Thread: Zen and the neuro-diverse brain

Zen and the neuro-diverse brain

Can anyone direct me to a thread where folks who live with ASD/ADHD or both like me have discussed their practice and specifically the challenges associated with how they manage the less amazing aspects. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has found Zazen to be amazing in helping to regulate or calm them but what about those times where we go from 0-100 in a second without the ability to pause long enough to start sitting?
    If there has by some miracle not been a discussion on this I guess I've just started one.

To clarify my relationship with Zazen, it is in its overall infancy. I've been sitting with dedication for about 7 or 8 months and am one of those annoying folk who say "sit Zazen and if that doesn't work sit Zazen" because for the most part this is what I do because it works... for me. My overall Buddhist knowledge though is pretty average at best I'm afraid. Anyhoo...

Gassho
    Anna.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hi Anna, I have one of those “special brains” as well. It makes Zazen and the ritualistic forms of Zen both very difficult and supremely beneficial. I don’t think I would have been able to follow this path without Jundo and the flexibility of Treeleaf; although I do sit formally daily, the time of day and length of my sit vary greatly and I do a lot of insta-Zazen. The discipline and effort involved, in turn, are of benefit in infinite ways to myself and those around me.

I would imagine traditional Zen centers would inadvertently scare away many of us... I almost cut my pinky off in the kitchen my first day at the Monastery... but they were patient with my scatterbrained ways and so I kept going back. If I lived there, I probably would always be the one doing clumsy things, forgetting stuff, sleeping through the bell etc. but here at Treeleaf I can learn at my own pace and in my own way.
    Plus the forum gives the advantage of a much more controlled social platform so there’s much less pressure on anyone “on the spectrum “ socially.

These things have been discussed here before, not sure if they have their own thread though... now they do!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for your reply Jakuden.
    Insta-Zazen YES! I am very much an adherent to that but as you may well understand, 'catching' the moment so we can go to Insta-Zazen is the real challenge, not to mention the huge layers of guilt we pile onto ourselves after a 'meltdown'.
    N.B. For those playing at home a meltdown is the moment literally everything becomes so incredibly overwhelming that we can lash out in ways that aren't that amazing or completely shut down. We can hurt ourselves and others which leaves us exhausted and full of guilt. I ain't purdy.

Gassho Anna

Sat today/Lent a hand
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hi Anna!

I am also one of those individuals with a "special brain". I am ASD/Aspergers, and was diagnosed as a child and now at 30 years old I have had a couple of decades of "figuring it out". I have found the "routine" that my practice gives has helped to give a really solid foundation for the rest of my day. I am definitely a creature of habit and when my day gets a little too chaotic it really helps to have my practice to fall back on as it really gives a sense of stability. For me it is really important to start my day off with formal practice as it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Thanks for starting this thread! It will be nice to chat with others on the spectrum and explore how our practice relates to our experiences!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Hi Anna,

To sit zazen even when you are most distracted or simply you don't feel like sitting, is most beneficial. Most of the times we tend to let our minds run wild with no discipline or containment, and boy does the mind hates to sit quietly!

So we sit and practice form and ceremony. For some of us it's super hard even more so if we have some particular condition. I have come to sit whenever I feel like I am feeling aversion. And within the first 10 minutes, the aversion goes away.

Thank you for sharing.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAN
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi Anna,

I'm another one, and I've written recently about my experience elsewhere here. My being overwhelmed tends to go into shutdown mode where I isolate and go silent for a bit, followed by brief periods of light social interaction. I try to self-regulate but in times of high stress I can really go deep into my shell for a while.

I also have a daily practice, but intense anxiety about attending an in-person sangha again. I am unable to sit still, stay quiet or not fidget. My face does what it wants to, and health problems make it more interesting. With Treeleaf none of that matters. I can sit and be with and bother no one. All the labels and differences drop, and we're all just human beings sitting.

The side effect is I find myself impulsively bowing to most people I meet and work with. Most appreciate this sign of respect, but my family often says, "oh, mom's bowing again...." but they never stop me.

