Thread: Protesting the immigrant internment campers in the US. A call to Buddhists!

Protesting the immigrant internment campers in the US. A call to Buddhists!

Hi folks,

I came across this article today about reaching out to Buddhists to protests the internment camps being run in the US right now.

For anyone not familiar with whatís happen you should be able to find some information just by googling it. Itís pretty rough stuff so might be a good idea to not read to much at a time. At least thatís what I have to do.

In the article there are a couple of things we do. Donations as well as a paper crane project.

I asked Jundo about it and he suggested I post it here.

If you have a moment please take a look.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/monkey...t-leaders.html

Thank you,

Gassho
    Sattoday/lah

Hoseki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this mportant article, Hoseki. Bringing awareness to the unconscionable horrors that my country is inflicting on these immigrants is important. Bearing witness, even from distant lands is helpful in exposing the shameful treatment these children and the adults are suffering. I will do what I can. Thank you for reminding me that action can come in many forms.

Gassho
    Anne

~st~

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hi folks,

I came across this article today about reaching out to Buddhists to protests the internment camps being run in the US right now.

For anyone not familiar with whatís happen you should be able to find some information just by googling it. Itís pretty rough stuff so might be a good idea to not read to much at a time. At least thatís what I have to do.

In the article there are a couple of things we do. Donations as well as a paper crane project.

I asked Jundo about it and he suggested I post it here.

If you have a moment please take a look.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/monkey...t-leaders.html

Thank you,

Gassho
    Sattoday/lah

Hoseki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    "Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Much metta to all who suffer for government policies.
    It's a real sad history that we in North and South America alike share. We also had our concentration camps for japanese and german descendants in WWII here in Brazil.
    Reading the artile brought a lot of tears to me.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Speaking of this topic (immigration, etc) - family just alerted me to the renewed ICE raids that are scheduled to begin this Sunday again in the US.

This has already affected my community in previous raids. I've been involved previously on other levels but am not able to at this time.

I am supposed to return home sometime this weekend, and am not able to research this latest issue at the moment. If anyone has any ideas on how to engage in this issue according to Buddhist precepts, or any organizations that are involved, I'm very interested to know. I will try to follow up myself after I return home.

Metta to all who have been impacted and may all be liberated from suffering and persecution.

Gassho
    Kim
    Sat today

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    "Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkien)

It hangs darkly over my head a lot of the time.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hoseki, thank you for bringing awareness to the paper crane project

ST

Just want to add if anyone is interested in making paper cranes, the arrival due date is July 17th and can be mailed to:

Duncan Ryuken Williams, c/o Ito Center, 825 Bloom Walk, ACB 130D, Los Angeles, CA 90089-1481

I also know a hotel address in Oklahoma where the paper cranes can be sent with an arrival due date of July 18th. Just PM me

ST
    Last edited by Troy; 07-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.

The kids flock sets flight tomorrow. There may be a couple dragons in there too, lol.

ST

It has been very heartbreaking seeing the video and photos of the detainment facilities - the detained children especially - on the news lately. I can't find the words to express it at the moment. So inhumane, so needlessly aggressive, and for what? It's really shameful, and knowing I am a citizen here I'm feeling that shame as well. These children... this is going to be, for some, their earliest memories that begin the foundation of their lives. Everything that comes after this point for them starts with this. What will they think of the United States when they look back to these times? Of people in general?

Gassho
    Kendrick
    SatTonight

There is an article here in the Chicago Tribune about practical ways we can help the migrant children in the border detention camps. However - I can't actually read it as it's not available to readers in some European countries, so I have no idea how helpful it is. I wonder if someone in the US could check the link and report back, including any links which might be helpful? Thank you so much.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chi...BbHl77m6l2dQas

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    There is an article here in the Chicago Tribune about practical ways we can help the migrant children in the border detention camps. However - I can't actually read it as it's not available to readers in some European countries, so I have no idea how helpful it is. I wonder if someone in the US could check the link and report back, including any links which might be helpful? Thank you so much.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chi...BbHl77m6l2dQas

Gassho
    Meitou
    satwithyoualltodaylah
    Hi Meitou,

I read the article. Thank you for finding it!

I will summarize the article here:

1. Donít send money or supplies directly to the families. It is illegal for the American government to accept private donations. Direct donations will likely be turned away.

2. If you are an American citizen, call your Representative and voice your concern for the treatment of the families. It was said calls are more effective than emails. Find your representative here:

https://www.house.gov/representatives

https://www.senate.gov

202-224-3121

3. Do donate to organizations helping the families. Especially those providing legal representation and those helping reunite separated families. Some suggested by the article are:

RAICES

American Civil Liberties Union

Immigrant Families Together

Kids In Need of Defense

In the most practical terms, it takes money and political will to make things happen.

ST
    Last edited by Troy; 07-14-2019 at 08:20 PM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Hoseki for this post, I will endeavour to make a paper crane as a gesture of support.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart