Thread: Realizing Genjokoan - Foreword and Preface

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Realizing Genjokoan - Foreword and Preface

Dear All,

We will dip a toe into Rev. Shohaku Okumura's wonderful "Realizing Genjokoan," which reflects on that amazing work by Master Dogen. Since the "Genzo" is considered by many a roadmap of sorts to the entire Shobogenzo, it is also a basic introduction to understanding Dogen and his ways.

This week's readings are just the Foreward by another respected Soto Priest, Dogen historian and translator (on many projects with Okumura Roshi), Taigen Dan Leighton, following by a brief Preface by Okumura Roshi himself. We will get into the heart of the book next time.

For now, let me toss out a couple of possible questions to get the ball rolling, although you can talk about anything that strikes you really.

- Before we get into this book, what is your image or previous experience with Dogen and/or trying to read Shobogenzo? Does it ring your bell? Kind of difficult to read? Never tried to really read Dogen before?

- Taigen Leighton's foreward may be a little hard to understand at some points before we read the book. However, anything he said about Dogen and/or the Genzo that impressed you, particularly surprised you, etc.?

By the way, there is a PDF version here, but I very very much encourage all who can afford to purchase the same (especially in light of the Precept on not Stealing). Thank you. This is a temporary measure until your book arrives.
    https://the-eye.eu/public/concen.org...ra.2010%20.pdf

Good sailing!

I think we will spend about a week here before moving on, then a week or two weeks with the readings that follow. We'll see how it goes.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - My own book on reading Dogen comes out from Wisdom Publications in 2020, but my writing is inspired too by this marvelous book by Okumura Roshi.
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-07-2019 at 11:31 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE