Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 3 and 4

"Simple Living" - Chapters 3 and 4

Hi,

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 3 - Savor The Morning Air - At least once or twice this week, take a minute early in the morning, put your hands on your hips (like Superman here) and just breathe deeply from the diaphragm for a minute. (Of course, don't overdo and hyperventilate! Just nice, natural, deep breathing. If someone has health issues, breath as best as one can).

Chapter 4 - Line Up Your Shoes When You Take Them Off - Take an extra 5 seconds to nicely place and align your shoes or slippers when coming in the house, getting into bed etc., or when entering the Zendo to sit Zazen. I happen to have offered a small talk on this practice at our Zazenkai (from the 57:30 mark here):

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I assume the tights and cape are optional.

Gassho

ST/lah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I assume the tights and cape are optional.

Gassho

ST/lah
    James
    No, absolutely not optional!

Gassho, J

STLah

I see the first thread is already closed, but since I just got the book yesterday, I'd like to chime in on that one, plus on this thread.

This morning, I got up (not 15 minutes early; I work at home and get up whenever I want to) and, instead of looking at my phone, I went downstairs and made a cup of tea and sat in my home office for a while, then went out to the garden. I live in a rural area, on the edge of a small village, and it's very quite; there's no through traffic. We have a fairly large garden, which my partner has taken over with a vast profusion of flowers (100 varieties of daffodil, for example). It was chilly this morning (the UK has not yet been hit by the devastating heat wave in continental Europe), and windy, so I walked around the garden slowly, taking in the flowers and plants.

We live across from a wheat field, and on one part of the lawn, we have a patch of wheat grass, that we've let grow. I love to watch this as the wind blows at, and the sunlight dances on the stalks. About 100 yards away, we have a spinney of tall trees - I think they are aspens - whose leaves riffle in the wind. With the morning sun, the movement of the distant leaves was like tiny flashing lights. It smelled nice, felt nice, and it was a nice way to start the day.

Often, in summer, when it's warm enough, I do this. It hasn't been summery where I live yet - even though it's the end of June - so this is the first day I've done so this year. But it's something I enjoy very much. I find that communing with nature first thing in the morning is delightful. (Especially if I wake up too early, as often happens, to want to start working. In that case, I often take tea and a book into the garden.)

As for this thread,

'Take an extra 5 seconds to nicely place and align your shoes or slippers when coming in the house, getting into bed etc., or when entering the Zendo to sit Zazen."

I have a bit of OCD, and tend to always align my shoes and slippers, so this one isn't a help. What I will try, however, is to _not_ align them. :-)

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    I have a bit of OCD, and tend to always align my shoes and slippers, so this one isn't a help. What I will try, however, is to _not_ align them. :-)

Gassho,

Kirk
    l was gonna suggest that! But offer them a little Gassho after "un-aligning" them .

Gassho, J

STLah

Got my copy of the book in the mail this afternoon!

I did Chapter 3 this morning first thing after I got out of bed. It helped me wake up a bit more. I did this facing the bathroom mirror, I will try it watching sunrise next time.

Gassho/\
    Kendrick
    Sat/lah

I am Working on lining up my boots

Doshin
    St

Some time ago I had taken up the practice of lining up my shoes. This week I have noticed I was being a bit sloppy and negligent so good to have this reminder to slow down.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah and lined up my shoes and those of my son just for good measure

This morning I mixed numbers 2 and 3 and breathed while looking at the sky and listening to the birds.
    I tried my hard to arrange my sandals, but my unorganized nature got the best of me sometimes. Still a good habit to develop over time. A small gesture in hope of bringing more organization to my life. Next will be my books and papers.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

"Simple Living" - Chapters 3 and 4

Hi, first thing this morning I breathed deep while looking out the window. I also lined up our shoes by the front door. Being early morning, I did not feel anything in particular other than drowsiness but will continue the practice. I am enjoying this book so far. It is great way to get back to practicing regularly.

ST
    Last edited by Troy; 07-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Hello,

Combining Nr2 and 3 is what I am doing for some years now.
    My little 'Zendo' is in a small garden building and I am starting my day with a slow walk through the garden.
    When it's raining or snowing, I rest a moment under a roof overhang and watch the beginning day from there.
    Again and again, every day is unique and awesome this way.

Carefully placing the shoes now. There are quite a lot of possibilities, expanding this practice to other occasions.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Every time I wake up earlier then expected I tell myself I should do this more often because there's something intensely beautiful about the early morning. The silence, the clean air, the realization that most people are still asleep, and the flow that comes with it make me want to get up earlier more often. Yet, I also need that good night's sleep . Masuno's words on seeing little changes each day even though the morning ritual remains the same rings really well and is great advice in my opinion because we start to pay more attention to the little things in life. This tiny bit of awareness that starts in the early morning hours might snowball into right action each day.

Lining up my shoes is something I've been doing for years. I really don't like a lot of stuff in my place so the stuff that is there should somehow be in harmony as much as possible with the rest of the place. Lined up shoes look so much better . To me, Masuno is spot on about saying that a small thing can have a huge influence on the way you live. I'm told in martial arts class every week, and it is also good advice in the context of our eco-life thread here at Treeleaf.

Gassho,
    Jack Sattoday/lah
    Last edited by Seibu; 07-01-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakedashi View Post
    Yet, I also need that good night's sleep .
    That is really true. I love to wake up very early in the morning. But it has become almost impossible since I started working at night. When I come home after 4 hour of class and having to drive for 100 Km, I simply can't wake up early. I wake up at 5:00 or 5:30 to walk my dog and than return to sleep for another hour or two. If not, I remain a zombie for the rest of the day and it can become a little dangerous when, at night, I have to drive another 100 Km to the university. But I think I can still, count that little walk with the dog as early wake up for the purpose of the Simple Living practice, even if I return to sleep a little more.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!