Feel free to msg me if you want to talk about things. Sometimes I may take a while to answer, but eventually I respond. It's not easy but I have found zazen to be good for a lot of what I deal with. And TreeLeaf has been the best place for me, even when I am silent -- I fit here.

Thank you for posting, Anna. We need all voices.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Hi Anna,

I've struggled with similar circumstances for years. Age has helped and, for me, medicine. Zazen used to feel like trying to wrestle an octopus. I lurk about the forum quite a bit, but I'm always happy to talk. You are welcome to drop me a line if you wish.

Gassho,
    Shujin

ST LaH

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Kyoudou Shujin 教道 守仁

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyo View Post
    Hi Anna!

I am also one of those individuals with a "special brain". I am ASD/Aspergers, and was diagnosed as a child and now at 30 years old I have had a couple of decades of "figuring it out". I have found the "routine" that my practice gives has helped to give a really solid foundation for the rest of my day. I am definitely a creature of habit and when my day gets a little too chaotic it really helps to have my practice to fall back on as it really gives a sense of stability. For me it is really important to start my day off with formal practice as it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Thanks for starting this thread! It will be nice to chat with others on the spectrum and explore how our practice relates to our experiences!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT
    Thank you Junkyo.
    I have only in the last few days started my day with Zazen in order to set a good foundation for the rest of the day. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi Anna,

To sit zazen even when you are most distracted or simply you don't feel like sitting, is most beneficial. Most of the times we tend to let our minds run wild with no discipline or containment, and boy does the mind hates to sit quietly!

So we sit and practice form and ceremony. For some of us it's super hard even more so if we have some particular condition. I have come to sit whenever I feel like I am feeling aversion. And within the first 10 minutes, the aversion goes away.

Thank you for sharing.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAN
    Thanks for your reply Kyonin.
    Yes, Zazen as literally been transformative. And yes, to quiet my mind seems to take around 10 minutes before quality Zazen practice can occur. The challenge remains to essentially catch the moment before a 'meltdown' so that Zazen can be undertaken. I'm hoping that overall discipline in practice will help.
    Gassho
    Anna.

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by allwhowander View Post
    Hi Anna,

I'm another one, and I've written recently about my experience elsewhere here. My being overwhelmed tends to go into shutdown mode where I isolate and go silent for a bit, followed by brief periods of light social interaction. I try to self-regulate but in times of high stress I can really go deep into my shell for a while.

I also have a daily practice, but intense anxiety about attending an in-person sangha again. I am unable to sit still, stay quiet or not fidget. My face does what it wants to, and health problems make it more interesting. With Treeleaf none of that matters. I can sit and be with and bother no one. All the labels and differences drop, and we're all just human beings sitting.

The side effect is I find myself impulsively bowing to most people I meet and work with. Most appreciate this sign of respect, but my family often says, "oh, mom's bowing again...." but they never stop me.

Feel free to msg me if you want to talk about things. Sometimes I may take a while to answer, but eventually I respond. It's not easy but I have found zazen to be good for a lot of what I deal with. And TreeLeaf has been the best place for me, even when I am silent -- I fit here.

Thank you for posting, Anna. We need all voices.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Thank you for making me smile with "mom's bowing again" haha.
    Thank you too for the offer to message you. Treeleaf really is a haven of goodness isn't it.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
    Hi Anna,

I've struggled with similar circumstances for years. Age has helped and, for me, medicine. Zazen used to feel like trying to wrestle an octopus. I lurk about the forum quite a bit, but I'm always happy to talk. You are welcome to drop me a line if you wish.

