Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: Our 2019 TREELEAF Home-Leaving ORDINATIONS

ANNOUNCEMENT: Our 2019 TREELEAF Home-Leaving ORDINATIONS

Dear All,

I am very content to make this announcement, and ask everyone sitting with our Sangha to join in its celebration. OUR SANGHA WILL WELCOME THROUGH 'Home Leaving' ORDINATION THREE NEW NOVICE-PRIEST TRAINEES, well known faces around here ...

SERGEY WASHIN TSARENKO, AMELIA GEIKA RALSTON
    and ALLAN SHINSHI DUE

They will join our present Novice-Priest Trainees, Byokan, Shoka, Kokuu and Jakuden, Shugen and Sekishi, and our Transmitted Priests, Shokai, Shingen and Kyonin. Geika, Shinshi and Washin will be Ordained by me (Jundo) as Novice Priest-Trainees at a Shukke Tokudo "Homeleaving" Ordination Ceremony that currently is anticipated to be held on Sunday, July 14th, 2019.

From time to time, after undertaking Zen practice for many years, a person may feel in their heart a certain calling. They may wish to train in our traditions and embody them in order to keep this way alive into the next generation as clergy. They may feel a calling within themselves to live as a servant and minister to the community, to the Sangha and to all living beings.

Traditionally, in India, China, Japan and the other Buddhist countries of Asia, one was expected to leave one’s home and family behind in order to begin the necessary training and practice of an “apprentice”. Thus, the ancient ceremony of ordination in Buddhism became known as Shukke Tokudo, “Leaving Home to Take the Way”. Now, in modern Japan and in the West, one great change in the nature of Buddhist clergy has been that many of us function more as “ministers” than “monks,,” with family and children, often with outside jobs as “Right Livelihood” supporting us, while ministering to a community of parishioners. This, in keeping with changes in cultures and society, has done much to bring Buddhism out from behind monastery walls. While now we may be living in a monastic setting for periods of weeks or months (and thus can be called “monks” during such times), we then return to the world beyond monastery walls, where these teachings have such relevance for helping people in this ordinary life. We are not bound by monastery walls, dropping all barriers separating "inside" from "out". Thus, the term “leaving home” has come to have a wider meaning, of “leaving behind” greed, anger, ignorance, the harmful emotions and attachments that fuel so much of this world, in order to find the “True Home” we all share. In such way, we find that Home that can never be left, take to the Way that cannot be taken.

Someone’s undertaking “Shukke Tokudo” is not a “raising up” of their position in the Sangha, it is not an honor or “promotion” into some exalted status, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is a lowering of oneself in offering to the community, much as all of us sometimes deeply bow upon the ground in humility, raising up others and the whole world above our humbled heads.

It is to volunteer and offer oneself as the lowest ‘sailor on the ship’ at the beck and call of the passengers' well-being and needs, a nurse to help clean soiled linens, a brother or sister to sacrifice oneself for a family, a friend offering to help carry a burden. One must be committed sincerely to serve and benefit others, and one must not undertake such a road for one’s own benefit, praise or reward.

What is more, the undertaking of “Shukke Tokudo” is not the end of the road of training, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is but the first baby steps. Perhaps, years down the road, the person will find that that they still have the inner calling to continue this path … and, perhaps, years down the road, they may have embodied this Tradition sufficiently to continue it and be certified as a fully Dharma Transmitted “priest” and a teacher … but there is no guaranty of any of that. Some will withdraw by their change in feelings, some will be asked to withdraw. (Both have happened in our Sangha in the past.) For this reason, one undertaking “Home Leaving” is not yet recognized in the Zen world as truly a fully ordained “priest” for many years, and is called an “Unsui”, meaning “clouds and water”. The best translation in English is “apprentice priest” or "novice priest" or “priest trainee”. Perhaps, years down the road, some trainees will be felt to have embodied these traditions sufficiently in order to function independently as teachers and to receive Dharma Transmission … but not necessarily. For now, they are expected to learn … with the future not assured, and no promises about the future. (Of course, we are all beginners, all students … all learning from each other … teachers learning from students too).

We hope that, in the coming years, other people will feel this same calling. It must be by mutual decision. It is not something that should be rushed into, nor rushed through. Although people are all different, maybe a good time to first consider such a thing would be only after practicing for 5 years or longer, and then it should be deeply thought about (and non-thought about) for longer still before first taking on the responsibilities of being an apprentice student-priest.

For now, I am pleased to announce that Shinshi, Washin and Geika will be our next “class” of Novice Priest-Trainees.

We hope that you will join us in wishing them well in their start on this long undertaking. Most of you will know them very well from their almost daily participation here over several years, and the energy, wisdom and compassion they always bring to our community. The ceremony will occur much as our prior Ordination Ceremonies, with all of our Sangha brought together across oceans using all means of modern media, dropping all thought of place and time.

As in all we undertake in our Sangha, the ceremony will not be limited to a specific location, much as our annual Jukai here at Treeleaf … and we hope that you will all join us for the ceremonies when the day comes.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-03-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wow! Congrats! What excellent choices!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Congratulations to all. I join Jishin in noting the excellent selection of candidates. I will be honoured to join the witnesses at your Shukke Tokudo Ceremony.

Gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Mp
    Wonderful and lovely ... Not two but one!

Congratulations and welcome to the path. Look forward to walking and sharing this journey together with all of you.

Will be there live to celebrate.

Deep bows
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Wonderful news!
    I will be there, witnessing and celebrating too.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you. I hope to be of some benefit to the many beings.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you.
    I bow humbly before you.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

Congratulations and deep bows to Washin, Geika and Shinshi.

Jinyo

Sat today

Congratulations, wonderful news!

Gassho,

Neil

STLaH

Congratulations!

Gassho
    Hoseki/lah
    Sattoday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations. Definitely excellent choices. I will plan on joining in to witness this wonderful event.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Congratulations and many thanks.

Gassho,

Hobun/Michael

ST

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dear Geika, Shinshi and Washin

I am so delighted that the three of you are joining the priest training programme. I cannot think of any better people for the role!

July 14th will be a day to celebrate!

Thank you for your dedication to the sangha.

Deep bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Deep bows and Congratulations to all! I will be marking this on my calendar!

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Wow that is great. Congratulations all .

Gassho,
    Jack
    Sattoday/lah

Congratulations! Great news

Gassho,

Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words everyone. It is my complete honor to join the ranks of the amazing priests here at Treeleaf.

It is an interesting experience - on one hand it feels like a major step in a new direction, on the other it feels like the natural next step in my life.

I really appreciate everyone's support.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Congratulations!

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

I've checked some of your profiles before just to make sure you weren't unsui and I somehow missed it! Congratulations to Washin, Geika, Shinshi.

Nanrin

Sat

Doshin
    St

Dear Geika, Shinshi and Washin, I can't thank you enough for making this commitment. If Treeleaf is to survive into the future as a sangha it will be through the dedication of folks like you. And Jundo my friend, thank you for providing this path for those that chose to start at the beginning.

Peace
    SAT TODAY
    Shozan

Great news. Congratulations and deep bows.

James
    STlah

Congratulation Geika, Shinshi and Washin.
    Thank you for this commitment to the Sangha.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Congratulations dearest Geika, Shinshi and Washin. It is such an honor and joy to practice with you all I will be there to celebrate with you!!
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations, Geika, Shinshin, and Washin. I feel sure that this will be of benefit to many beings.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Kyotai
    Congratulations to all

Gassho Kyotai
    ST

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Congrats to all.
    I'm a new member of this Sangha and a new practitioner (as evidenced by my willingness to publicly demonstrate my ignorance) so I look forward to hopefully developing life long relationships with you all, as well as the current novice & fully ordained Priests.
    Cheers and delicious non-alcoholic beers to all.
    Gassho, Anna.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Congratulations! I look forward to our time together.

Gassho,

Shugen

Sattoday/LAH
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Congratulations to all! Much respect!

