Thread: Zen life experience in a Zen monastery

Zen life experience in a Zen monastery

I hope this is the right section of the forum, otherwise please move it to the right section and sorry!

I am an ex Italian monk. I was a monk for 7 years in a religious community in Italy, based on meditation, yoga and the 8 angas of Patanjali Yoga Sutra.
    It's a long time now that I would like to experience how is living in a Zen monastery. I have many friends in Japan (I've been there in 2015) and I asked them if it was possible to experience a Zen life in a monastery in exchange of work. None of my friends could find a program like that. Apparently, ALL of the Zen temples (and maybe also other buddhist temples) accept guests in exchange of money: a lot of money.
    I did other research by myself, I contacted an ex Zen monk and he gave me some contacts. I could finally find a temple, the Antaiji, that accept people who are interested in living a monk life. But these are the rules: a commitment of at least 3 years, knowing Japanese, have some hints about Zen and community life.
    I contacted them asking if it was possible to stay a period of one months and, of course, they say no.

Do some of you have and experience in a Zen monastery in Japan or in the rest of the world as a work exchange program? Can you suggest me a temple where I can do it (from 2 weeks to 1 month) from the 2nd of August? I will be travelling through Asia indefinitely, starting from Japan. If you know a Zen temple where they accept this kind of program, even outside of Japan (I am thinking about Bodhgaya, for example), please let me know!

Thanks

Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Agarash View Post
    I hope this is the right section of the forum, otherwise please move it to the right section and sorry!

I am an ex Italian monk. I was a monk for 7 years in a religious community in Italy, based on meditation, yoga and the 8 angas of Patanjali Yoga Sutra.
    It's a long time now that I would like to experience how is living in a Zen monastery. I have many friends in Japan (I've been there in 2015) and I asked them if it was possible to experience a Zen life in a monastery in exchange of work. None of my friends could find a program like that. Apparently, ALL of the Zen temples (and maybe also other buddhist temples) accept guests in exchange of money: a lot of money.
    I did other research by myself, I contacted an ex Zen monk and he gave me some contacts. I could finally find a temple, the Antaiji, that accept people who are interested in living a monk life. But these are the rules: a commitment of at least 3 years, knowing Japanese, have some hints about Zen and community life.
    I contacted them asking if it was possible to stay a period of one months and, of course, they say no.

Do some of you have and experience in a Zen monastery in Japan or in the rest of the world as a work exchange program? Can you suggest me a temple where I can do it (from 2 weeks to 1 month) from the 2nd of August? I will be travelling through Asia indefinitely, starting from Japan. If you know a Zen temple where they accept this kind of program, even outside of Japan (I am thinking about Bodhgaya, for example), please let me know!

Thanks

Blessings
    Hello Agarash,

Welcome agaln.

l do not know about all Zen temples in Japan, but the ones l know that ask for money are usually extremely cheap, just to ask for food money and maybe a little for the room and electricity.

One of our Japanese members, Kakunen (who is a Soto monk), knows some temples for foreigners well (including Antaiji), so l will ask him to contact you.

Since you are ltalian, you may want to contact this place. lt is not really a monastery, more a temple in Tokyo, with a connection to ltaly. l do not know what they charge.

http://www.toshoji.com/

Also here ...

https://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng...igner/1-8.html

The following is a Rinzai place ...

http://www.tekishin.org/english/index.htm

Gassho, Jundo

STlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-01-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks

Blessings
    Hi.

I know several monastery,where can accept person from western countries.

Please wait few days,because I am busy right now.

I am sorry.

Gassho
    Sat today LAH
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and thank you both!

The prices that I saw are really expensive, they start from 8000 yen (74 USD or 66€) that is more than a medium hotel. And I found many like these.

I will have a look at the link you posted as I will be in Tokyo for a while, and also to the others.

No problem Kakunen, take your time!

Hi and thank you both!

The prices that I saw are really expensive, they start from 8000 yen (74 USD or 66€) that is more than a medium hotel. And I found many like these.

I will have a look at the link you posted as I will be in Tokyo for a while, and also to the others.

Don't confuse the currently popular "temple stay" (kind of an inn or pension that is set in a temple, maybe with a little Buddhist activity happening as just a cultural experience for tourists) and a stay in a monastery or temple for more serious training.

The links l posted above are more serious, and are aimed for foreigners with some serious interest in Buddhism. However, some are more serious/hard/formal than others. For example, some places may let you sit during the morning and night, but then go to a job or be a tourist during the day. Kakunen will advice you.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi and thank you both!

Hi.

How are you today?

I have less time,so this answer is not perfect for you,sorry.