Gassho,
    Shujin

ST LaH

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your kind offer Shujin.
    At 47 and with help from a multitude of medications I am able to function at a reasonable level. Life eh... I thought I would have it sorted by now haha.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hello,

I struggle with a neurotypical brain too being an abuse survivor I struggle with PTSD . Noises during practice really bother me at times but recently I read a book called The Monkey is the Messenger it has helped me a lot with accepting whatever anxiety I have as a part of my Zazen . I understand that the psychology of Shikantanza doesn't interest some here but I think it is fascinating and some Zen teachers especially Joan Halifax have done a lot of work around it that I think give aids to help .

here is a series of Dharma Talks at this link from Upaya on Trauma,Stress Loss and Happiness they may help you as they have me:

https://www.upaya.org/2011/09/zen-brain-aug-2011-series-trauma-stress-loss-and-happiness-all-10-parts/

Here is a link to The Monkey is the Messenger at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Messen...s%2C310&sr=1-1

Hope these help you with your neurotypical brain as they have me.

Gassho,

Karl

STLaH

Quote Originally Posted by karlmalachut View Post
    Hello,

I struggle with a neurotypical brain too being an abuse survivor I struggle with PTSD . Noises during practice really bother me at times but recently I read a book called The Monkey is the Messenger it has helped me a lot with accepting whatever anxiety I have as a part of my Zazen . I understand that the psychology of Shikantanza doesn't interest some here but I think it is fascinating and some Zen teachers especially Joan Halifax have done a lot of work around it that I think give aids to help .

here is a series of Dharma Talks at this link from Upaya on Trauma,Stress Loss and Happiness they may help you as they have me:

https://www.upaya.org/2011/09/zen-brain-aug-2011-series-trauma-stress-loss-and-happiness-all-10-parts/

Here is a link to The Monkey is the Messenger at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Messen...s%2C310&sr=1-1

Hope these help you with your neurotypical brain as they have me.

Gassho,

Karl

STLaH
    Thanks for sharing Karl and thank you for the links and book recommendation.
    At the moment I'm battling my way through Nishijima's translation of the Shobogenzo. Once I've read it a few times (with all the translation notes and other notes it's pretty heavy going - for me) I'll be in a better place to position to read The Monkey is the Messenger.
    *shakes head in disbelief* Who knew that there is so much Buddhist and Dharma related material to read out there?!

Be kind to yourself Karl and thank you again.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/Lent a hand
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Please join us in our "No Words" bookclub where we will begin Okumura Roshi's wonderful introduction to Shobogenzo "Realizing Genjo Koan", in about a week. Please join us.

Shobogenzo is a bit tricky without some understanding.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has found Zazen to be amazing in helping to regulate or calm them but what about those times where we go from 0-100 in a second without the ability to pause long enough to start sitting?
    I'm no teacher, but in my experience it is ok to lose control sometimes, since losing control means we never had the control to control the controlling in the first place! In my past struggles with physical anxiety, panic attacks are quite sudden, and I can't sit zazen during a panic attack-- it makes it worse for me. I would just go through the motions and routines that I would take to get back to normal. Zen practice helped me in the long run to kind of prevent it over time-- not stop it in the middle. It has been almost a decade work-in-progress. Some years are a step back, especially if there has been some trauma. When it comes up now I kind of just tell it that I've seen it before and that I know what it's up to, and that it can stay if it wants, but I won't retreat like I used to.

Gassho, sat today lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Please join us in our "No Words" bookclub where we will begin Okumura Roshi's wonderful introduction to Shobogenzo "Realizing Genjo Koan", in about a week. Please join us.

Shobogenzo is a bit tricky without some understanding.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you Jundo
    I will try to keep an eye out for it.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I'm no teacher, but in my experience it is ok to lose control sometimes, since losing control means we never had the control to control the controlling in the first place! In my past struggles with physical anxiety, panic attacks are quite sudden, and I can't sit zazen during a panic attack-- it makes it worse for me. I would just go through the motions and routines that I would take to get back to normal. Zen practice helped me in the long run to kind of prevent it over time-- not stop it in the middle. It has been almost a decade work-in-progress. Some years are a step back, especially if there has been some trauma. When it comes up now I kind of just tell it that I've seen it before and that I know what it's up to, and that it can stay if it wants, but I won't retreat like I used to.

Gassho, sat today lah
    Thank you for your insights and sharing your experiences.
    I am trying to stick to a regime of sitting Zazen first thing in the morning as I agree it helps set things up for the day. So far it has indeed helped me get into a mindset where doing Zazen amidst chaos is becoming easier. In time I'm hoping to improve further but as you say losing control is ok too.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Not Autism related but for those of us with ADHD or have loved ones with brains that are not neuro-typical this site is brilliant.
    My partner gets their emails and occasionally sends them on to me. This works for me because I get reassurance that (a) I'm different NOT defective and (b) I am reminded that she loves me and does her best to be accepting and understanding - even when the less than brilliant aspects rear their head.

https://www.additudemag.com/slidesho...-need-support/

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Yes, my daughter has ADHD, and autism tends to have trouble with poor executive functioning. Now, people told me this for years without ever explaining what it meant. Until I found Cynthia Kim's book "Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate" which I now call the user's manual to my brain.

Poor executive functioning means that a normal task for some people -- following a recipe, managing projects, planning events -- can be an exercise in frustration and confusion for a person with autism. Also, auditory processing is another big one, understanding verbal information can take us longer to process. We're not stupid, we just process differently.

ADHD and autism share certain characteristics, even though they are different. So my daughter and I share tips, experiences, and frustrations also. She knows she won't be judged, and she shares ideas with me that she finds helpful.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Yes, my daughter has ADHD, and autism tends to have trouble with poor executive functioning. Now, people told me this for years without ever explaining what it meant. Until I found Cynthia Kim's book "Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate" which I now call the user's manual to my brain.

Poor executive functioning means that a normal task for some people -- following a recipe, managing projects, planning events -- can be an exercise in frustration and confusion for a person with autism. Also, auditory processing is another big one, understanding verbal information can take us longer to process. We're not stupid, we just process differently.

ADHD and autism share certain characteristics, even though they are different. So my daughter and I share tips, experiences, and frustrations also. She knows she won't be judged, and she shares ideas with me that she finds helpful.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

That's brilliant Kim.
    My partner IMHO has gone above and beyond to learn about how my brain is wired. For the most part this has actually helped our relationship in that she is more understanding and accepts that I am not trying to make her life difficult sometimes.
    Getting diagnosed later in life - i was forty something IIRC has had its challenges and I regularly struggle with self-acceptance but hey, life eh...
    One of the interesting things is that my best mate who i have been friends with my whole life looks back and he too is now able to explain a myriad of not so positive things i have done over the years. Looking back through my life has also helped him with his own child who has recently been diagnosed ASD.
    Thanks for sharing yours and your daughters experience Kim.

Gassho
    Anna

Sat today/Lent a hand
    Last edited by Onka; 06-28-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Added ST/LAH
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

People started labeling me with stupid acronyms when I was six, but I try not to identify with any of it; I'm a human being; not a DSM IV diagnosis. Due to my executive functioning issues, my mate does most of the adulting, which I know can be very hard on her. On the other hand, she's a hyperverbal triple-shot-espresso extrovert, which can sometimes be very hard on me. My tendency is to shutdown, sometimes rather abruptly (like yesterday); you can almost hear the circuit breakers in my head flipping off. Sound is one of my coal-mine canaries; oversensitivity to loud noise is a signal that my coping skills are a quart low. That's probably why I liked brick-and-mortar Zen centers so much, with their ample opportunities for complete silence. My sitting is non-regulation, on sort of a sliding scale from counting the breath, to following the breath, to shikantaza, and back again, depending upon how disordered, discordant, discursive, and demented my mental state at the moment. Sometimes the best that I can do is to simply sit quietly in the desolation of the smoking ruins. I find great comfort in ritual, and opportunities for quietude and solitude outdoors; practicing a blend of Thich Nhat Hanh's kin hanh and shinrin yoku. I suck at relationships (even on-line ones like this), and said suckage rises and falls like waves along with all the other sequelae. Sometimes I'm simply too deep to make it to the surface.
    Emmet

Hi Emmet;

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've always felt you and I are close to being on the same track. it's when you start feeling OK about finding strange objects in the frig or clothes dryer that life becomes comfortable. Right now I spend much of my time and energy helping my partner cope with aging issues. And, who determines that life should be any other way? Thanks again for your teachings and encouragement.

deep bows in gassho, Shokai
    stlah

p.s. that last line ( stlah) always makes me think of Stanley in "Streetcar Named Desire"
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect but I wanted to update .... I think I mentioned previously that I was going through an in-depth evaluation and diagnostic process for autism.

Well, I spoke with the neuropsychologist today for the results. He has given the diagnosis of autism spectrum and will authorize treatment to begin for social skills (interactive, not drugs).

I just informed my husband, who is happy about this, as he knows how much I struggle to communicate and how often I am misunderstood. He helped fill out the evaluation papers for my initial assessment and was the first to openly say this is who I am and this is good.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect but I wanted to update .... I think I mentioned previously that I was going through an in-depth evaluation and diagnostic process for autism.

Well, I spoke with the neuropsychologist today for the results. He has given the diagnosis of autism spectrum and will authorize treatment to begin for social skills (interactive, not drugs).

I just informed my husband, who is happy about this, as he knows how much I struggle to communicate and how often I am misunderstood. He helped fill out the evaluation papers for my initial assessment and was the first to openly say this is who I am and this is good.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Hi Kim! Welcome to the team! Congratulations on getting your diagnosis!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh
    I live in Tsukuba, Science City, home to Japan's Space Program, dozens of think tanks and research labs, and a few Noble Prize winners. I work with profoundly autistic kids as a volunteer, and thus know a couple of researchers on autism (I have no expertise myself).

I have been told that a disproportionately high percentage of the population of Tsukuba is somewhere on the mild side of the autism sprectrum (Aspergers) because a very high percentage of gifted researchers and scientists and other like smart people tend to be. My impression from living here is that it may be so. However, I am not a doctor in any way and probably should not say.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6719956.html

A friend who is "on the spectrum" told me that things have come very far, and there are many ways that people with Aspergers and the like can learn many good "tricks" to compensate for some inability to "read the feeling in the room" and emote. I would not notice he was autistic unless he had told me.

Gassho, J

STLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi all,

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Hi all,

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Brilliant news Kim. Congratulations on the diagnosis. I found being diagnosed ASD with ADHD to be liberating for the most part but I'm still a wee bit too hyper-vigilant about how I'm coming across to others. I wasn't prescribed meds for ASD but take Ritalin for ADHD. Personally I don't like taking Ritalin but my partner would prefer I keep taking it as it takes the less than awesome 'edge' off of my personality and helps me be a lot less reactive (i.e. aggressive) when confronted with challenges. For the ASD I see a Psychiatrist every 8 weeks and she helps me negotiate life in a less destructive way.
    I'm genuinely stoked for your diagnosis Kim.
    Sending positive vibes to you and your family.
    Gassho
    Anna

Sat today.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I live in Tsukuba, Science City, home to Japan's Space Program, dozens of think tanks and research labs, and a few Noble Prize winners. I work with profoundly autistic kids as a volunteer, and thus know a couple of researchers on autism (I have no expertise myself).

I have been told that a disproportionately high percentage of the population of Tsukuba is somewhere on the mild side of the autism sprectrum (Aspergers) because a very high percentage of gifted researchers and scientists and other like smart people tend to be. My impression from living here is that it may be so. However, I am not a doctor in any way and probably should not say.

A friend who is "on the spectrum" told me that things have come very far, and there are many ways that people with Aspergers and the like can learn many good "tricks" to compensate for some inability to "read the feeling in the room" and emote. I would not notice he was autistic unless he had told me.

Gassho, J

STLAH

Gassho, J

STLAH
    Re: tricks...
    I know that myself and many ASD folks tend to be very good a mimicking things. I can't stand crowds and don't enjoy socialising in groups so I became very good at effectively playing the role of being social. Maybe that's why I'm really good with reading between the lines in people's communication, because I am fully engaged in what people write or say rather than just hearing or reading words.
    I wonder Jundo if people with ASD find it easier to apply Zen focus on everyday tasks beyond sitting Zazen because personally I find it much easier to give my full attention to everyday life tasks than to sitting Zazen. Then again that may be just because I'm distracted from pain when doing things.