Gassho /\

Kendrick
    SatTonight/Lah

Thank you Geika, Shinshi, and Washin for committing to serve this Sangha and good luck and all the best on your path as Unsui

Gassho
    Souchi

SatToday

Geika, Shinshi, and Washin ,thank you for your service to the sangha.
    Gassho

ST/LAH

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Washin, Shinshi and Geika. Deep bows to you all.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Deep bows and congratulations ♡♡♡ I will be out of town with only occasional internet for part of July. But I will tune in as soon as. What a wonderful journey.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Congratulations and Deep Bows to you all!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Congratulations to you all and thanks to you as well. I'm certain you'll be holding my hand somewhere down the Dharma path sometime in the future, and I hope to be able to pay that forward sometime as well. I appreciate your inspiration.

Gassho

Sat today
    Last edited by Choboku; 06-24-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Forgot Gassho

My heart is moved in admiration for the candidates.

---Dan

sat today lah

Dear Geika, Washin and Shiunshi,

Congratulations! Welcome home! It will be an honor to participate in your ceremony.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Congratulations, friends.

ST, LAH

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Kyoudou Shujin 教道 守仁

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Congrats to all.
    I'm a new member of this Sangha and a new practitioner (as evidenced by my willingness to publicly demonstrate my ignorance) so I look forward to hopefully developing life long relationships with you all, as well as the current novice & fully ordained Priests.
    Cheers and delicious non-alcoholic beers to all.
    Gassho, Anna.
    Anna,

I just saw your post now -- I love your humor! I am not a new practitioner (in theory) yet I am often willing to "publicly demonstrate my ignorance" and often without even being aware that I'm doing it The kind people here are so very patient with us. ♡

Thank you for that, you made me laugh out loud in a good way. And if you have extra, I'll enjoy a non-alcoholic beer also to help celebrate.

Gassho
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Congratulations!

Gassho

Jen

Sat Today

14th has been set aside on my calendar.

Do we have a sense of the start and ending time? _()_

gassho
    doyu sat today/lah
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 07-06-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: asking about times _()_
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Sunday, July 14th 2019 is the day before revision of my left total knee. Thus, this next day from ordination of two I highly respect members of Treeleaf my Sangha will a serious operation for me. This operation may mean a new total knee, or it may mean "fix-it-up." I will remember this ordination as I did one in San Francisco after Jundo had visited so many in the US, and I was privileged to be part of both as three of us met in Omaha for Zazenkai, two went on for more sitting and beautiful contact. I watched ordination on You Tube with signal streamed to my TV dedicated for hours. I will watch again with humility. Humility which I have sought now simply happened as those who undertake a life of service. I wish them so much good feeling and Best wishes, and all that our Sangha, a life of service. May I be ever present for our Priests-In-Training.

Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Sunday, July 14th 2019 is the day before revision of my left total knee. Thus, this next day from ordination of two I highly respect members of Treeleaf my Sangha will a serious operation for me. This operation may mean a new total knee, or it may mean "fix-it-up." I will remember this ordination as I did one in San Francisco after Jundo had visited so many in the US, and I was privileged to be part of both as three of us met in Omaha for Zazenkai, two went on for more sitting and beautiful contact. I watched ordination on You Tube with signal streamed to my TV dedicated for hours. I will watch again with humility. Humility which I have sought now simply happened as those who undertake a life of service. I wish them so much good feeling and Best wishes, and all that our Sangha, a life of service. May I be ever present for our Priests-In-Training.

Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Hi Tai Shi,

We will dedicate the total merit of the Ordination to the total healing of your total knee.

Step by step, you will be back playing professional soccer in no time!

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you all, my dearest friends.

I am deeply moved and looking forward to this important event and a new step on my path.
    I hope to continue being of service for this wonderful community.

Gassho,
    Washin
    st-lah
    Last edited by Washin; 07-10-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Congrats to all of you. Thank you for your decision to help us.

_/\_ Dave ST/LAH

Warm wishes for our baby buddhas. Welcome to the path of love for others, a path of radical hospitality....