1st
    I was at Antaiji few years ago,but I don't know detail at Antaiji now.
    But head monk Muho(German) or next head monk Eko(Japanese) answer to you.
    Maybe Antaiji don't accept 1 month stay now.But maybe you can ask again,if you
    want.

2nd.
    I can introduce several temple(monastery).These temples accept long practice stay.

Tosho-ji
    Not same temple, Jundo reccomended.Traditional style Zen monastery,lots of monk
    from Europe practice here.Adding link in Japanese.
    http://www.sotozen-net.or.jp/zazenlist-fo/tosho-ji

Joman-ji
    I practiced at here,and head monk Koya(Japanese) can speak English very well,
    and monk who came from US stay here.Highly recommeded.
    http://jomanji.web.fc2.com/index_e.html

And now I ask several temple.Please wait.

3rd.
    As Jundo said,you will not need lots of money to stay,when you can practice at
    Zen temple.Maybe need donation,everything depend on you and temple.

Sorry for bad English.And temples I reccomeded are apart from Tokyo for
    few hour,but you can use high way bus(Less money need)In city side,
    difficult to find temple to Zen practice,as Antaiji.

I will post again.And if you want to ask me,DM or here you can post.

Thank you.

Gassho
    Sat today LAH
    Kakunen
    Last edited by Kakunen; 07-02-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Hi everybody.

I receive pic from temple in Japan.where several monk from Europe and America.

Add pics.

Zen is all around.

Gassho
    Keep on helping.
    Sat LAH
    Kakunen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Don't confuse the currently popular "temple stay" (kind of an inn or pension that is set in a temple, maybe with a little Buddhist activity happening as just a cultural experience for tourists) and a stay in a monastery or temple for more serious training.

The links l posted above are more serious, and are aimed for foreigners with some serious interest in Buddhism. However, some are more serious/hard/formal than others. For example, some places may let you sit during the morning and night, but then go to a job or be a tourist during the day. Kakunen will advice you.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Hi Jundo,

yes you are right. The temples you posted are MUCH more serious (and cheaper) of the one other friends suggested me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post
    Hi.

How are you today?

I have less time,so this answer is not perfect for you,sorry.

1st
    I was at Antaiji few years ago,but I don't know detail at Antaiji now.
    But head monk Muho(German) or next head monk Eko(Japanese) answer to you.
    Maybe Antaiji don't accept 1 month stay now.But maybe you can ask again,if you
    want.

2nd.
    I can introduce several temple(monastery).These temples accept long practice stay.

Tosho-ji
    Not same temple, Jundo reccomended.Traditional style Zen monastery,lots of monk
    from Europe practice here.Adding link in Japanese.
    http://www.sotozen-net.or.jp/zazenlist-fo/tosho-ji

Joman-ji
    I practiced at here,and head monk Koya(Japanese) can speak English very well,
    and monk who came from US stay here.Highly recommeded.
    http://jomanji.web.fc2.com/index_e.html

And now I ask several temple.Please wait.

3rd.
    As Jundo said,you will not need lots of money to stay,when you can practice at
    Zen temple.Maybe need donation,everything depend on you and temple.

Sorry for bad English.And temples I reccomeded are apart from Tokyo for
    few hour,but you can use high way bus(Less money need)In city side,
    difficult to find temple to Zen practice,as Antaiji.

I will post again.And if you want to ask me,DM or here you can post.

Thank you.

Gassho
    Sat today LAH
    Kakunen
    Thanks A LOT Kakunen! I'll contact them.

I sent a message to Antaiji asking for a month stay but they replied that they accept only 3 years commitment and people who ca speak Japanese...

Joman-ji strikes me as a wonderful practice place, from articles that I have seen. Thank you, Kakunen. _()_

https://tabi-labo.com/286004/jomanji

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 07-06-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thanks A LOT Kakunen! I'll contact them.

I sent a message to Antaiji asking for a month stay but they replied that they accept only 3 years commitment and people who ca speak Japanese...
    If you need to support ,please send DM or write here.

I know head monk of Joman-ji and teacher of Tosho-ji.

Sometimes good to send kind of letter to them.

I hope you will have a good practice life.

Gassho
    LAH Sat today.
    kakunen

Quote Originally Posted by Doyū View Post
    Joman-ji strikes me as a wonderful practice place, from articles that I have seen. Thank you, Kakunen. _()_

https://tabi-labo.com/286004/jomanji

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Special temple for us.

Gassho
    Sat today LAH
    kakunen

Thanks for you help, I am now in Jomanji temple in Shikoku, Tokushima prefecture. The head monk is so nice, the place is amazing and I am really enjoying the experience

Oh.

I talked with head monk Koya-Sama few days ago.

Please follow the rules of Jomanji.

Gassho
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 09-13-2019 at 08:57 AM.