Gassho Anna

Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you, everyone, for the support. Jundo, the programs in Japan sound wonderful. I'm devoted to science as well.

Kim

St lh
    Last edited by Meian; 07-20-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Brevity

Thank you to all who put this here so I may found it. And thank you for offering me the "neuro-diverse" term.
    I recently was told by my therapist that she believes I belong in this category, and it seems likely to me that she be right.
    Unnecessary to add, I'm in the midst of a process now. But I look forward to getting to the part of reading this thread.

Gassho,
    Rinmei

(sat today)

Jakuden, Tai Shi here. I support neuroscience in all its forms, and, in fact, science completely compatible with science explains where science gives no methodolgy, gives a methodology of logical exploration. Shikantaze differering approaches embody the great storehouse of Buddhism. Learning gives medical scientists solutions. My bipolar disroder with brain leison differers in ways than regular approaches? Not to say that any surgery is ordinary. My brain presents special problems to neurosergery. I know my Dr will solve them.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-07-2021 at 01:27 PM. Reason: revision
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

So I basically just learned to "deal with it" ( ADD). I cant really say I have any special coping techniques. I do find it hard to sit zazen when my head is full of unrelated nonsense but it seems to calm down after I maintain a regular sitting habit. I just start slow and ease myself back into it then increase the length as I become more accustomed to it.
    Dave
    SAT/LAH

I first learned to meditate because I couldn't concentrate on my studies and wanted to learn some techniques to slow my brain down. Generic meditation led me to Buddhism which led me to Zen and here I am some 12 years later. Then at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with ADHD and now I know why I needed to slow my brain down!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Zen and the neuro-diverse brain

David I find the same thing lol. Every morning that I am able, I sit with Onkai and friends at 8:30 . What a great experience with others from our Zendo and I follow right along with the Shikantaza and it takes me a few minutes of saying The Serenity Prayer actually as Neighbr wrote it with emphasis on her and him changing at the beginning knowing that In the next month I will change more than I have since I was 22 the fall of 1974; especially October is a time of change weather spring, fall, in between . Maybe we might think of Shikantaza as change. Thank goodness there is change or we would all be dead. Think of parts of the Heart Sutra while you try to settle into Shikantaza. I love dipping into memory for it has allowed me to live morally in my old age. Yes for you David.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-12-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    David I find the same thing lol. Every morning that I am able, I sit with Onkai and friends at 8:30 . What a great experience with others from our Zendo and I follow right along with the Shikantaza and it takes me a few minutes of saying The Serenity Prayer actually as Neighbr wrote it with emphasis on her and him changing at the beginning knowing that In the next month I will change more than I have since I was 22 the fall of 1974; especially October is a time of change weather spring, fall, in between . Maybe we might think of Shikantaza as change. Thank goodness there is change or we would all be dead. Think of parts of the Heart Sutra while you try to settle into Shikantaza. I love dipping into memory for it has allowed me to live morally in my old age. Yes for you David.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

What is more important to us if we do act less absolutely. Thank goodness there are no absolutes there lol is simply a range for emotions, intellectual, reality, fiction. Fiction and the individual life is what keeps happening intertwined with reality and life and death,?and earth and sky and matter, energy and space, this is what Einstein shoed in most difficult ways I cannot comprehend. Only today so I have read are we aware just how right he was. These are parts of the Theory of Relativity only now understood. Thus he describes In beauty the natural and the greatest humanity can comprehend so for and then a few of us.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    I first learned to meditate because I couldn't concentrate on my studies and wanted to learn some techniques to slow my brain down. Generic meditation led me to Buddhism which led me to Zen and here I am some 12 years later. Then at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with ADHD and now I know why I needed to slow my brain down!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah
    I have been wondering of most people who are religious converts are neuro-diverse. I suspect that my different-working brain helped bring me to Zen.

Sat so much today and always and everything sat with me.
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...