Thread: no goal vs motivation

no goal vs motivation

it is important to have "no goal" towards ones practice, but is it harmful to have "motivation"? I mean, I sit zazen ("really sit", cross legged) first thing in the morning and last thing (well, second to last, I pray afterwards) before bed. I "mindfully" ride the bus to and from work using a meditation app. And I look forward to these moments. I like the calmness, I like how my "downtime" helps me in my interactions with others, I like how it helps me keep (or at least trying to keep) in the moment throughout the day. Is this a type of goal?
    #sattoday
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

Hi,

It sounds exausting like swimming upstream.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Quote Originally Posted by bayamo View Post
    it is important to have "no goal" towards ones practice, but is it harmful to have "motivation"? I mean, I sit zazen ("really sit", cross legged) first thing in the morning and last thing (well, second to last, I pray afterwards) before bed. I "mindfully" ride the bus to and from work using a meditation app. And I look forward to these moments. I like the calmness, I like how my "downtime" helps me in my interactions with others, I like how it helps me keep (or at least trying to keep) in the moment throughout the day. Is this a type of goal?
    #sattoday
    Hi Bayamo,
    You might be interested in this recent thread, where people are discussing 'the goal-less goal' of practice.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-Goal-Setting

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Hi Bayamo,
    You might be interested in this recent thread, where people are discussing 'the goal-less goal' of practice.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-Goal-Setting

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    Thank you. I feel that this "no goal" aspect is very much misunderstood. Here was my response in that thread.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post241661

Yes, there are times to sit without goal at all, such as during Zazen or Kinhin, when our only goal is to sit to sit, walk this walk. If riding the bus and practicing there ... ride to just ride. As the bus moves forward, there is no place to go!

However, if we truly had no goal, we could not function. I have goals all day, from pick up the kids at school to go to the gym to dust the house.

Much better is to learn to experience life two ways at once as one, not one not two: Namely, goals AND goallessness AT ONCE! Climbing, working, planning, multi-tasking, striving ... yet also just this and this and this, here and here and here, experienced back and forth as if seeing the world two (not two) different ways.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you. I feel that this "no goal" aspect is very much misunderstood. Here was my response in that thread.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post241661

Yes, there are times to sit without goal at all, such as during Zazen or Kinhin, when our only goal is to sit to sit, walk this walk. If riding the bus and practicing there ... ride to just ride. As the bus moves forward, there is no place to go!

However, if we truly had no goal, we could not function. I have goals all day, from pick up the kids at school to go to the gym to dust the house.

Much better is to learn to experience life two ways at once as one, not one not two: Namely, goals AND goallessness AT ONCE! Climbing, working, planning, multi-tasking, striving ... yet also just this and this and this, here and here and here, experienced back and forth as if seeing the world two (not two) different ways.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Think I need this, but I understand all of it and nothing at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
    Carl Carlson

It sounds great to me, as long as you aren't expecting to "get" something in particular out of it. Actually, it sounds a lot like what I think of as "Bodhicitta." The mind of awakening, or the desire for enlightenment out of compassion for others.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH