to jump right in

I tried Ch. 11 practice for lunch today. It happened to be in a busy In & Out restaurant! I found my lunch more enjoyable with each bite. Also, I feel as though the act of savoring and being present for the meal makes the world around more noticeable along with it.

Either that or it was too noisy!

Gassho
    Krissy
    Sat/Lah today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for making me laugh this morning Krissydear.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou